Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Ghostbusters feels like a completely dead franchise at this point. Gives me Suicide Squad or Terminator Dark Vibes vibes in a way following the 2016 film which did well despite budget and had A-list comedy stars but very bad word of mouth/average critic reviews. The whole idea to frame new film around nostalgia will probably backfire

Nostalgia is the only thing that hooks people in these days. A Good Burger reboot could probably gross 200M at this point.

• Haha 3

Looking at the Ghostbusters trailer numbers they are actually okay.  I could see this doing well. 

Actually second trailer did really bad for some reason it didn't seem to get uploaded to the main Sony Channel, only the Ghostbusters channel. 

Edited by Menor

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree with you:)...if theaters are open, I see a $100M+ DOM total movie...not a Venom or Spidey level hit, but one that will pull a Croods 2, especially if Encanto does get out of the way...

If theaters are open??

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That is really odd thinking.  This isn't a Suicide Squad situation.  Almost nobody remembers or gives a shit about the 2016 version, they remember and love the first 2 movies.  Much like nobody that follows Indiana Jones remembers or acknowledges that Crystal Skull exists.  

This has built in good will that will withstand and understand why the 2016 version is an offshoot.  

A lot of people remember both Ghostbusters 2016 and Crystal Skull (the idea that no one remember the latter is pretty ludicrous, movie grossed $800 mil). The difference with Crystal Skull is that it released almost 15 years ago so people have had time to forget it (same way people forgot Jurassic Park 2/3 and the prequels). But sure, I'm pretty sure people somehow remembered films like Suicide Squad and Terminator Genysis and therefore decided not to watch their respective soft-reboots but somehow forgot Ghostbusters 2016 exists. Logic makes no sense here.

And unlike any of the other movies mentioned here, there is 0 nostalgia for the franchise outside of the US.

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

If theaters are open??

You know, I make no promises on Covid and what politicians will do where as we turn to winter...we had the close then open then close thing last year in so many states, and I don't want to make absolute bets yet...call me more cautious in my "ability to forecast the future" approach...

EDIT TO ADD: I think we'll be open...in fact, I sorta know we'll be open...but I don't KNOW KNOW we'll be open...it's not one of those "you bet your life" certainty bets I would take...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

A lot of people remember both Ghostbusters 2016 and Crystal Skull (the idea that no one remember the latter is pretty ludicrous, movie grossed $800 mil). The difference with Crystal Skull is that it released almost 15 years ago so people have had time to forget it (same way people forgot Jurassic Park 2/3 and the prequels). But sure, I'm pretty sure people somehow remembered films like Suicide Squad and Terminator Genysis and therefore decided not to watch their respective soft-reboots but somehow forgot Ghostbusters 2016 exists. Logic makes no sense here.

I'm not saying they literally don't remember it, but that anyone with a brain in their head can and will overlook them and pretend they don't exist.  That's a fact.  

Anyways, going to be fun to bump these posts when it does really well in November.  

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

And unlike any of the other movies mentioned here, there is 0 nostalgia for the franchise outside of the US.

Ghostbusters is very iconic in the UK, not just the US

Edited by Chicago
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I mean, it has ghosts so it won't play in China, but yeah it can play well overseas.  

That's another reason Ghostbusters can release this fall...with China not playing many Hollywood movies right now anyway, it's not losing anything, since it's never playing there at any time...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know, I make no promises on Covid and what politicians will do where as we turn to winter...we had the close then open then close thing last year in so many states, and I don't want to make absolute bets yet...call me more cautious in my "ability to forecast the future" approach...

You can safely be sure that nothing is shutting down again.  It is political suicide to even suggest it.  It can't and won't happen unless there is some new variant that starts killing kids and healthy people at a much much higher rate.  

Did you see the crowds at college football games this weekend?  The nation has chosen to live with the virus and go on with life and that isn't changing back again unless the scenario above plays out.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm not saying they literally don't remember it, but that anyone with a brain in their head can and will overlook them and pretend they don't exist.  That's a fact.  

