Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

So is Shang Chi a fluke or is it safe to see that the box office is in a rebound? considering Free Guy, Candyman and Shang-Chi have all overperformed, as long as there isn't anymore more major lockdowns then it would seem the box office is on a rebound. October is set to be huge. people can say august was down, but there just wasn't that much to see. if most of the films releasing Oct-Dec keep their release dates we are in for a strong 4th quarter. with several potential $200m hits and at least one $300m hit (Spidy NWH)

I do have one slight worry - Venom 2 might have been slated to underperform a tiny bit even before COVID-19, as sequels to surprise breakouts often do. That means it could underperform for reasons independent of Delta, but get framed as a Delta failure. Bond was much more of a steady bet. But Venom also has more upside.

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Someone did say this is Chapek's account:)...although maybe it's just a Chapek a$$kisser...

Strange, they normal do that for just Disney. But that’s not too fair of a stretch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do have one slight worry - Venom 2 might have been slated to underperform a tiny bit even before COVID-19, as sequels to surprise breakouts often do. That means it could underperform for reasons independent of Delta, but get framed as a Delta failure. Bond was much more of a steady bet. But Venom also has more upside.

IMO Venom would be in a much better position if they moved it back to it's late September release date, it would have almost no competition, mid-october it would have to compete with like 4 other blockbuster hopefuls (Bond, Dune, Halloween and Hotel Transylvania) all hoping to reach $100m (Bond will for sure, not sure if all the others can)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kalo said:

So is Shang Chi a fluke or is it safe to see that the box office is in a rebound? considering Free Guy, Candyman and Shang-Chi have all overperformed, as long as there isn't anymore more major lockdowns then it would seem the box office is on a rebound. October is set to be huge. people can say august was down, but there just wasn't that much to see. if most of the films releasing Oct-Dec keep their release dates we are in for a strong 4th quarter. with several potential $200m hits and at least one $300m hit (Spidy NWH)

It's definitely in a rebound but I'll be curious what happens to the first major hype film (No Way Home). I'd say domestically, the market is about 80-90% of pre-pandemic levels (in terms of the GA actually going to the theater).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Paramount kicking themselves with their cold feet mm going T I'll pnGub and now everyone else taking up any viable spot to move back to.

I don't think so, in fact I am glad they vacant 2021. The recovery is still very fragile, we only have 2 weekend so far in 2021, that the aggregate box office pass 100m (BW and SC), and they only narrowly pass it.  

Good news is if SC can open to 76m when there are 160k+ cases and 1.6k death per day, I would say that the worst has passed, at least for cinema. Any improvement in covid situation is  a plus point for cinema. 

• Like 1

I do think that Venom 2 was always going to gross less than the first. a lot of people like it, but a lot also hated it. I personally enjoyed, but I wouldn't call it a great film by any means, fun and somewhat unique in a cheesy way maybe even good, but not great. 

5 hours ago, Arian1010 said:

Aside from the quality of the action scenes, I can tell that both HK reviews and early reviews on Douban come to the same conclusions that 
- It feels like Wenwu was the male lead and not Shang Chi

Not only HK. I see these reactions everywhere and I definitely felt as if Simu Liu was just there for other actors to act off of rather than the other way around. IMO, he's Jai Coutney/Sam Worthington/Anthony Mackie low level charisma. One of rare MCU IPs where the hero is whatever and upstaged by all of the supporting cast while the villain is the standout. Not a deal breaker because other cast members including cameos are really entertaining and energetic. But yeah not the jackpot with this one. Low tier Marvel lead for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not only HK. I see these reactions everywhere and I definitely felt as if Simu Liu was just there for other actors to act off of rather than the other way around. IMO, he's Jai Coutney/Sam Worthington/Anthony Mackie low level charisma. One of rare MCU IPs where the hero is whatever and upstaged by all of the supporting cast while the villain is the standout. Not a deal breaker because other cast members including cameos are really entertaining and energetic. But yeah not the jackpot with this one. Low tier Marvel lead for sure. 

lol stop trolling. people literally said the same thing about Chadwick with Black Panther movie how he was overshadowed by everyone and he's boring blah blah but since Chadwick passed away people wanna act like they wasn't saying how he was second fiddle to Killmonger and Shuri

Edited by iHeartJames
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

May I know if Venom 2 is getting 45 days exclusive window or Sony still retain pre-covid window period?

It seems like it depends movie to movie. Escape Room 2 still isn't available on VOD. However, Don't Breathe 2 already is since last Friday.

18 minutes ago, Kalo said:

IMO Venom would be in a much better position if they moved it back to it's late September release date, it would have almost no competition, mid-october it would have to compete with like 4 other blockbuster hopefuls (Bond, Dune, Halloween and Hotel Transylvania) all hoping to reach $100m (Bond will for sure, not sure if all the others can)

Nah, they want every Cinemark 1 ticket/month subscriber who already used their 1 September ticket on Shang Chi to use their 1 October ticket on Venom - there is subscriber strategy there:)...

Plus, Venom is horror...and horror is October...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Disbelief 1

When will people like ERC realise that PA eats into revenue and that people WILL PAY to see something at home after a theatrical release - as they have done for decades. The dude’s argument is embarrassing and has to be agenda driven. 

Going day and date relinquishes control of the product from the minute it’s online, quashing potential repeat revenue from the same customer. 

Anyway….

can we now officially acknowledge that Shang Chi might have just saved the movies as we know it? Sony’s move today is joyous. 

Look at that fall line-up kids! It’s beautiful. Oh how I wish WB would just can the HBO Max debacle a couple of months early - that would be the icing on the cake. 

Bond being sandwiched between Venom and Halloween is absolutely stellar. Continuous big exclusive product is what theaters have needed for months. 

• Like 5