Jump to content
Eric Riley

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Recommended Posts

If Disney wants more international box office, quickly announce SC2 with either Jackie Chan / Jet Li / Donnie Yen; haha. Or even Wujing..

Then it will probably not just open in China but do well.  Haha.

 

Not just in China, these names are big in most parts of Asia. Haha.

Edited by TigerPaw
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

As vanilla as it sounds, Id honestly consider him my favourite (a toss between him and Eastwood for me at this point). Not really for the reasons you mentioned, but he's just such a damn good craftsman and imagemaker (practically no one else in Hollywood today making films that look like his) who still has more energy than directors half his age today.

Catch me if you can Is one of my all time favourites too. Spielberg seems to have chilled out lately,  we don't really have anyone on his level at the moment. I'd argue Nolan is probably the smartest director right now but no way is he the best

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Spielberg is the greatest director of all time. Only he can make 2 movies in 1 year, 1 going on to win best picture whilst the other becomes the highest grossing movie of all time. The diversity in his films is what sets him apart from everyone else 

 

I remember my film studies teacher try telling me speilberg was overrated, kind of made me lose faith in teachers more than I already had. Those that can't, teach 

 

William Wyler and Michael Curtiz  say hi

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If Disney wants more international box office, quickly announce SC2 with either Jackie Chan / Jet Li / Donnie Yen; haha. Or even Wujing..

Then it will probably not just open in China but do well.  Haha.

 

Not just in China, these names are big in most parts of Asia. Haha.

 

Didn't Marvel try to negotiate with Donnie Yen about the role of Wenwu but he refused?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

 

Didn't Marvel try to negotiate with Donnie Yen about the role of Wenwu but he refused?

Yeah i heard that too - I heard Stephen Chow and Donnie Yen both turned the role down; i think mainly due to the history of Shang Chi's actual dad Fu Manchu and some of them doesn't wish to take on Villain roles, and to be fair Stephen and Donnie doesn't need Hollywood.. Just look the box office of their most recent 5 films in China alone. 😆

 

But you know if SC turns out to be a big success; with more budget for a next film and new characters worthy of their time - never say never. I mean - imagine Donnie Yen's action choreography in SC2; his choreography in recent years is really 2nd to none.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah i heard that too - I heard Stephen Chow and Donnie Yen both turned the role down; i think mainly due to the history of Shang Chi's actual dad Fu Manchu and some of them doesn't wish to take on Villain roles, and to be fair Stephen and Donnie doesn't need Hollywood.. Just look the box office of their most recent 5 films in China alone. 😆

 

But you know if SC turns out to be a big success; with more budget for a next film and new characters worthy of their time - never say never. I mean - imagine Donnie Yen's action choreography in SC2; his choreography in recent years is really 2nd to none.

 

OMG I didn't know they wanted Stephen Chow to play Wenwu too ☺️ I know the origin of Shang Chi in the comic is quite controversial, I saw some Chinese fans on Reddit suggested that Marvel could have dodged a lot of trouble if they made Iron Fist movie instead of Shang Chi. Now we still don't know whether Shang Chi could have a release date in the mainland or not. 😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If you made a top 10 greatest films of all time list and half of them were Spielberg films no one would bat an eye.

 

How many directors from the last 40 years could say the same?

 

James Cameron might have something to say:)...Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorcese, too...

 

I'll keep thinking...

Edited by TwoMisfits
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

James Cameron might have something to say:)...Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorcese, too...

 

I'll keep thinking...

I cant’t think of more than 3 movies for each of those directors that would make a top 10 list all-time. You could say 4 for Cameron if you are a massive original Terminator fan, but to say it’s top 10 all-time seems a stretch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

 

OMG I didn't know they wanted Stephen Chow to play Wenwu too ☺️ I know the origin of Shang Chi in the comic is quite controversial, I saw some Chinese fans on Reddit suggested that Marvel could have dodged a lot of trouble if they made Iron Fist movie instead of Shang Chi. Now we still don't know whether Shang Chi could have a release date in the mainland or not. 😔

Even from the trailer you could see the Kungfu Hustle poster in SC's room; haha.

And you will also notice the 10 rings resemble the weapon that one of the characters in KF hustle uses. 

 

I mean not going into spoiler territory; but yeah there are quite a few references to KF hustle.

 

I am not surprised when i heard from some insiders in China that they wanted Stephen Chow. Stephen Chow is genuinely the GEM that Hollywood or the world has not discover; box office draw and talent wise - he is same league as Jackie / Jet / Donnie easily.

 

Not sure whether it will be opened there but if you have seen the film, while the action scenes is a big improvement for Hollywood standards, it is still a distance from the movies from HK legends like Stephen Chow, Donnie Yen etc. I am not sure reception will be as good as in the West. I mean for reference - reviews in Hong Kong so far has been pretty average per Wmoov and HKmovie6

 

 

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

I cant’t think of more than 3 movies for each of those directors that would make a top 10 list all-time. You could say 4 for Cameron if you are a massive original Terminator fan, but to say it’s top 10 all-time seems a stretch.

 

MS 

Raging Bull

Taxi Driver

Goodfellas

Gangs of New York

The Departed/The Aviator (whichever you like more)

 

I could go for each one:)...people's lists for Top 10 will differ based on the genres and types they like, but all the directors I mentioned have some amazing works to compete with Spielberg's...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hmmmmmmm.

I still think Afterlife is going to pull a Dark Fate/The Suicide Squad and bomb, but @EmpireCity isn't someone to be taken lightly. He fully backed Free Guy and that was a hit while he winced at Reminiscence and Respect, which both bombed hard (the latter's theatrical window was cut short as a result, being dumped on PVOD only two weeks after its release).

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Even from the trailer you could see the Kungfu Hustle poster in SC's room; haha.

And you will also notice the 10 rings resemble the weapon that one of the characters in KF hustle uses. 

 

I mean not going into spoiler territory; but yeah there are quite a few references to KF hustle.

 

I am not surprised when i heard from some insiders in China that they wanted Stephen Chow. Stephen Chow is genuinely the GEM that Hollywood or the world has not discover; box office draw and talent wise - he is same league as Jackie / Jet / Donnie easily.

 

Not sure whether it will be opened there but if you have seen the film, while the action scenes is a big improvement for Hollywood standards, it is still a distance from the movies from HK legends like Stephen Chow, Donnie Yen etc. I am not sure reception will be as good as in the West. I mean for reference - reviews in Hong Kong so far has been pretty average per Wmoov and HKmovie6

 

 

Aside from the quality of the action scenes, I can tell that both HK reviews and early reviews on Douban come to the same conclusions that 
- It feels like Wenwu was the male lead and not Shang Chi (and to an extend he had a beautiful wife/love interest which met modern Asian beauty standards)
- They still find Simu unappealing and also uncharismatic
- Outdated plot, they think the outstanding characters were Wenwu and...XiaLing.
If Marvel cast  Jackie / Jet / Donnie for the sequel, their characters will end up overshadowing the main lead Shang Chi (again) for sure. ☹️

Edited by Arian1010
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.