That is not a fact. It's called an assumption, with nothing to justify it. At least I got some historical evidence (TSS and T:DF) behind my assumption that people won't easily forget it. I would give you this if this released in another 5-10 years from now in the same way Indiana Jones 5 will from its predescessor.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That is not a fact. It's called an assumption, with nothing to justify it. At least I got some historical evidence (TSS and T:DF) behind my assumption that people won't easily forget it. I would give you this if this released in another 5-10 years from now in the same way Indiana Jones 5 will from its predescessor.

Yeah, but then Wonder Woman overcame BvS...it does happen, although it tends to hold down opening weekend...

So, maybe it's for the best Ghostbusters releases the weekend before Thanksgiving and tells folks to see it Thanksgiving...so the early viewer can share that good word of mouth...

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree with you:)...if theaters are open, I see a $100M+ DOM total movie...not a Venom or Spidey level hit, but one that will pull a Croods 2, especially if Encanto does get out of the way...

Do I smell a club forming? :thinking:

When was the last time you started a club, anyway? :lol:

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

That is not a fact. It's called an assumption, with nothing to justify it. At least I got some historical evidence (TSS and T:DF) behind my assumption that people won't easily forget it. I would give you this if this released in another 5-10 years from now.

Those are hardly historical evidence.  The Suicide Squad was a $180m hard R rated Troma film that didn't appeal to the general public in almost any way.  FilmTwitter loved it, but ma and pa in the midwest has no reason to watch it.  It also was coming off one single terribly reviewed first film with a confusing as hell premise.  

Terminator: Dark Fate is a poor example as well.  Even though that does have 2 great initial films made in the 80's and early 90's, we are like 4 shitty sequels between Terminator: Judgement Day and Terminator: Dark Fate.  Plus, it wasn't really any good.  

Ghostbusters: Afterlife appeals to young and old and across the whole country and even the world.  It is going to be really well reviewed and is very very crowd pleasing in the best of ways.  

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Do I smell a club forming? :thinking:

When was the last time you started a club, anyway? :lol:

Never - it's something I leave to all of you to create:).  I'm a better joiner:)...

Dammit, and I'm out of likes - I owe you one:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

sl8o7qvychc71.gif

Always a first time! 👍

Yeah, I'd need to send in a "top movies" list, 1st, since I fail on those, two (but when you've seen so many movies, they are actually too hard to do after my top 5-10 movies in each genre:)...

Although maybe if I made myself send in lists of movies pre-1990 to even out the recency bias...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Those are hardly historical evidence.  The Suicide Squad was a $180m hard R rated Troma film that didn't appeal to the general public in almost any way.  FilmTwitter loved it, but ma and pa in the midwest has no reason to watch it.  It also was coming off one single terribly reviewed first film with a confusing as hell premise.  

Terminator: Dark Fate is a poor example as well.  Even though that does have 2 great initial films made in the 80's and early 90's, we are like 4 shitty sequels between Terminator: Judgement Day and Terminator: Dark Fate.  Plus, it wasn't really any good.  

Ghostbusters: Afterlife appeals to young and old and across the whole country and even the world.  It is going to be really well reviewed and is very very crowd pleasing in the best of ways.  

The Suicide Squad being "a troma film" affects legs, not opening weekend. I guess the R-rating did but this is the kind of film that at best would've opened to half the original's opening due to previous one being bad. Movie literally had a 91% on RT (higher too on its release day) and didn't save it. And T: DF might not have been any good but it also had decent reviews which didn't really bolster its opening weekend. And at the point T: DF released, Salvation and Rise of the Machines were over 10 years old. I doubt either had the kind of impact Genysis had.

Ghostbusters Afterlife might appeal to the young and old across the country (definitely not the world lmao) but there are a half a dozen films releasing across the holidays that will easily take away the young and the old (King Richard, Encanto, WSS, Spiderman 2, Matrix 4, Sing 2).

Edited by lorddemaxus