Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

1 hour ago, Nerfy said:

At my theater they played a promo for Regal Crown Club before the movie saying “You get points for each movie you watch this year: Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals.” And showed how much points you get for watching three movies. That got a chuckle out of me but it’s also kind of sad. 

We got this too. Tbh, It made sense that it was tied Marvel since it also promoted the Disney Movie Insiders club.  

Or perhaps they just knew that everything kept moving, and picked the titles which weren’t.

It’s pretty funny watching the trailers thinking that just moved, that just moved, that’s not moving. That’s probably not moving.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Thinking 8-8.5 for the preview number based on regional trackers, since I'm bad at reading the other kind of tracking numbers.

Apparently Jatinder was thinking 9m-9.5M around late last night/early morning.

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Krissykins so Deadline and Variety eating a crow pie then. :stirthepot:

It’s nothing new, as I’ve been told on this forum before, industry tracking usually lowballs for better headlines on Sunday.

This will give the impression that Shang-Chi has surprised/overperformed with $70m+, when in reality presales have been indicating that all along. 

Edited by Krissykins

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s nothing new, as I’ve been told on this forum before, industry tracking usually lowballs for better headlines on Sunday.

This will give the impression that Shang-Chi has surprised/overperformed with $70m+, when in reality presales have been indicating that all along. 

Very true! 

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I am told tracking services are actually expecting $40M 4 days OW. Opening will be shock to those who follow them strictly. 

I am sure if we didn't had tracking thread, majority here wouldn't be thinking any different, believing those tracking, which are actually paid for giving numbers like $40M 4 days.

The lowball we talk about is by studio expectations. Not tracking. Tracking is supposed to be correct. They are paid for that not headline management.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am told tracking services are actually expecting $40M 4 days OW. Opening will be shock to those who follow them strictly. 

I am sure if we didn't had tracking thread, majority here wouldn't be thinking any different, believing those tracking, which are actually paid for giving numbers like $40M 4 days.

Lol, I’ve had it pointed out to me several times in the last few months that “the industry tracking is always low”. But you’re claiming that on this film its genuine? 

I can’t see why it would be different only for Shang-Chi or what that would achieve. Guess we’ll never know how reliable industry tacking is then. 

Alas, with tracking thread I’d be more shocked with a $50m 4 day than I would a $100m 4 day.