Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

2 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

lol stop trolling. people literally said the same thing about Chadwick with Black Panther movie how he was overshadowed by everyone and he's boring blah blah but since Chadwick passed away people wanna act like they wasn't saying how he was second fiddle to Killmonger and Shuri

Yeah people forget that some folks did whine that BP got “overshadowed” in his own movie. They’ll never admit that now, but it was out there. 

if I’m giving notes for SC2, embrace Lui’s comic charm more. We had flashes of this. I’m reminded of how Hemsworth was called bland at times as Thor but then Thor Ragnarok we get wisecracking Thor and BOOM. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

lol stop trolling. people literally said the same thing about Chadwick with Black Panther movie how he was overshadowed by everyone and he's boring blah blah but since Chadwick passed away people wanna act like they wasn't saying how he was second fiddle to Killmonger and Shuri

LOL, someone doesn't think your favorite is a standout so you immediately call it trolling. Get over yourself. Leung completely obliterated Liu and that's in reviews and reactions including BOT posters reactions. Also some other SC actors upstaged him too. BP supporting cast - Killmonger, Shuri, Okoye - were singled out and were generally considered to have stolen the movie. I remember tweets that barely mentioned Boseman and were all about those other 3 plus M'baku. Also, some pundits believed that MBJ could have been nominated in Supporting Actor. So yes, that the supporting cast outshone Boseman is a known thing. He was one of Civil War standouts. I remember that as well. And Bruhl, Lumbly, Russell and JLD cameo all got better reactions than Mackie, only Kellyman faired worse but she's beyond awful. They had interesting characters and presence. Mackie was stuck with a dull character who worried about bank loan. You have to be Will Smith to make that work (see Pursuit of Happiness) which he isn't. There.

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, someone doesn't think your favorite is a standout so you immediately call it trolling. Get over yourself. Leung completely obliterated Liu and that's in reviews and reactions including BOT posters reactions. Also some other SC actors. BP supporting cast - Killmonger, Shuri, Okoye - were singled out and were generally considered to have stolen the movie. I remember tweets that barely mentioned Boseman and were all about those other 3 plus M'baku. Also, some pundits believed that MBJ could have been nominated in Supporting Actor. So yes, that the supporting cast outshone Boseman is a known thing. He was one of Civil War standouts. I remember that as well. And Bruhl, Lumbly, Russell and JLD cameo all got better reactions than Mackie, only Kellyman faired worse but she's beyond awful. They had interesting characters and presence. Mackie was stuck with a dull character who worries about bank loan. You have to be Will Smith to make that work (see Pursuit of Happiness) which he isn't. There.

1. Who said he was my favorite lol

2. Simu Liu is getting praise to just look at the reviews and not the ones that helps your argument

3. Anthony Mackie was definitely praised as a standout for TF&WS so idk what the fuck you're talking about just cuz you found him dull dont mean the critics and fans did

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, RRA said:

Hemsworth was called bland at times as Thor but then Thor Ragnarok we get wisecracking Thor and BOOM. 

Hemsworth was called bland due to having nothing to do in Thor 2 (people loved the table-flipper from the first Thor) and Whedon's complete disinterest in his character that put him in the background of Avengers and AoU. But while Ragnarok was return to form, most agree that IW was the best and most accurate use of Thor to date. Jury's out on Fat Thor. Some think the joke lasted for too long, some love it. I'm Team Short Hair. 

@iHeartJames Everyone is praised bit some got much more praise and reactions from the audience are in favor of those other characters/actors. They connected better. 

P.S. ha ha see he wasn't your favorite either! :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

30 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

1. Who said he was my favorite lol

2. Simu Liu is getting praise to just look at the reviews and not the ones that helps your argument

3. Anthony Mackie was definitely praised as a standout for TF&WS so idk what the fuck you're talking about just cuz you found him dull dont mean the critics and fans did

I love how people have selective reading with the reviews, more than half of the reviews praise Simu.

And yes I don't know in what universe Anthony Mackie is not charismatic and liked.

• Like 10

It was definitely a big thing that people said BP was "boring" in his movie and way better in Civil War. I never understood that criticism and don't particularly understand the criticism in SC as well. Both Black Panther and Shang-Chi were engaging protagonists imo and only look worse because both movies had fantastic villains (not the norm in MCU movies). Was Simu RDJ level of course not. But I thought he did pretty well. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 9

Just now, Fox20 said:

I love how people have selective reading with the reviews, more than half of the reviews praise Simu.

