Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife appeals to young and old and across the whole country and even the world.  It is going to be really well reviewed and is very very crowd pleasing in the best of ways.  

I might be completely off with this but I feel as if Ghostbusters is one of those franchises that Americans care about significantly more than the international market.

I’d argue Men in Black is more popular internationally.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife appeals to young and old and across the whole country and even the world.  It is going to be really well reviewed and is very very crowd pleasing in the best of ways.  

Even then, it’s still five years after a not well-received entry and even then I feel Ghostbusters nostalgia in general is debatable in effectiveness. WOM may help legs but I have a hard time seeing it over a $25m OW, $30m tops.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RRA said:

How did SC’s kick butt OW devolve into a a debate about Ghostbusters? 😀

Shang Chi was the movie that released this weekend...

Shang Chi is a super...

Venom and Spidey are supers...

Venom and Spidey are Sony...

Sony has Ghostbusters...

Ghostbusters is coming out in the fall...

Man, I didn't even need to reference Kevin Bacon to get there:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

I liked Shang-Chi, but like many Marvel movies it's held back by the up-top imposed mandate to make the final confrontations look as drab, uncolorful, and computerized as possible.

There was no such up-top imposed mandate.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cap said:

I am Team "Ghostbusters Was A Thing In The 80s and Not Really One Now", if that matters.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

Besides I feel we have had 80s Ghostbusters in both Stranger Things and IT.

• Like 1

Not sure how reliable it is but since we're never gonna get official budget from Disney...

"A new report in Toronto's National Post says Marvel Studios ended up spending around $150 million on Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, largely thanks in part due to a massive $50 million tax credit given to the production by the government of Australia."

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/news/shang-chi-production-budget-lower-than-other-mcu-origins/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 3

With a $21M Sunday (as per Charlie's projection), Shang-Chi is looking at ~$74M 3-day, and close to $90M 4-day - probably $88M+. The Sunday dip is about 9%, and it remains to be seen how it will hold up on Monday with the holiday.

For me, this is a very strong performance in itself and certainly relative to expectations. And with a 3-day of $74M, the share of opening weekend from previews is 11.9%. Though not a totally adequate comparison, Black Panther, which also opened on a 4-day long weekend outside of summer, had 12.5% of it's opening weekend gross from previews.

Shang-Chi is a new, lesser known MCU entity opening on a weekend historically never used to open a tentpole film. Families are focused on going back to work/school, at least here in Canada. The delta variant and concerns of another wave are in the public consciousness. Etc.

I don't know how this can't be seen as a big win for theatres. A direct comparison to Black Widow's opening weekend is, from my perspective, unfair and inapt. Black Widow is an established character in the MCU who appeared in *seven* MCU films prior to her standalone film.

Moreover, a lot of the discussion around theatrical exclusivity vs simultaneous PVOD will hinge on Shang-Chi's legs/retention, which I suspect will be good.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Nostalgia is the only thing that hooks people in these days. A Good Burger reboot could probably gross 200M at this point.

Weird thing to say when a fresh new IP is tripling the labor day record as we speak :Gaga:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Suicide Squad being "a troma film" affects legs, not opening weekend. I guess the R-rating did but this is the kind of film that at best would've opened to half the original's opening due to previous one being bad. Movie literally had a 91% on RT (higher too on its release day) and didn't save it. And T: DF might not have been any good but it also had decent reviews which didn't really bolster its opening weekend. And at the point T: DF released, Salvation and Rise of the Machines were over 10 years old. I doubt either had the kind of impact Genysis had.

Ghostbusters Afterlife might appeal to the young and old across the country (definitely not the world lmao) but there are a half a dozen films releasing across the holidays that will easily take away the young and the old (King Richard, Encanto, WSS, Spiderman 2, Matrix 4, Sing 2).

Hey Siri, set a PWNAGE alert for Nov. 19th and bump this thread. 

Thanks, Siri, love you.  

• Haha 1