Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Jurassic World was a memorable one too from what I remember. The estimates just kept going up and up.

Yes this. JW was underrated going into release cause it wasn't big on social media. Nobody saw it coming that it would become #1 summer movie. All eyes were on AoU. I remember that time well. I think 140M OW was expected. Anyway, previews weren't all that and then Friday blew up and the rest is history. TA OW went down which nobody expected to happen at least not before TFA and even that was iffy because of December release. 

26 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

ERC is a noob… a true pro would note this is actually the 2nd worst MCU opening ever, not the 5th :Venom:

Like Coop mentioned. Anyways he had a point and could have actually made sense if focussed on crippled INT markets and not the solid USA debut.

Besides his frustration is because SC didn't open to $40-50M. And if I read @EmpireCity correctly, he might have actually said something positive if it had opened to $40M.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Is it possible for HBO Max to change their hybrid release plans for the rest of 2021?

Doubtful. They advertised day and date for subscribers the whole year. Some people subbed for that.  If they pull that, they’d probably get nailed with a class action lawsuit. 

38 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I think it’s very likely. 
the lengths that Wall Street and the media have gone to in the past nine months to bad mouth $AMC is jaw dropping. They’re desperate. 
I’m not saying all of Wall Street as some of the biggest hedge funds in the world are long on the stock as they know the score. Lol. 

I mean, what would you do if you ran a hedge fund or big bank and you bet the whole house on the movies going out of business? Then to your dismay retail bought up all the shares and were costing you billions a week to hold on to your short position.

Everything is being tried on a daily basis to spread complete lies about the business. They’re stuck, backs against the wall. 

Let’s not act like AMC is an actual good company. They were losing money before the pandemic 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Bw would definately had made more than it did now a normal mcu multi would give a 90-100 mill ow and with normal legs it would finish with 250-270 and thats just dom

I'm saying that Black Widow releasing in September as opposed to July probably gets its grosses eaten into a bit, regardless of which strategy they go with. Delta has changed a lot in the past two months. Had they gone with a traditional release, I assume BW does something like 550 WW in July. Incidentally, that's probably not that far off from the revenue they got anyway from its existing release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryaner90 said:

Why dont more people follow  @BORReport on twitter?

They get the numbers first and do good break downs etc.  ERC has seemed to turn up the shock jock personality up to 11 over the pandemic

Reminds me a few weeks back, ERC alluded to SC to possibly tanking by showing a picture of SC toys on clearance. 

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah but his argument is that the biggest opener had extra revenues from PA while this doesn't.

SC needs more theatrical revenue than BW to cover up for the difference in PA. Yes BW is obviously a much well know character; but i think he only looks at numbers and disregarded that.

Of course there are also impact to PVOD, VOD, Bluray sales that the day-and-date PA brings which he is not taking into account.

He's writing what I posted yesterday (and no one liked).

Cheap-o Chapek is not gonna care about "difference in characters".  He's not gonna care about "future revenue streams."  He's gonna care about "how much money did Widow get with the day and date vs Shang Chi's full theatrical".  The relatively non-overperformance overseas is gonna play into that, b/c overseas is most effected by PA - if INT box office receipts don't move up to 70% of WW revenue, Cheap-o Chapek is gonna go to Kevin and say "I need $XM in profit from Eternals by Dec 31 - how do I get it the fastest and most guaranteed?" 

Money, especially in the NOW, is the only language Chapek speaks, and if you don't believe that, check out the new Genie +, Lightning Passes, and Christmas Party prices for Disney this year...it's ALL about the short term money at the expense of fans...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

$7.7 million 3-day in U.K. (biggest during pandemic) bodes very well for the incoming Mr Bond in a few weeks

I am more interested in Europe box office of NTTD than US because it will be first BIG film to release in there, not nearly as big in US. 

I am not the target audience of film, not feeling anything personally, makes it difficult to judge a film.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

He's writing what I posted yesterday (and no one liked).

Cheap-o Chapek is not gonna care about "difference in characters".  He's not gonna care about "future revenue streams."  He's gonna care about "how much money did Widow get with the day and date vs Shang Chi's full theatrical".  The relatively non-overperformance overseas is gonna play into that, b/c overseas is most effected by PA - if INT box office receipts don't move up to 70% of WW revenue, Cheap-o Chapek is gonna go to Kevin and say "I need $XM in profit from Eternals by Dec 31 - how do I get it the fastest and most guaranteed?" 

Money is the only language Chapek speaks, and if you don't believe that, check out the new Genie +, Lightning Passes, and Christmas Party prices for Disney this year...it's ALL about the short term money at the expense of fans...

I get your and @TigerPaw point. However, Eternals is their awards player and sending it to PA = Zhao won't be eligible for DGA nomination. Now, I don't think Zhao will happen either way - the year is stacked and Eternals doesn't appear to have socio-political commentary or at least a timely one unlike BP and Joker which helped them be taken seriously by AMPAS. So I think it's an uphill battle for so-called blockbuster spot in Top 10 that Dune has much better chance of taking because it will sweep below the line categories. But anyway, my point is that Eternals is a bit different case because at least Feige wants to attach prestige clout to it. Don't know if Disney Corp shares the sentiment but what else do they have for awards submission this year?