WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

I'm looking forward to walking into a 12-16 screen theater on Oct. 22nd and seeing a lineup of something like this....

Dear Evan Hansen

Many Saints of Newark

Addams Family 2

No Time To Die

Halloween Kills x 2

Venom 2 x 2

The Last Duel

Ron's Gone Wrong

Dune x 2

Jackass Forever

If you are looking for $100m+ weekends again, there is exactly what you need. It's beautiful.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The main problem I see right now is depth in the top 10. The 100M total weekend was carried by a 80M OW from BW. You need more movies making decent money overall for this to be sustainable in the long run.

Tbf, the best weekends in normality are carried by like 90% of their gross from a Marvel or SW blockbuster. So if the first 5 weekends over 100M post-pandemic are like, BW SC V2 Eternals NWH OWs… well, meet the new Hollywood, same as the old Hollywood.   

Though Oct 8 and 22 also have solid shots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Oct. 15th alone should hit it just between 2 or 3 films.  Same thing with Oct. 22nd.  

I could see V2 and Halloween kills going over 100 between them, sure.   

Oct 22, no way. V2 and kills will both drop mightily, maybe like 60M combined for optimism? And Dune won't sniff 40, so if you're going over 100 there it is taking at least the next couple movies to push it over the edge.

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Just feels like the 15th+22nd weekends will lead into some cannibalism and prevent films from reaching full potential. 

Also, probably complicates the expansion of a platform release like French Dispatch.

It won't do anything to The French Dispatch, that won't even get out relatively wide until at least Nov. 5th

24 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I could see V2 and Halloween kills going over 100 between them, sure.   

Oct 22, no way. V2 and kills will both drop mightily, maybe like 60M combined for optimism? And Dune won't sniff 40, so if you're going over 100 there it is taking at least the next couple movies to push it over the edge.

Both Venom 2 and Halloween Kills should drop around the 60% range. And Dune should be close to $40 mil ($35 mil probably). Around $80 mil combined from just these three movies. Jackass probably around $15 mil opener and the rest should be enough for the weekend to cross $100 mil.

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Even with a day and date release in one country, it would have no issue being a blockbuster.

It will in that one country, which is the one country whose performance we have been speaking of in this conversation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

It will in that one country, which is the one country whose performance we have been speaking of in this conversation.

You brought up some stuff about "real blockbuster" (which, honestly very flexible at this point) that had nothing to do with this tho. Just said that the movie opening close to $40 mil is feasible.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

will H kills even do that well considering how mediocre the 2018 version is?? i dont think so

Horror fans love it. It got a B+ Cinemascore and fell less than 60% in its second weekend despite being the biggest slasher film opening ever. 

I’m not too worried about the older demograph coming back. 
Sure, they didn’t come out for Respect to any great degree. What it will take is a big blockbuster that really appeals to their age group. They’ll come out, enjoy themselves and get back into the habit. 

007 - your time is now!!! 

• Like 1