Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Just now, john2000 said:

after free guy and shang i cant see why they would do that..... 

I agree, and I don’t think they will.

But I can’t say I’d be surprised after some of the decisions Disney made last year sending movies like soul to streaming only. It’s very obvious Disney only cares about how much they can make (like any big company) and they’ll use theatres as they see fit.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

He seems obsessed with Premiere Access, i look into his tweets and he is talking about sending Eternals to D+ for days. I can't find any logical reason of why an "box office lover" would act this way so maybe you're right.

He's smoking some good stuff. A damn near $90m 4-Day is going to give Disney/Marvel even more reason to push it away from PA, not towards it. If this wasn't a holiday weekend, it's 3-Day may have beaten BW (albeit with PA). That's a great opening for a new property. The next SC film (probably 2024-2025) will open to $110m+....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

He seems obsessed with Premiere Access, i look into his tweets and he is talking about sending Eternals to D+ for days. I can't find any logical reason of why an "box office lover" would act this way so maybe you're right.

I think it’s very likely. 
the lengths that Wall Street and the media have gone to in the past nine months to bad mouth $AMC is jaw dropping. They’re desperate. 
I’m not saying all of Wall Street as some of the biggest hedge funds in the world are long on the stock as they know the score. Lol. 

I mean, what would you do if you ran a hedge fund or big bank and you bet the whole house on the movies going out of business? Then to your dismay retail bought up all the shares and were costing you billions a week to hold on to your short position.

Everything is being tried on a daily basis to spread complete lies about the business. They’re stuck, backs against the wall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Blankments said:

This feels like a record that will hold long too; don’t see Labor Day weekend becoming a regular release date for blockbusters considering how this really only happened because of the pandemic and needed space between the other marvel movies this year 

Feige should break it in 2023 as a flex

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

He's smoking some good stuff. A damn near $90m 4-Day is going to give Disney/Marvel even more reason to push it away from PA, not towards it. If this wasn't a holiday weekend, it's 3-Day may have beaten BW (albeit with PA). That's a great opening for a new property. The next SC film (probably 2024-2025) will open to $110m+....

also if disney was so happy with bw being a pa release then why they included the pa money to the box office in the ww opening ? and why ? did they do that in the first place ? maybe bc they see it as dissapointing ?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cax16 said:

That’s not what he’s implying. He’s basically saying don’t be surprised if eternals or other Disney movies get the PA treatment as well as being released theatrically. 

But it's the 2nd biggest opening of the year. Lmao.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

But it's the 2nd biggest opening of the year. Lmao.

Yeah but his argument is that the biggest opener had extra revenues from PA while this doesn't.

SC needs more theatrical revenue than BW to cover up for the difference in PA. Yes BW is obviously a much well know character; but i think he only looks at numbers and disregarded that.

Of course there are also impact to PVOD, VOD, Bluray sales that the day-and-date PA brings which he is not taking into account.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah but his argument is that the biggest opener had extra revenues from PA while this doesn't.

SC needs more theatrical revenue than BW to cover up for the difference in PA. Yes BW is obviously a much well know character; but i think he only looks at numbers and disregarded that.

Of course there are also impact to PVOD, VOD, Bluray sales that the day-and-date PA brings which he is not taking into account.

Yeah the problem with his argument is that he assumes that PA doesn't take a sizable chunk out of the theatrical gross (keeps repeating 50m left off the table as if Shang Chi wouldn't have done less theatrically both DOM and OS if PA was a thing), and that the ancillary revenues, not to mention the grosses don't end up being better for Shang Chi down the road. I also think if BW releases in this environment, it doesn't do as well either.

Absolute numbers might be interesting to note, to a point. But the circumstances are not the same so they drive the numbers that do come in. Yes, Shang Chi probably ends up making less revenue for Disney than Black Widow in the end, but it also does point to a potential future where PA is not the way to go if the pandemic can get on relatively low equal footing across the world.

I also do think putting Shang Chi on Disney Plus after 45 days is a mistake. There needs to be more experimentation with some kind of PVOD window on Disney Plus following a 30-45 day period, then after that PVOD window it goes to Disney Plus for all subscribers.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5

Just now, MrPink said:

Yeah the problem with his argument is that he assumes that PA doesn't take a sizable chunk out of the theatrical gross (keeps repeating 50m left off the table as if Shang Chi wouldn't have done less theatrically both DOM and OS if PA was a thing), and that the ancillary revenues, not to mention the grosses don't end up being better for Shang Chi down the road. I also think if BW releases in this environment, it doesn't do as well either.

Absolute numbers might be interesting to note, to a point. But the circumstances are not the same so they drive the numbers that do come in.

I do think putting Shang Chi on Disney Plus after 45 days is a mistake though. There needs to be more experimentation with some kind of PVOD window on Disney Plus following a 30-45 day period, then after that PVOD window it goes to Disney Plus for all subscribers.

Bw would definately had made more than it did now a normal mcu multi would give a 90-100 mill ow and with normal legs it would finish with 250-270 and thats just dom

• Like 2

I am also laughing at the context of him comparing 10 year old movies to this.  Adjusted they turn into:

HULK: 68.01

AM: 64.03

CAP: 76.93

THOR: 77.76

So this in really in the ballpark for new** Marvel launches, with obviously:

Black Panther hitting a perfect storm of pent up demand and rave rave rave reviews.

Captain Marvel hitting a perfect storm of pent up demand and riding high off Infinity War Buzz

GOTG being a team movie, which people DO like and tend to do better.

** Spider-Man Homecoming is not a "new" launch cause everyone knows who TF Spider-Man is.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

SC budget is most likely lower than BW, it's going to be totally fine and PA is not 100% to Disney like people think.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

PA for Shang Chi would've meant a smaller OW and lower gross.

Possible under 50/150.

• Like 1