WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

My family and friends here (very biased sample I'm sure) have also all said we're only going back to the theatre when a vaccine passport system is in place, and case counts are reasonably low.

I saw TSS a few weeks back but it just didn’t feel right and I felt nervous. I’m not judging anyone who goes to the theatre and I want to get back into it but right now I’m just not there yet. I’m really disappointed cause I wanna see Shang-Chi next week. I’ve never missed a marvel movie opening weekend. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Seeing Free Guy a few days ago was my first time at the theater since Old due to life changes and Delta concerns, and wearing a KN95 for over 2 hours was not enjoyable at all (Shoutout to our healthcare workers who have been dealing with this for the entirety of the pandemic). I was fine wearing a cloth mask prior to updated guidelines in Late May, but given how bad COVID is in Florida right now, that's not enough protection for somewhere like a theater. I'm glad there's not much I want to see in September; hopefully cases drop dramatically enough soon.

Can't deny, I'm pretty glad I called off my trip next month. Though that was more because I couldn't guarantee getting in to the country. The car I bought instead is pretty good consolation though haha

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Seeing Free Guy a few days ago was my first time at the theater since Old due to life changes and Delta concerns, and wearing a KN95 for over 2 hours was not enjoyable at all (Shoutout to our healthcare workers who have been dealing with this for the entirety of the pandemic). I was fine wearing a cloth mask prior to updated guidelines in Late May, but given how bad COVID is in Florida right now, that's not enough protection for somewhere like a theater. I'm glad there's not much I want to see in September; hopefully cases drop dramatically enough soon.

Aren’t you vaccinated (and pretty young)?

Edited by Lokis Legion

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, my area is starting to elevate close to my "not gonna go in" level...if I was in a different part of my state, I'd already be there, but my area is highly vaxxed, so we're trailing the terrible straight line up that the rest of the state has.  After a movie I promised my youngest this week (which I may hit late on a weeknight for an empty theater b/c we can), I may pause going for a month or two until I see the straight line up hospitalization line start to turn and go down...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also speaking of Tenet, the movie released a year ago this weekend. Funnily enough, seeing a bunch of people on my twitter feed talking about it (think there were 70mm screenings this weekend). Nice to see people finally accepting it as an incomprehensible, beautiful masterpiece.

I still don't understand how so many cinephiles find it incomprehensible, unless they've only seen it once. After a second viewing everything made sense to me. 

Yup, I'm in Texas, so I haven't been to the theater since Old. Tried to make it for The Green Knight but all showings were packed (AMC here is no longer at reduced capacity, or at least wasn't at that time), so we decided to wait for on-demand. Jungle Cruise and Suicide Squad we were planning to watch at home anyway. Free Guy and Candyman are the only two that I'm missing out on, which is a shame since I always love being a part of opening weekend when something outperforms expectations. 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Some quick thoughts. 

First, I know I haven't been around much in the last 18 months.  I've had a lot of personal things going on.  I'm hoping to be more active here this fall.  I miss some of you nerds.

Terrific opening for Candyman.  I didn't see that coming.  Great weekend multiplier and the WOM looks to be strong.  I'm hoping to see it tonight.

As a Reynolds fan, it's awesome to see Free Guy doing well.  It's my favourite film of the year so far and if I'm not mistaken, along with Jungle Cruise, this will be the only original property to cross 100 mill domestic.  No sequel, no super heroes, no comic book crowd.  Fantastic to see that.

Now some bad news.  Vaccine passports are coming fast and furious to Canada.  BC, Quebec and now Ontario (about 27 of the 37 million people) are now vax passport provinces.  This means that about 25% of the population will not be able to go to a movie theatre.  I'm not sure how many states are going to follow suit.   But here, it's getting pretty draconian.  

As for other films I haven't commented on....what a terrific performance by AQP2.  That gross makes me really happy.  

Same with Black Widow, especially considering how well it did simultaneously on D+.

Suicide Squad....wow, what a disaster.

F9 still going strong during Covid.  I think it would of had a chance at 900 during non Covid times.

I've been reading that Shang-Chi is going to open to 60 million.  I don't see that happening.  I'll probably be wrong (my box office skills are weak at the moment) I'm thinking more like 45 three day.

