Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

And with that, I should go to bed for the night. I can feel this discussion starting to veer into territory that I don’t think the mods want to see and probably a lot of other users don’t need to see. Cheers everybody — great weekend ahead of us :ca:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

And of course, “going downhill” is totally subjective here. I love the funny book movies. I don’t really see much else in theaters. I’d gladly trade away the midrange and autuer hits to streaming for 10 MCUs a year or whatever. 

A industry that was made to show all kinds of movies being used to show just films from just one studio is pretty much the definition of that industry going downhill. Just because you'd prefer that doesn't change it. And maybe you should try watching those other movies too.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Moving on, which film is getting the double features with Shang-Chi, Free Guy? 

Okay, one last useful (kinda) comment in before I’m unconscious. I’ve seen SC/FG, SC/JC, and SC/BW — but unsure on the ratios. @katnisscinnaplex might know more

• Like 1

If some film is theatrical exclusive and having long window they should not move and go for staggered release like F9 but if they have digital release coming up, its better to may be wait, especially Venom 2 which will do most of its INT business in East Asia which is in bad shape now. 

But then its decision whether to risk $10-20M there or whether increase cost of holding a movie for more time.

• Like 1

I can't express enough what an incredible victory this weekend is for movie theaters.  After 18+ months where everything from the pandemic to negativity to streaming tried to kill it, the industry comes roaring back.  

Not only is this huge for the headlines of smashing the Labor Day records, but the fact that it might beat out Black Widow is just a shot across the bow of Chapek and his minions at Disney that actively tried to kill theatrical exclusivity.  

What a victory for Kevin Feige and all the actors, directors and producers that stuck to their guns.  

So very happy right now.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

Pretty damn well

Yes, but it’s gonna be quiet again until October.   Full month where the most exciting thing will probably be Shang-chi legs.

Nice to see you around pepsa , almost tagged you yesterday when the two towers great reception came up.

Well I was hopefull with FF thought that would have done a bit better (althought it was pretty good) but overseas it wasn't the huger blockbuster it used to be (still big for covid times of) so decided to not post about. Then I was anticipating BW, saw previews: thought this might be good, saw true friday and nope out of there 😛

That said even if i didn't post, i still follow some run, recently i like the jungle cruise and free guy runs. Love the late legs on JC and free guys has overall very good holds since the star (+ good run in china now). The thing most lacking is decent overseas grosses. Still no great preformance in Belgium, Germany, France, rest of Europe and LA.

• Like 1

Damn, that is a great number for Shang-Chi! Well deserved for an awesome movie like it! I don't like ranking things, but if I did this would easily be in my top 10 MCU ranking.

This was also my first premium format experience, as I saw it in IMAX. I just so happened to be seeing some family in another big province, which just so happened to have IMAX screens. Wonderful experience, to say the least. For those of you wondering: yes, the copy of the film that has been given to IMAX operators does fill the whole screen since it was fully shot with IMAX cameras. No black bars. I believe Eternals is the same as well.

For the 3 day, is $70M happening now? Or even $80M?

I would say 3-day $70-75 million in play.
$80-87 million 4 day. 

just depends on that Saturday drop. We’re all hoping families flock and we can put this ‘families are too scared to take their kids’ talk to bed once and for all. Give them exclusive product they can’t watch at home and they’ll show up. 

Edited by wildphantom