Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

25M Friday would mean the end of theaters. Now that 68M 3 day estimate from EC is the complete opposite. It would mean 80M 4 day weekend and theaters roaring back. So in the end I will just chill and wait for tomorrow to see some real numbers.

CJohn to this thread and theaters if Shang-Chi underperforms:

1a5dd32a64a7ebee33ba46262ef7c229.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Let's just assume some of those previous pages were from an episode of What If Shang-Chi Had a Poor OW?

That would has the same ending as episode 4 tbh

Spoiler

I guess 25M OD wasn’t an absolute point ;) 

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Jeez, what happened here this afternoon.... Can someone give me the lowdown on the thread "drama"? Were there fluctuating indicators over the past 7 hours about Shang-Chi's BO today, or people just continuing to doom-and-gloom irrationally?

Insofar as you consider deadline “an indicator,” we had fluctuating indicators (16.2 true fri est to be precise). Now, as to that antecedent… ymmv

Edited by Lokis Legion

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Jeez, what happened here this afternoon.... Can someone give me the lowdown on the thread "drama"? Were there fluctuating indicators over the past 7 hours about Shang-Chi's BO today, or people just continuing to doom-and-gloom irrationally?

Deadline lowballed (I believe it was intentional, even early MTC data was looking higher than their estimate) at 16m true Friday in their midday update. People basically assumed that this was the final number and panicked based on that. I actually was afraid that they were right and I was seeing the MTC data wrong because they were very accurate for both F9 and BW but now I think they lowballed this on purpose. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This mother fucker is running and won't stop through the weekend.  

I had 92 4day this morning…  from a 19.6 true fri 👀

Oops, probably shouldn’t have said that, don’t wanna go around “raising false expectations” again.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Deadline lowballed (I believe it was intentional, even early MTC data was looking higher than their estimate) at 16m true Friday in their midday update. People basically assumed that this was the final number and panicked based on that. I actually was afraid that they were right and I was seeing the MTC data wrong because they were very accurate for both F9 and BW but now I think they lowballed this on purpose. 

I am not an expert by any means but seems like the data was fairly strong for a few days that it was not going to be a 16m Friday. I suppose Ida could have knocked a .5 to 1m off around a 20m indication. So it must have just been a narrative to come in way above expectations and talk about how cinema is back on track etc.

Its easy to make fun of Deadline but they must have had some indication that it was not going to be 25M including previews and just wanted to havea  nice story to write on Sunday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

The TFri/preview ratio, if it comes in on the high end of estimates, won't be far off of what DS had back in the day...

McU gEtTiNg FrOnTlOaDeD though 🤔    

Disn’t you properly learn the lesson of that one summer hybrid release about the OG avenger+a midday est from the infamously reliable deadline?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I had 92 4day this morning…  from a 19.6 true fri 👀

Oops, probably shouldn’t have said that, don’t wanna go around “raising false expectations” again.

Even if it had come in at 16 you would have been closer than a lot of people on this board were before PS started. Frankly I don't quite understand why there seems to be such a negative attitude here toward high predictions. Nobody is obligated to take those predictions as a bar for success. 

• Like 1