Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

GOTG benefited summer days and an August run into Sept.  SC won't have that.  Even w/o competition a 3x+ will be hard. 

I know what helped gotg, and it’s totally possible this will turn in a 2.9 or something which is still great for its date

. But this also has, at least potentially, a few unique factors that gotg didn’t —

pent up demand

cautious people deliberately avoiding high occupancy screenings on OW but willing to go on lower occupancy days later in run

if Delta improves soon (which hosp 2nd derivative indicates pretty clearly) then it will have legs mildly boosted by better covid conditions on later winds than than on the 1st, which helped some movies in 1H 2021

finally it gets a lot of raw gross on day 4 that gotg didn’t but frankly I am a school of thought that the inflated Sun is more of a drag on legs than the inflated Mon is a help

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

interesting possibilities

Haha, well chosen verbiage.   

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

But realistically I don't think it will hold that well. 

Yeah me neither. That’s why I don’t speak such things aloud. But I believe you could maybe get like… halfway between the straight “BP+pessimistic” model and the “BP+pessimistic+adjusted for Pres vs labor holdover daily behavior” model?

• Like 1

Shang-Chi top three MCU movie, 10-15 minutes of bad and dumb CGI from being the second best behind Black Panther. Was already rooting for it more than most MCU anyway due to the stakes but it flat out deserves to make the money. Hope those numbers keep going up!

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2

42 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Me too, at least online i feel IW is way more beloved than EG lol.

Maybe because the movie is a clusterfuck of "Holy shit" moments for 150 minutes and EG is a more structured movie.

IW is a fantastically paced blockbuster. 100% rollercoaster from start to finish, a couple moments to take a breath, but no down time. It's a lean machine.

EG is great, but the pacing is frequently stop-and-start. That makes the difference for me.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I know what helped gotg, and it’s totally possible this will turn in a 2.9 or something which is still great for its date

. But this also has, at least potentially, a few unique factors that gotg didn’t —

pent up demand

cautious people deliberately avoiding high occupancy screenings on OW but willing to go on lower occupancy days later in run

if Delta improves soon (which hosp 2nd derivative indicates pretty clearly) then it will have legs mildly boosted by better covid conditions on later winds than than on the 1st, which helped some movies in 1H 2021

finally it gets a lot of raw gross on day 4 that gotg didn’t but frankly I am a school of thought that the inflated Sun is more of a drag on legs than the inflated Mon is a help

I don’t know how much it mattered, for example AQP2  still had good legs despite the Paramount + release but it being on Disney Plus next month could eat into legs a bit, for some people who choose to wait it out the further we get.

But anything over 200m would be excellent to me.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Endgame and Infinity War are my top 2 MCU films (and top 5 Marvel films in general). I give Endgame the edge, even if it's a bit structurally messy, because the screentime it allots to its characters richly payoff in that incredible, cathartic finale. that 2nd act section with Tony speaking to his dad felt so rare in modern superhero movies--just 2 adults discussing fatherhood. 

• Like 2

I quite liked IW and have rewatched a few times but found endgame to be a dull slog of fan service and a bland, ugly 3rd act battle. It was whatever for 1 viewing but would never watch it again. I felt every minute of its run time.

Edited by Dominic Draper

They both have an overwhelming cornucopia of awesome moments. I loved the slower moments in Endgame’s 1st+2nd act and the 10 or so minutes with mjolnir +portals are probably the hypest moments in any movie for me.      

IW is so propulsive though. Thanos is a far stronger antagonist in it characterwise, the sacrifice motif is great, and the Battle on Titan is the best mcu battle sequence for me. Ultimately what pushes IW over for me is the total downer ending. So rare, so refreshing.  

What if spoilers:

Spoiler

Same as the most recent what if

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 4

IW/EG I would compare to ESB/ROTJ. Former has a downbeat ending, sequel has uplifting conclusion to a “saga.” I can see why when THR polled industry folks their favorite movies the last few years, EG made it but not IW.

IW’s opening night was fascinating. Coming out my crowd’s feeling was equitable to a funeral. Yet that ending had a GOT red wedding buzz effect on social media where you HAD to see it. And instead of a downer ending potentially hurting legs (ESB is the lowest grossing OT entry) that must see buzz just added to its appeal. Still one of the damnest things I’ve seen as movie viewer/nerd culture and box office observer. 

EG as payoff to that (and 20 whatever MCU movies up to that point) reaped nicely to say the least. 

(could IW long term be seen eventually as better than EG? Possible. We must remember ROTJ had a better initial reception than ESB.)

I rewatched Infinity War recently and idk... personally I very much prefer Endgame. Infinity War feels more like an episode of a TV show than a movie, which makes sense as its pushing toward the conclusion narrative of Endgame but idk. The ending is iconic though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolK said:

For me, IW held much better in repeat viewings...

Thor entrance in Wakanda scene...was so well choreographed..

infinity-war-thor.gif

IW is easily better film but EG is so much bigger.

I thought Thor in Wakanada scene will never be topped. Just before going in for EG I read a tweet that "if you think Thor in Wakanda was something, brace for Endgame to blew it apart",  then Cap lift Mjolnir, I thought ok that's the big one everyone is talking about but boy they did immediately top it with portals. That alone makes EG stand with IW, otherwise EG is much weaker film to IW.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1