Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If you had told me last month Shang-Chi did 55m OW, I would have said "wow, that's great." If you had told me last month it had done 9m in previews, I would have said "wow, it must have done 70m OW then." Just a matter of perspective. I think that sums up alot of people's thoughts.

Buried in my patented long-ass post, I suggested that Marvel fandom is slowly becoming a SW-esque one when it comes to turnout patterns.  Was just speaking with @Cap about this off-thread and she noted the party aspect of going to a preview and I can say as a SW fan that's a big part of preview night for us as well.  It's just super fun to see a film with a bunch of rabid fans even when we're gonna go see it again on the weekend.

Could just be that folks are gonna have to adjust what is expected from Marvel film's preview->OW until Phase 4 really sinks its teeth into people (which she also brought up in regards to early MCU Phase 3).

====

I would also note that we should probably want to see Saturday's numbers as there's a school of though that that is where the PA penalty for BW really kicked in.  We'll see if that was in fact the case or not given that SC doesn't have that.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Holy shit quite a few of you need to get a grip.  I don't check this forum for 2 hours and we have moved from celebration to "holy shit everything is moving and Eternals is going to PA!!" nonsense again. 

Agreed .. any info ?

Not wanting to jump the gun here, but if it does fall under 60mil, I'm not surprised nor disappointed. 

A character like Shang Chi probably falls in the same category as Ant-Man. Not very well-known, and not with automatic appeal like Guardians had with its Star Wars-esque tone and world-building.

I don't know why anyone expected anything huge, particularly on this, one of the worst moviegoing weekends of the year. I don't know what led Hollywood to think that during Covid that Labor Day weekend would suddenly become a big moviegoing weekend. Same thing happened last year with Tenet. 

If you had asked me before Covid, what would a Black Widow prequel and a Shang Chi movie make on opening weekend, I would've told you 60-80 for Black Widow and 50-60 for Shang Chi. People forget that the Ant-Man movies weren't huge openers either, with the first of them enjoying reviews similar to Widow and the second of the enjoying reviews similar to Shang Chi. 

That being said, IF there is Marvel or comic-book burnout, blame the Disney Plus series. It's already been said, but there has been Marvel content literally every month of the year for the most part. That's absurd, and I can't wrap my head around why these studios never consider oversaturation a threat. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 2

I wouldn’t say it’s Marvel fatigue. They still have a pretty big fanbase.

However it makes sense that the films would become a bit more front-loaded. Unless it’s a must see event, casual fans are likely to be laid back with new Marvel films.

I saw Shang Chi just now, I thought it was great fun (to be fair I love anything with Dragons in it). Maybe it will have some good legs, let’s wait and see.

Also with delta, things are still up in the air a bit so it’s hard to say any movie is performing to their potential at the minute.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw internal numbers from a major studio that have it going $68m+ for the weekend based on numbers from today and the preview, but let's wait for ACTUAL numbers and not just a Deadline half assed "update".  

Did we forget already that Deadline was the one predicting like a $40m range opening like 24 hours ago?

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Yeah, I saw internal numbers from a major studio that have it going $68m+ for the weekend based on numbers from today and the preview, but let's wait for ACTUAL numbers and not just a Deadline half assed "update".  

Did we forget already that Deadline was the one predicting like a $40m range opening like 24 hours ago?

When you say 68  you mean 3day ?

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This makes much more sense with the MTC data than the Deadline update. Fingers crossed that the numbers you saw are correct. 

I guess if it's 4-day then it's in line with the Deadline update, so idk.   Ok good. 3-day. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well i wasn't worried at all with Deadline, in fact i was betting they're lowballing in purpose.

But then early tracking data suggest maybe it could happen and yeah, i was concerned even if like i said it wouldn't lead to a bad opening, just because the multi would be tepid.

Anyway, if EC said internal numbers are projecting +68M i'm more than fine because it means Friday is doing good and would be in line with my multi expectations which i think is reasonable.

Waiting for more certain numbers, see y'all in 8-9 hours.

Anything can happen and I'll eat crow with the best of them, but everyone is freaking out based on an update from the same site and same author that wrote this 24 hours ago and had Shang-Chi at $45m-$50m for the entire 4 day weekend.  

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-ten-rings-labor-day-weekend-box-office-1234825437/

• Like 11

Deadlines $60m 3 day guess would still be great, in my opinion. $70m+ 4 day = great headlines and a strong weekend. 

But I was championing Black Widow’s $80.3m opening in July and I know lots of people here were disappointed with that. Each to their own I guess. 

• Like 5