Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Guys please don't do this today. 29.5-30 is well beyond any of our expectations, except for @Lokis Legion.

On Fri morning I put down some predictions for a derby like game and submitted Fri at 28.4M 😛    

Actuals rock

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dear Evan Hansen isn't that popular among the olds or the casuals that make a musical have a break out, but it should have a solid teens floor. Musicals are a weird genre because many of them get stuck in a range, but when they hit they can really hit.

Eh, I think it's crossovered to the casuals to the point where I think most know the basic plot and the bigger songs. That's enough for a musical movie to land I suppose. And I think appeal to older auds won't really matter since movies targeting 18-34 are the only ones that are landing so far this year.

All I know is that DEH and that Sopranos prequel were both already cancelled here and are going straight to VOD so neither Universal or WB have much faith in them internationally.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually hope it's a hit for Ben Platt's sake so he can have the last laugh after all the snickering he's endured for his casting/appearance as a high schooler (not helped by the fact they've saddled him with what has to be the most tragic movie hairdo since Tom Hanks in The Da Vinci Code) since the first footage of the movie was released.

Isn't his dad some kind of mega producer? He'll survive this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Shang Chi kinda shocked me in how good it was. Like, I expected it to be good but not "Oh shit I'm gonna have to see this again in theaters" good.

I think SC can have a mini BP run. Possibly looking at a sub-45% drop next weekend. 

The inflated Sun is gonna make things tough. Right now got it 38 dropping from 75 and that’s with quite a nice -30% Sat. Could pull a free guy though, would love to see it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

Isn't his dad some kind of mega producer? He'll survive this.

Yeah, Marc Platt. Impressed that he hasn't managed to get his son in any of the many live-action Disney blockbusters he funds these days. How tempting it must have been to have Ben step in as Prince Eric after Harry Styles passed on the Little Mermaid remake he's producing lol.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Marc Platt. Impressed that he hasn't managed to get his son in any of the many live-action Disney blockbusters he funds these days. How tempting it must have been to have Ben step in as Prince Eric after Harry Styles passed on the Little Mermaid remake he's producing lol.

Credit to marc platt i think even he knows that his son's vibe is "annoying weirdo" judging by the roles he's played in marc platt's productions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Eh, I think it's crossovered to the casuals to the point where I think most know the basic plot and the bigger songs. That's enough for a musical movie to land I suppose. And I think appeal to older auds won't really matter since movies targeting 18-34 are the only ones that are landing so far this year.

Is DEH more of a US thing? I’m in the UK and consider myself fairly up to date on most forms of entertainment, but I’ve genuinely never heard of DEH or the guy who stars in it until pretty much a few months ago. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually hope it's a hit for Ben Platt's sake so he can have the last laugh after all the snickering he's endured for his casting/appearance as a high schooler (not helped by the fact they've saddled him with what has to be the most tragic movie hairdo since Tom Hanks in The Da Vinci Code) since the first footage of the movie was released.

Grease had ancient looking teenagers and is one of the popular musicals ever, it's not like people didn't notice but it was obviously not a deal-breaker. But Grease is more of a winking satire while Dear Evan Hansen seems very...earnest, so maybe thats why Platt's age being brought up is such a touchy subject with him and the DEH fans. I'd just laugh off the criticisms and point out that realism isn't exactly the selling point of musicals anyway... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I agree Dear Evan Hansen will probably do better than In the Heights, it has a longer Broadway run (bigger fanbase) and the trailer sells a clearer story. There's a crowd that finds the premise moving even though it appalls Film Twitter.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Is DEH more of a US thing? I’m in the UK and consider myself fairly up to date on most forms of entertainment, but I’ve genuinely never heard of DEH or the guy who stars in it until pretty much a few months ago. 

I never knew this even existed. I knew about ITH thanks to Hamilton but this was totally new to me

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Venom 2 is too low.

I think it has even more hype than BW and SC.

I can tell you the hype here in many parts of Asia is insane.. people here liked the first movie (LOL), and still thinks this is part of MCU.

MCU sells in Asia.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It premiered on Broadway at the end of 2016 (following a DC debut in 2015 and an Off-Broadway production not long after) so it's still a fairly "new" musical. Apparently opened a London production at the end of 2019 too (and was shut down not long after due to the pandemic). Gonna guess it's mostly only known in the US, unlike titles such as Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera which became worldwide sensations long before their movie versions were eventually made.

• Thanks 1