Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean the fall/winter will prpbably be the same with only superheroes and Bond opening above 50m.

They'd better find a way to be content with it cause this is probably about how things stay when covid us totally gone.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cap said:

🥰🥰🥰

80BB813B-241B-4EBE-BDD0-A84BAC650C06.jpeg

Parking lot not completely full in background of pic.

Mega crash incoming. Put everything on PA.

Parking Lot Reports Never Lie.

#ERCWazRite!!!!

Spoiler

If I must:  pJgt4zW.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Before I get attacked, I ask this sincerely because I’m not scrolling through 200 posts lol. But how are the international numbers for this? I think studios might have more concern with worldwide box office hence pushing their blockbusters 

imo 56 mill for a movie with a character that its more obscure than antman+ some anti-china in some countries+ without many markets like most of south east asia , is decent enough same as antman 1 (55mill).Still the legs will matter the most

ps even pre covid i would be suprised if this had an ow os of 90

Edited by john2000

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yep. Although I’m the target audience as I absolutely love this franchise, I can tell you the anticipation is palpable here in the U.K.  It is everywhere. 
Although it would be unrealistic to expect it to do Skyfall/Spectre numbers over here in the current climate - it’s going to be big. I’ve no doubt. 

Comparatively speaking, I think Bond will open bigger in the UK than any film has opened in the US so far this year. Im hoping it alteast cracks £10m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Before I get attacked, I ask this sincerely because I’m not scrolling through 200 posts lol. But how are the international numbers for this? I think studios might have more concern with worldwide box office hence pushing their blockbusters 

Mixed bag, and on the negative side imo. In the sense that SC did what I’d consider pretty well in most places but that “pretty well” 

leads to… a fairly small debut and OS total.

Edited by Lokis Legion

56 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It did the best it can for an unknown character in this environment, around Ant Man numbers, 58M weekend. Depending on the legs it can finish around 200M (if it get a China date then it will be bigger).

About the concerns to me studios will have to accept this, unlike US where things are bad but predictible, many foreign countries are WAY more volatile covid wise, it's impossible to predict when or if things will go back to normal due to lack of vaccines and infrastructure to fight Delta.

Expect overseas as a whole to be fine again to release a movie is shooting at the dark, it is a problem but one that there's nothing to do about. They should be happy that with good domestic numbers, the situation overseas is at least sustainable for them, that's what they need to release a movie, hope for huge profits only with box office right now seems delusional.

11 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Comparatively speaking, I think Bond will open bigger in the UK than any film has opened in the US so far this year. Im hoping it alteast cracks £10m

definitely. I think it will absolutely blow past that. It opens on a Thursday too. Not sure if we’ll have previews on the 29th (Weds) but I wouldn’t be surprised. Tickets go on sale a week tomorrow. 

For reference, Spectre opened on a Monday in 2015, and it’s first 7 days clocked in a record £41.3 million. The weekend (which was the last 3 of the 7 days) came in at almost £20 million. Absolutely absurd numbers. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

You can't say that yet...as far as Chapek is concerned, Shang Chi opened slightly lower (he won't care about the whys, b/c he'll make all the points I made)...now you have to see how it legs out.  If it's even steven theatrically, PA "wins" for him b/c it has the extra $100M...

Disney fans who saw Halloween party pricing get huge increases and still sells out (and then "unselling out" by having more tickets get sold to what was supposed to be "limited" parties) then saw Christmas parties go way, way higher know that the $ is almighty for him right now.  He really doesn't care what bridges he's burning right now...

EDIT TO ADD: And let me not forget his new Annual Pass programs at his parks unveiled this week - you've never seen more pissed off Disney uber-fans at the prices and restrictions he wants...

There are others at Disney including the board and Iger that know their golden goose is the strength of their film properties, and that is because the producers and directors behind them have built something that was unprecedented and nearly impossible to build.  

The last thing they want to do is drive talent away.  They will do that if they aren't careful, and then if the quality of the movies and shows drop and suddenly are like the garbage that DC puts out, how do you think that is going to affect the revenue?

It doesn't take much to go from riding high for a decade to in the shitter.  What will Chapek's precious PA numbers look like if the films and shows they churn out are critically and commercially panned?  

At the end of the day, the cooler heads will prevail.  Disney will go back to a theatrical window like everyone else.  Talent will be happy and everyone will make a shitload of money.  

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

International numbers look bad (for the market, not for Shang-Chi). Shang-Chi probably won't reach $200 million overseas minus China, just like every other movie released this year other than F9. With China being so uncertain, and successful releases topping at $180 million domestic and another $180 million international, this is still not a safe time to release movies with a huge budget. Paramount was right to move Top Gun.

• Like 2