And yes I don't know in what universe Anthony Mackie is not charismatic and liked.

Honestly the 'Anthony Mackie is not charismatic' is the thing I meant by trolling because Mackie is probably one of the most charismatic actors in the MCU 

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do have one slight worry - Venom 2 might have been slated to underperform a tiny bit even before COVID-19, as sequels to surprise breakouts often do. That means it could underperform for reasons independent of Delta, but get framed as a Delta failure. Bond was much more of a steady bet. But Venom also has more upside.

This is not happening.

Delta is peaking right now on USA, SC opened with 95M over Labor Day during the peak. If Venom underperform a month later it will be very hard to connect it with Delta negative impact.

But i doubt Venom will do bad, trailer views are excellent, unlike SS people do like that Shit First movie.

32 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Honestly the 'Anthony Mackie is not charismatic' is the thing I meant by trolling because Mackie is probably one of the most charismatic actors in the MCU 

For non-charismatic actors we have Bucky, weird flex to pick Falcon from the duo.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

ShangChi  opening day was 25% lower than BLACK WIDOW’s. Their Saturdays were even and SHANG-CHI’s Sunday looks to be around 24% higher. Premium Access kills repeat ticket sales. SHANG-CHI will absolutely outgross Black Widow overall.

Edited by lilmac

are we gonna pretend that FATWS was really a duo show instead of this is how new Captain America began? Suuuuure. Also, when Bucky gets his own movie then we can talk about (lack of) leading man charisma.

Back on topic, SC was going to outgross BW as soon as it was obvious 3-day was going to be very close to BW theatrical OW. Monday gives it an extra advantage and no competition in NA seals the deal. Dune is looking like a decent threat in Europe, though, based on pre-sales chatter so we'll see how legs will be there. BW couldn't cross 400M WW from theaters and SC is bound for 200M+ dom. Advantage: SC.

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, lilmac said:

ShangChi  opening day was 25% lower than BLACK WIDOW’s. Their Saturdays were even and SHANG-CHI’s Sunday looks to be around 24% higher. Premium Access kills repeat ticket sales. SHANG-CHI will absolutely outgross Black Widow overall.

ViewerAnon's tweet?

45 minutes ago, Kalo said:

So is Shang Chi a fluke or is it safe to see that the box office is in a rebound? considering Free Guy, Candyman and Shang-Chi have all overperformed, as long as there isn't anymore more major lockdowns then it would seem the box office is on a rebound. October is set to be huge. people can say august was down, but there just wasn't that much to see. if most of the films releasing Oct-Dec keep their release dates we are in for a strong 4th quarter. with several potential $200m hits and at least one $300m hit (Spidy NWH)

Since July we have Jungle Cruise passing 100M, FG will pass it this week so as SC. So that's 3 movies with +100M in over a month. And we still have some surprises like Candyman.

We have only 4 other movies that surpass that since March 2020.

Things are clearly stable, other than Delta i think TSS colossal failure was the overall reason for lots of people feel insecure about box office, but after so many surprises happened.

• Like 1

I feel like it's very common for people to call protagonists boring when secondary characters and villains stand out. Luke gets a ton of this online, people in my family even called Han "the real protagonist" which is crazy to me. I see a lot of Aang-bashing for ATLA because of how well Zuko's arc was done. But personally, I loved both protagonists, and so did many people (see how after TLJ a lot of that latent love for Luke came out on both sides of the debate). 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 5

I'm not sure why this thread became a discussion about charisma but since we're here.

Falcon does lack charisma, but not because of Mackie, it's because the character was always treated in subdued ways the past few years. Not good writing, not particulally impressive action presence, no protagonism, and we have Falcon.

His TV show have some problems (but they are way less relevant than some people assume), but the character is treated with dignity there and the difference is clear, Falcon was great on that show.

• Like 7

Secondary villains and characters stand out when they are better written and/or have more charismatic actors. Luke's character arc is fantastic but Harrison Ford in his prime was one true star charisma, what X Factor is all about. Even with lackluster ROTJ (which was where Luke shone), Han remained the most popular SW character together with Vader thanks to Ford's effortless charisma. OTOH, you have a dominant leading man such as RDJ/Stark who never got upstaged by anyone. So protagonist can be interesting and charismatic but writing and actor aren't always there which opens the door for supporting ones to dominate. 

Edited by Valonqar