Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

4 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

If this winds up surpassing BW domestic total not sure anyone could have foreseen that turn of events. Hopefully this will be the death knell for PA.

We've been expecting that for some time. Even before tickets iirc.

As far as holdovers go, we have to remember that while its a holiday weekend, we cant look at past Labor days and assume or even be sad at some performances. 

Covid aside, there has never been a film open over 31m this weekend before which is partially why it was known for great holds on top of the Sunday effect. 

Shang-Chi is the definition of both event film (for covid) and a past precedent skewer. 

Imo the general Saturday projections seem great when context is looked at objectively. 

Thanks @charlie Jatinder for sharing!

• Like 3

@narniadis that makes sense as a reason for the weekly holds to be worse than past Labor (although, actually, I think things are holding up quite well in the face of SC, better than I expected!).  

But it doesn't explain a worse than usual Sat /Fri, right? Fri and sat both affected by SC. My theory on the slightly low bumps is that it's not an unusually weak Sat per se but was a normal Sat+unusually strong Fri from a combination of covid/Ida/school factors.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was hoping for more response but guess my earlier post is limiting imagination, for Sunday will start with puzzles. Anyhow.

(I stick to lurking and don't usually bother logging in, but I appreciated the earlier comic book cover post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

• Like 1

So aggregate box office from all movies would be around 110m, not quite the number that I want to beat BW weekend but at least this weekend represent the week when domestic box office finally beat 2020's total. Hope this can double 2020's total or at least 3.5bn by end of 2021

This thing is a MONSTER where I live. It just keeps going up and up and up, there’s not even any point in using my area as a computer because the whole region is overindexing like crazy. 

but yea, a monster. 

• Astonished 1

EDIT: Plz forget what you have read here, it was dumb, don't mention it xD

For SC,

23m would mean 10.5% increase,

21.85m sunday (-5%)

15.5m monday (-29%)

FSS 74.45m, full holidayweekend: 89.95m,

Edited by pepsa
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

SAT

SC - $23M

Candy - $3.85M

FG - $3.25M

JC - $1.55M

PP - $1.5M

$74.5m is my 3 day guess for Shang-Chi (-5% Sunday).

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the increases for the others and was hoping Candyman would be having similar bumps and holds to Ready or Not. 

Edited by Krissykins

45 minutes ago, pepsa said:

23m does seem quite a bit better than 22m.

Still true friday was 20.8m (vs 21.3m of Solo)

Solo jumped to 24.6m (+15.5%) to drop to 24.45m (0.6%) on sunday and 24% on monday (18.6m)

For SC, seeing as it jump was a bit worse than solo's I would asume that sunday will be a bit worse as well but the monday drop shoudn't be much harder.

23m would mean 10.5% increase, a bit under solo

21.85m sunday (-5%)

15.5m monday (-29%)

FSS 74.45m, full holidayweekend: 89.95m,

Never mind this post, it's not may is it 😛

Jesus i can't believe i mixed august with a may release....