Hope you're all well.

Here’s the thing from a cinema employee: that 25% can come to a movie if they want. They just need their shots. 

it’s that easy :)

• Like 2

I'm in Pitt and I go regularly every weekend with my mask. I'm vaccinated, as well. "Thankfully" the theaters have been less than half full every time I've gone. Like 30-ish people is most I've had since F9/Black Widow. Drastic decrease from the last few years. Not many theaters near me so even something like Stuber's 7pm Thursday had double than what's currently attending. I sit up close and away from crowds. But I absolutely understand the concerns people still have. We go to the theaters for enjoyment and escapism, creeping suspension and dread in the back of your mind is not the ideal headspace for watching a movie with John Cena. 

The next step is probably vax cards?

14 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I still don't understand how so many cinephiles find it incomprehensible, unless they've only seen it once. After a second viewing everything made sense to me. 

The broad strokes of the film aren't hard to understand. But the movie is intentionally incomprehensible in terms of its details. I mean that last battle is literally just Nolan fucking around with cause and effect to the point that it's hard to tell which is which.

• Like 1

If people are nostalgic for Raimi's Spider-man then there's probable some nostalgia for the Matrix.

I'm guessing 55+ m is the floor.

We'll see if WB flakes with the release date. My guess is that Matrix 4 or The Batman will be the next trailer to break the internet.

I moved to the US (Bay Area) a bit over a week ago and went to the cinemas 6 times so far. And honestly, felt a lot safer going to the cinema here than when I lived before even though the post-pandemic crowds here are bigger than there. Still, don't think I've been to a screening since the pandemic where the cinema was more than 50% occupied (with Candyman thursday previews being the most I've seen so far).

47 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Matrix has a better chance of doing that opening day. Dune, yeah, I could see it flopping. King Richard is the kind of thing that would open to 20m OW and then get a 5x multiplier, but Max is worse for legs than openings. I think it still does 20m OW weekend but doesn't get the leggy run it otherwise would.

Paw Patrol living proof of how bad free streaming kills legs more than openings. 

King Richard was definitly gonna be a big leggy hit. I was thinking 26-28M OW and a total of 120-130M in a normal market.

Matrix will suffer from being easily available for free. I think people will prefer to see options not available online or on streaming, like No Way Home.

Most of the August showings I’ve been at (a Richmond midplex) have been pretty dead, but BW previews were a packed house with no masks in a several hundred seater. Great stuff, 100% comfortable there with my 65 year old dad. The vaccines are great folks!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

despite being The Biggest Movie of the Twenties bad boys 3 is pretty forgettable. tried too hard to Fast & Furious those movies.

i wish it had been sonic.

Sonic is as forgettable as Bad Boys. It's been a rough 2 years.

38 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Can't deny, I'm pretty glad I called off my trip next month. Though that was more because I couldn't guarantee getting in to the country. The car I bought instead is pretty good consolation though haha

Florida is a goddamn mess right now - always is, but I have no idea when this COVID wave will subside back to late spring numbers. Hopefully I'm employed and out of state soon enough.

33 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Aren’t you vaccinated (and pretty young)?

Yes and yes but I live with an at-risk parent for the time being and would rather minimize any chance of catching and spreading it bar short of staying home all the time (which wouldn't be healthy for my current mental state). Once I move I'm sure I'll resume normal theatergoing habits.

28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, my area is starting to elevate close to my "not gonna go in" level...if I was in a different part of my state, I'd already be there, but my area is highly vaxxed, so we're trailing the terrible straight line up that the rest of the state has.  After a movie I promised my youngest this week (which I may hit late on a weeknight for an empty theater b/c we can), I may pause going for a month or two until I see the straight line up hospitalization line start to turn and go down...

All valid points. Shang-Chi, Card Counter, and Dear Evan Hansen will probably be my only September viewings in theaters providing I'm still in Florida.

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So happy for her. Also , very surprised this didn't happen before. She is getting her second number 1 movie soon. :hi5:

It has a chance at passing Pet Semetary (57.4m) as highest grossing horror directed by a woman? Only needs a 2.5 multiplier to give it 56m off a 22.4m opening