Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Don't set yourself to unreal expectations.

I haven’t been. Perhaps the person on this forum with the most real expectations for this movie.   

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This will get to 90M 4 day weekend and it is fantastic. 

Nah. 90 would be fantastic but 93 is the floor.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Huh. Says someone who has the trademark of $300M opening weekend club(s.)

If only the market was normal I would have already created one for a certain movie opening in December...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

If only the market was normal I would have already created one for a certain movie opening in December...

hm .....if only someone here is bold enough ...i will wait till the sec trailer drops though 👀

Edited by john2000

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

hm .....if only someone here is bold enough ...i will wait till the sec trailer drops though 👀

In the current market it is simply not possible. Maybe 200M OW.

There are a few goal posts coming up. Disney has two pure theatrical windowed releases: 20th Century’s Ryan Reynolds’ Free Guy next weekend which is looking like $19M, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings over Labor Day. If Shang-Chi can beat the robust Labor Day 4-day of Guardians of the Galaxy ($22.9M 4th-weekend), I’d say business is pretty good. 

hm well look at that @Legion of the Ten Crores ... shang sun goal

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Edited by john2000

In other news, I rewatched Catch Me If You Can tonight. Spielberg the GOAT (throughout the 2000s and 2010s too, sorry haters). Feel like it's time to start rewatching some of Spielberg's stuff. Friend who watched this with me wants to watch Munich so I guess I'll give that a go again (and Spielberg's playing around with the camera here is something I'll never get tired of). Given 10 Spielberg films a 10/10 so far (including today's viewing) and would not be surprised by if I add another one this week.

• Like 2

Fantastic numbers for Shang-Chi, watching it tomorrow. I really hope it has amazing legs and studios start opening big movies again exclusively in theatres. Free Guy performance and now (hopefully) Shang-Chi prove that releasing the film on streaming platform same day as theatres is a really bad idea. Idk how it is in North America but in Europe, and I suspect Asia and South America, piracy is really a problem. Most of my friends wanted to watch Black Widow but watched it illegally for free, it's not a choice of theatres or 30 dollars on Disney+/ 15 dollars HBOmax, people see it as theatres or for free at home.

Edited by AN9815
spelling mistake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

In other news, I rewatched Catch Me If You Can tonight. Spielberg the GOAT (throughout the 2000s and 2010s too, sorry haters). 

If you gave a university lecture on throwing salt and trolling, I would attend 

Edited by Justin4125

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

In other news, I rewatched Catch Me If You Can tonight. Spielberg the GOAT (throughout the 2000s and 2010s too, sorry haters). Feel like it's time to start rewatching some of Spielberg's stuff. Friend who watched this with me wants to watch Munich so I guess I'll give that a go again (and Spielberg's playing around with the camera here is something I'll never get tired of). Given 10 Spielberg films a 10/10 so far (including today's viewing) and would not be surprised by if I add another one this week.

Spielberg is the greatest director of all time. Only he can make 2 movies in 1 year, 1 going on to win best picture whilst the other becomes the highest grossing movie of all time. The diversity in his films is what sets him apart from everyone else 

I remember my film studies teacher try telling me speilberg was overrated, kind of made me lose faith in teachers more than I already had. Those that can't, teach 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Chicago said:

Spielberg is the greatest director of all time. Only he can make 2 movies in 1 year, 1 going on to win best picture whilst the other becomes the highest grossing movie of all time. The diversity in his films is what sets him apart from everyone else 

As vanilla as it sounds, Id honestly consider him my favourite (a toss between him and Eastwood for me at this point). Not really for the reasons you mentioned, but he's just such a damn good craftsman and imagemaker (practically no one else in Hollywood today making films that look like his) who still has more energy than directors half his age today.

• Like 1