Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

A N Y W A Y

I just got back from the theater, and honestly, I think I'm in the best mood I've been since 2019.  We drove down to Newington, and it was A REAL THEATER.  With stadium style seats, and recliners, and drinks and popcorn that was too expensive and too big for anyone to consume.  I rounded the corner and saw the GIANT FLOOR TO WALL SCREEN and cried.  Not tear cry, but scream for joy cry.  My friend told me she'd never seen me so excited.

I was in HEAVEN. We got like SEVEN TRAILERS and I wasn't even mad at it taking so long.  OMGZ ETERNALS IN PREMIUM FORMAT.  I DIIIIIIIIIIE.

And then the movie started and it was SO GOOD.  Great action, funny moments, great character work, nifty Easter eggs, some really lovely CGI money shots, TONY LEUNG, bread crumbs for what's to come next.  All Marvel bread and butter, and you know what, it's fucking delicious.  My audience ate the whole thing up.  Lots of laughs, applauds at the end, really happy crowd.

This will have staying power through the month.  Maybe opening weekend won't be as big as some hoped, but this isn't going off a cliff next week.  I except some solid holds through September.  

• Like 20
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Six pages in and this weekend thread has been the most wildin’ in the past few years. Could be a promising thread.

You know with no numbers to speak of, we can have some for a bit....who's up for some Pokémon discussion? @The Panda, I'm sure you have...those images on standby too :ph34r: 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I can't wait to fucking dunk on ERC and others on twitter tomorrow around 10am.  

The reaction of industry folks who have been lowballing Shang-Chi when they see the previews will be something along the lines of this 

40f.png

vs. everyone that have been frequenting the tracking thread the last 2 weeks

Shocked Futurama GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I could shit on DC to balance things out. 

You may as well. I've not seen a rowdy DC fan on these boards since they released the Sn***r Cut. Hopefully theyre gone.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Shang Chi open with 98% verified audience on RT, 4.8/5 average.

Yeah this is no BW 

Why do you have to shit on BW to deliver good news on SC? BW’s scores were just fine.

I am only interested in this movie to see how the tracking thread does in its predictions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

this will be huge this weekend. I don't need to repeat my personal opinions but despite that, the theater loved Awkwafina and she's a new favorite Marvel standout for many.

This and Raya makes me sooooooo glad she's dropping that whole blaccent schtick these days. I absolutely adored her in both. Turns out she can actually be funny and deliver a strong emotional heart to a movie without that lame, gross gimmick.

Before folks here ask, yes I know she doesn't do the blaccent stuff in The Farewell, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Don't breathe down my neck :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Why do you have to shit on BW to deliver good news on SC? BW’s scores were just fine.

I am only interested in this movie to see how the tracking thread does in its predictions. 

I'm not shiting on BW, i know BW scores are fine. I just said it's no BW because BW opened lower on RT and ended up with a rare A- on Cinemascore for MCU, which probably hurt it a bit.

So following my comparisson, if SC opened way better probably means an A Cinemascore which will help legs. I think you take this too seriously.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Love posting a tweet that inspires three pages of debate and then not reading any of it.:shades:

I watched cliff walkers today, anyone seen this? thought it was pretty good. this and shadow zhang yimou is out of his slump for sure.

Saw it last month. Thought it was one of the years best.

Just gotta out, gotta catch up on some threads around here.   

Definitely designed first and foremost with American cultural/comedic sensibilities, I can understand so-so reception in some Asian markets.   

That did, for DOM, an absolute crowdpleaser. Very well put together, well paced, gorgeous, hilarious, surprisingly emotional. Your typical marvel solo grand slam, probably just below IM1, GOtG1, and (close for  me) BP for first entries.       

A definite GA accessible feel good 4 quad, action comedy and drama in solid balance. I think BB4L is toast.

• Like 3