Jump to content
Eric Riley

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Recommended Posts

After reading the article again it really doesnt say much now of course there is a chance that it turns out right but for now we havent enough info...the article is very generic too they just give a numbers while at the same time they are saying things like " its too early " or " it could go much higher "

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of those disappointed with the BW opening (though now that we have info on how DOM skewed the PA number was I think it was actually quite solid). But 60M (3day) for SC would be an actively strong result albeit not where my hopes lay. Still quite likely to beat BW DOM.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

After reading the article again it really doesnt say much now of course there is a chance that it turns out right but for now we havent enough info...the article is very generic too they just give a numbers while at the same time they are saying things like " its too early " or " it could go much higher "

Yes I agree.

 

As someone previously said in the thread, Deadline might give low numbers and then when it over performs their expectations, they can be like ‘Cinemas are back!’.

 

However they could be accurate and then this thread will turn to shit lol. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

A character like Shang Chi probably falls in the same category as Ant-Man. Not very well-known, and not with automatic appeal like Guardians had with its Star Wars-esque tone and world-building.

 

On paper, I'd say Shang-Chi has even less going for it than Ant-Man for the general audience. Ant-Man had the unique shrinking/growing gimmick, which made for some creative and funny gags in the trailers. At a cursory glance, Shang-Chi just seems like another martial arts expert, the likes of which have been portrayed many times before on screen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

25M Friday would mean the end of theaters. Now that 68M 3 day estimate from EC is the complete opposite. It would mean 80M 4 day weekend and theaters roaring back. So in the end I will just chill and wait for tomorrow to see some real numbers.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

 

On paper, I'd say Shang-Chi has even less going for it than Ant-Man for the general audience. Ant-Man had the unique shrinking/growing gimmick, which made for some creative and funny gags in the trailers. At a cursory glance, Shang-Chi just seems like another martial arts expert, the likes of which have been portrayed many times before on screen. 

 

Agreed, and it's not like martial arts flicks have been popular of late. But if this does anywhere between 55-65 mil over the 4-day I'll call that a success. 

 

It's also very transparent how much the film is emulating Black Panther. Awkwafina is Shuri. Rhinos vs Dragons. Family squabbles. I'm not familiar with the comic at all so perhaps that's just what it is, but...it's hard to ignore. 

  • ...wtf 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Say, I don’t know…the movie does $65 million 4 day. Then legs it to $200 million. Versus opening to $80 million 4-day and finishing with $200 million. 


The former result is the end of days on here. 
The latter result would mean the movies are BACK!!!

 

Give the movie a chance to play a bit guys ffs. Lol. We live in uncertain times, and there’s been no rule of thumb as to how a movie performs in theaters as of yet that we can apply old logic to. 
 

I’m just glad we’ve got a big hit at the very least. Keep ‘em coming and bit by bit we’ll return to the old days of $100 million openers. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

BW projections at 90m:

 

"We're saved. Go Marvel!"

 

BW projections drop by 10m (biggest OW of 2021):

 

"We're doomed! What went wrong?"

 

SC projections at 60m:

 

"We're saved. Go Marvel!"

 

SC projections drop by 5m (3rd biggest OW of 2021):

 

"We're doomed! What went wrong?"

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

 

Transparent how much the film is emulating Black Panther. Awkwafina is Shuri. Rhinos vs Dragons. Family squabbles. I'm not familiar with the comic at all so perhaps that's just what it is, but...it's hard to ignore. 

Spoiler

 

This is a gigantic stretch. Black Panther starts with all the characters from the distant world being dragged into the normal world. Shang-Chi starts with the protagonists in the normal world and takes them into increasingly fantastical environments. 

 

"Awkwafina is Shuri": Not even vaguely the same actorial function, nor the same character type. Shuri is immersed in the 'far away' world, Katy is the one embedded in the 'normal' world. Shuri is a genius, Katy is the audience proxy. Even if you were hypothetically playing the "which Black Panther character is this" game for some inexplicable reason Katy would be Everett Ross, not Shuri.

 

"Rhinos v Dragons": In Shang-Chi the Dragons are a fundamental, core component of the plot and resolution of the film. In Black Panther.....there are some Rhinos. 

 

Family Squabbles: Half of the films in existence can be reduced to "Family Squabbles". Heck, Black Panther isn't even that heavy with the family squabbles. The characters in Shang-Chi are a nuclear family. Black Panther just uses a trope of the distant lost cousin.  

 

"Hard to ignore" my foot. Just bad faith shoehorning. Seriously, I haven't even posted on this forum in two years and yet this was just too silly for me not to respond to.

 

 

Codswallop.

 

Shang-Chi seems to be doing well over here in the UK within reason. Good word of mouth so far on social media, and cinema was pretty close to full all day. Only anecdotal but promising.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It's also very transparent how much the film is emulating Black Panther. Awkwafina is Shuri. Rhinos vs Dragons. Family squabbles. I'm not familiar with the comic at all so perhaps that's just what it is, but...it's hard to ignore. 


So you just didn’t watch this movie….

  • Like 13
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Record breaking Labor Day weekend/3rd Biggest OW of the Year.

 

Despite a natural disaster and delta.

 

But the thread turns to pessimism porn.

 

Must be an MCU release.

 

 

I mean to be fair, that's kind of a low bar.

Edited by poweranimals
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I mean to be fair, that's kind of a low bar.

 

How is the 3rd biggest weekend of the year in September disappointing for a C-tier superhero movie?

 

There's only one movie that outperformed a Marvel OW this year and that's F9.

 

Relatively speaking Marvel is doing better than anyone in North America. But they're the only ones expected to do pre-pandemic numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

 

How is the 3rd biggest weekend of the year in September disappointing for a C-tier superhero movie?

 

There's only one movie that outperformed a Marvel OW this year and that's F9.

 

Relatively speaking Marvel is doing better than anyone in North America. But they're the only ones expected to do pre-pandemic numbers.

 

Well, other than WB, they are also the only ones releasing films with budgets over $100M...and HBO Max already wrote all their checks/losses off at the beginning of the year for the sake of cinema and HBO Max...

 

I mean, what other blockbuster budget movie released since April 2020, except F9, which did go bonkers...and if we see Shang Chi go $700M WW like it did, maybe we'll all start singing the "Hallelejuah, we're back" chorus...

 

But $400M WW with a full theatrical would be a big $ss "sigh, it's still not gonna be normal for a long time" sign...

 

It's not like I am anti-cinema - did I mention I went NINE TIMES this summer while the virus was low here - I go when it's possible...and I enjoy it...but I'm not blind, either, and I understand corporate...

 

Cheap-o Chapek will go to Kevin with exactly my points, and Kevin's not gonna have much to refute with, except "I quit if you do X"...but even then, I'm not sure Cheap-o Chapek cares, seeing as how employees and customers are quitting on his parks daily, but he doesn't care as long as the benjamins still roll in, every day bigger than the last...

  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

bHow is the 3rd biggest weekend of the year in September disappointing for a C-tier superhero movie?

 

There's only one movie that outperformed a Marvel OW this year and that's F9.

 

Relatively speaking Marvel is doing better than anyone in North America. But they're the only ones expected to do pre-pandemic numbers.

I meant that it was a low bar because few films this year have even cracked $50 million OW. And I get that it's because of Covid, but if things don't start getting closer to normality soon, we're definitely going to start seeing more delays which ultimately benefits no one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.