Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

what is the Saturday bump you are expecting? 

Not really a huge Saturday bump just a very small Sunday drop, maybe even flat with good word of mouth and holiday weekend. 

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If it hits mid 70s 3 day, 4 day would likely be in the 90s

Very possible was just doing a quick projection in my head but yeah if it gets to the 76 would very likely do over 90, might just miss 90 if it is say 73, both of which I would consider as mid 70s.

Edited by Jamiem

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Gotta ask, what do you see for the Sat Sun Mon %s? I think we’re pretty close from various comments.

I know B.O. has changed but looking at the Thur to Friday multi which seems normal I'm not sure why it wouldn't get the usual 20-35% MCU opener bump as well. (even AEG did 12% and it's Friday was insane) It's previews and P/OD ratio is close to Strange and that did about a 35% bump.   It might not hold flat or rise from Sat to Sun like usual LD holdovers but I think 10% drop would be on the high end. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

So how's the experiment going? 

Pretty damn well

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Does this means boxoffice is finaly back?

Is it safe for me to get active again ^^?

Yes, but it’s gonna be quiet again until October.   Full month where the most exciting thing will probably be Shang-chi legs.

Nice to see you around pepsa , almost tagged you yesterday when the two towers great reception came up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I know B.O. has changed but looking at the Thur to Friday multi which seems normal I'm not sure why it wouldn't get the usual 20-35% MCU opener bump as well. (even AEG did 12% and it's Friday was insane) It's previews and P/OD ratio is close to Strange and that did about a 35% bump.   It might not hold flat or rise from Sat to Sun like usual LD holdovers but I think 10% drop would be on the high end. 

I agree that it seems to be performing “normal for an MCU” but when I was researching for my club it seemed that Labor Day Sat bumps were only 90% strength of full school time Sat bumps, thanks to the last vestiges of summer. Mostly compared holdover Labor Sats to the 3 weeks after. So 120-135%-> maybe 108-121.5%. This wouldn’t be too apparent in the Th:Fri since  they are either both full summer, or both full school, or (my hypothesis) both ~90% school, etc.

Sun and Mon are harder to say but I am also expecting single digits with the reception for Sun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

SC 29.5-30 

Candy 2.7
FG 2

PP 0.95

JC 0.85

Will see later if any change.

People like to shit on comic book movies for squeezing out smaller films but they’re clearly the only thing keeping these theaters’ doors open.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

People like to shit on comic book movies for squeezing out smaller films but they’re clearly the only thing keeping these theaters’ doors open.

And horror films, which are also actually turning a profit for the studios too. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

And horror films, which are also actually turning a profit for the studios too. 

Horror has a great ROI and have certainly been a key, well-performing and well-received component of keeping things struggling along in the past year. But it’s also pretty clear numerical that they don’t pull the sort of raw grosses that theaters need as business entities. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Some folks around here are gonna be absolute livid(/depressed) about what the post-pandemic record books look like in a year. But it will expose what the reality of the industry has been becoming since 2012/2008.

Edited by Lokis Legion

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

But it will expose what the reality of the industry has been becoming since 2012/2008.

Yeah, that it's going downhill. Something most people here have been aware of for a long time. Nothing there to "expose".

Edited by lorddemaxus

3 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Horror has a great ROI and have certainly been a key, well-performing and well-received component of keeping things struggling along in the past year. But it’s also pretty clear numerical that they don’t pull the sort of raw grosses that theaters need as business entities. 

The studios need profits to keep making $150-200m budgeted movies with $100m advertising campaigns. Therefore keeping cinemas going. 

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, that it's going downhill. Something most people here have been aware of for a long time. Nothing there to "expose".

I think in 2019 a lot of people hadn’t come to grips with the magnitude in a way that they probably will by late 2022.   

And of course, “going downhill” is totally subjective here. I love the funny book movies. I don’t really see much else in theaters. I’d gladly trade away the midrange and autuer hits to streaming for 10 MCUs a year or whatever. 

• Disbelief 1

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

I’d gladly trade away the midrange and autuer hits to streaming for 10 MCUs a year or whatever. 

Ooft that’s a horrible thought, but each to their own tastes.

I love so many different genres that I’d hate to only be able to go and see one (family action films). 

• Like 2