Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

I would be very suprised if deadline was that close this time.....how are presales looking ?

See tracking thread, I did a breakdown of where it should be vs BW. I am going by Keyser's numbers for today. My runtime is too long and because of that I massively overpredicted BW's Friday.

Edited by Menor

yeah i dunno if i buy that. the majority of people pick and choose what marvel movies to watch anyway. if there's a reference to something they didn't see most people can roll with it pretty easily. these movies aren't that dense.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

I don't really care too much about Deadline's recent history given their general unpredictability, but the fact that Keyser is saying his numbers are saying this too when he's been generally optimistic about the movie is not great, Bob.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

My dad hasn’t seen any of the Marvel shows, but he’s seen just about all the movies, either with me in theaters or when they pop up on cable.

When I took him to see Black Widow, I had to explain for like 10 minutes

Reveal hidden contents

I imagine this stuff will only get worse and worse and I don’t really like it. These Marvel shows are really making Phase 4 feel like homework IMO

I mean some stuff can naturally work as they either have setup naturally inserted in the plot or said point was established in a previous film.

Spoiler

For example, the multiverse breaking in NWH can be chalked up to the spell not working rather than what happened in Loki or whenever CA4 comes Falcon becoming Captain America isn’t abrupt as Old Man Steve gave Falcon the shield in Endgame.

However, if the shows are more tied to the movies like if what rumors about Multiverse of Madness are true, it’ll start to get confusing for a good chunk of the GA.

37 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

I also think the Disney+ shows especially are diluting the brand. They're forcing people to talk about Marvel basically every week 

While I wouldn't put it in terms of "diluting the brand" I was thinking about this back when The Suicide Squad flopped.

Been meaning to make this post and I might as well now.

Between Wonder Woman 1984 debuting and The Suicide Squad bowing it was practically a never ending stream of Cape Content between the DC and Marvel brands.

Wonder Woman 1984

WandaVision (8 weeks - 9 episodes)

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (6 weeks)

Loki (6 weeks)

Black Widow

The Suicide Squad

(If i missed anything on the DC streaming side, apologies)

That's a lot of Capes.

Admittedly, there was a bit of a break between Falcon and Loki so the month of May was pretty quiet on both the MCU and DC front.  Not entirely sure I want to count What If...?  or not but for now, I won't.  And, yes again, there was some overlap at times (ZS:JL/Falcon and Loki/BW).  But it was just a stream of constant discussion, especially in the entertainment press (so even if someone didn't watch a particular movie/TV episode, it was still in a lot of cultural conversation about entertainment).

It's a bit different than having them all be movies as there's still down time between release of movies.  But this was almost as if there were 24 Event Releases in that time frame.

This isn't to say that Superhero Movie Fatigue has finally arrived, coz that's silly.  But I do think looking at the MCU as a bit more like Star Wars when it comes to pre-sale to weekend patterns isn't exactly a bad place to start.

Before I go any further, the obvious should be said.  The MCU is in an incredibly healthy place right now.  Like, amazingly healthy.

But what it isn't anymore is solely a film experience.  Some of the audience attention is being split between TV and theater in such a way that it never was in the Marvel Netflix days.  That is gonna cause frontloading on film releases at least until Phase 4 really builds up a head of steam.

The good thing for Shang-Chi is that it has excellent word of mouth and a pretty much all of September empty ahead of it.  So I'd wait until at least the second or third weekend drops before drawing too many drastic conclusions.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

It was a 30 second post credit scene. It wasn't really all that complicated.

But eventually said character will be a main part of the story one way or another.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I really hope Bond doesn't get delayed just so we can get a genuine test of a non superhero tentpole for the first time since F9. Maybe people just don't give a shit about these movies as much anymore.

I don't see Bond leaving. Beyond the issues with having to push the marketing plan out further, Shang Chi might be disappointing us right now (it's still Friday afternoon for god's sake) but Deadline and Variety pushed out those 45-50m expectations for a reason.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I really hope Bond doesn't get delayed just so we can get a genuine test of a non superhero tentpole for the first time since F9. Maybe people just don't give a shit about these movies as much anymore.

i really hope it doesn't get delayed either every conversation with my dad for the past 18 months has begun with "so when's this james bond film coming out?" i want it to end give me peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For what it's worth, 55m OW is still more than the 40m OW I was saying a couple of weeks ago and a great start if you had told me this last month. Z-List character with a double whammy of superhero fatigue plus lack of awareness it is a Marvel movie, all the stuff I was saying, and it is doing well by that standard. But man....that IM. No PA, great reviews, less established character, and worse presales to performance than Black Widow? That's mystifying. The only explanation is that there is a baseline number of Marvel fans who will carry all these movies to 8m previews no matter what, and the weekend is the real measure of actual appeal.

• Like 1

If you had told me last month Shang-Chi did 55m OW, I would have said "wow, that's great." If you had told me last month it had done 9m in previews, I would have said "wow, it must have done 70m OW then." Just a matter of perspective. I think that sums up alot of people's thoughts.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

I think Eternals is now a certainty for a day and date PA release (if it sticks in 2021).

China seems like it won't play Marvel movies anyway, so the country with the biggest piracy problem is also the one delivering zero box office for MCU movies right now.

INT overall is weak, so again, even if it's pirated outside the US/Canada, you're not losing much.

It's another rough sell to a casual MCU fan, just like Shang Chi - tell me what is gonna appeal to a non-fan, especially in the female base.  And 11 and unders are still no closer to vaccinating - even if they started RIGHT now, it would be mid-October (after 2 shots and 2 weeks) for them to have full immunity...and no one anywhere is saying it's in the "now" time frame...so, there's still no families or kids there...

And Disney is gonna compare Shang Chi to Black Widow and say "well, why would fans show up to a dead character anyone more than a new one...but they did, and then they bought it, too...$100M more revenue is $100M more revenue"...

And we have no guarantees where Covid and theater hours are going, so you take the "in the hand" certain PA money vs the "maybe 2 in the bush" theatrical money...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If you had told me last month Shang-Chi did 55m OW, I would have said "wow, that's great." If you had told me last month it had done 9m in previews, I would have said "wow, it must have done 70m OW then." Just a matter of perspective. I think that sums up alot of people's thoughts.

50k post in less than 1 hour.

obsessed