Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

8 minutes ago, JWR said:

Theater I saw this in was absolutely packed. Is $60M looking more like a low ball, now?

Blowing past it big time. See:

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

80+ depends on the Saturday. I'm not sure if it will have quite a big enough bump to do so. Still F9 is toast for sure. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Well I sure as hell feel silly for yesterday.

Nah, don't feel silly...as someone else mentioned, if this is unrepeatable by other studios and films this year, it's a one off like F9 and Black Widow.  One film every two months doesn't convince theaters to go back to Monday-Friday 10am-midnight hours...especially when that film probably took 60%+ of the box office revenue (or did Cheap-o Chapek's Disney actually keep to their day and date 50-50 deal?)...

I mean, F9's weekend could have been the "hurray, movies are back"...and then it wasn't (although it was close WW)...

Black Widow's weekend could have been "hurray, movies are back"...and then it wasn't...

So, "hurray everything's great and we're ready to go" is a little premature...wake me when my theaters add back their morning and some, even their early afternoon and late night, weekday showings on school days...

While thankfully the big chains are all planning to be open this fall (unlike last fall), they are not planning on having all of their outlets run "normal" hours, so we can't be normal yet...

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

wake me when my theaters add back their morning and some, even their early afternoon and late night, weekday showings on school days...

While thankfully the big chains are all planning to be open this fall (unlike last fall), they are not planning on having all of their outlets run "normal" hours, so we can't be normal yet...

It’s already back to normal in terms of show times in the UK so the US probably isn’t too far behind.

Great for Shang Chi and as a Kim’s Convenience fan I’m absolutely thrilled for Simu Liu! (Also, if you like him in SC, definitely give Kim’s Convenience a shot on Netflix, it’s the best sitcom of the last decade for me).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, don't feel silly...as someone else mentioned, if this is unrepeatable by other studios and films this year, it's a one off like F9 and Black Widow.  One film every two months doesn't convince theaters to go back to Monday-Friday 10am-midnight hours...especially when that film probably took 60%+ of the box office revenue (or did Cheap-o Chapek's Disney actually keep to their day and date 50-50 deal?)...

I mean, F9's weekend could have been the "hurray, movies are back"...and then it wasn't (although it was close WW)...

Black Widow's weekend could have been "hurray, movies are back"...and then it wasn't...

So, "hurray everything's great and we're ready to go" is a little premature...wake me when my theaters add back their morning and some, even their early afternoon and late night, weekday showings on school days...

Again, you keep saying this but not realizing that the lack of hours or full schedule from a lot of theaters is due to labor issues, not necessarily film inventory.  

I can tell you with 1000% certainty multiple real world examples where theaters are running at reduced hours or capacity or have screens dark because they can't hire staff or keep staff when they do hire them.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s already back to normal in terms of show times in the UK so the US probably isn’t too far behind.

I was going to say that too, UK cinemas have been back at normal hours for months.

Our box office is doing consistently well, too, not just two or three big films. We’ve had 11 films do the equivalent of $90m+ since the end of May. Not even including Shang-Chi. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The box office market should consistently make more than 100m during weekend for theater to be profitable to operate in the normal working hour. 

• Like 1