Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

I think Venom will do great. As has been mentioned above, it's in the same ballpark as Jurassic World whereby even if the general consensus in *online film conversation* is that it is terrible and most objective measures used to evaluate media say that it's terrible, it was still raucously popular and audiences liked it and will be there for a sequel. It will probably eventually run out of coolness points with its main target demographic but that won't be yet.

That differs significantly from, say, Suicide Squad and BVS where there was a clear chorus from Joe Public that the film was as poor as the *online film conversation* types said.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

I’m firmly in the camp that didn’t like Venom, but I’m convinced the sequel will do massive numbers. The trailers have doubled down on what audiences lapped up in the first movie. It’s a sure thing.  I think the new date is great for it too.  That second weekend with NTTD opening is going to be beautiful. 

• Like 1

Has any superhero movie ever been sold on their star more than Tom Hardy and Venom? Yes eventually Jackman and Downey got there, but they didn't start out that way. Hardy is really a big part of the appeal in this role. Rock in Black Adam will obviously render this moot btw.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

for real? Venom 2 is going to blow up? then why did they change the date so many times? 

bc sony doesnt really have big franchises other than spidey and jumanji, so they cant take that much of a hit like disney can...so ...but probably when they saw what shang chi can do ...a character thats not as popular or as hyped like venom 2 is....they changed they mind

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I think Venom will do great. As has been mentioned above, it's in the same ballpark as Jurassic World whereby even if the general consensus in *online film conversation* is that it is terrible and most objective measures used to evaluate media say that it's terrible, it was still raucously popular and audiences liked it and will be there for a sequel. It will probably eventually run out of coolness points with its main target demographic but that won't be yet.

That differs significantly from, say, Suicide Squad and BVS where there was a clear chorus from Joe Public that the film was as poor as the *online film conversation* types said.

No way was Venom's reception on the same level as JW. JW was a legit hit with audiences. It had a great multi even off a massive OW, with an A Cinemascore and 4.5 stars on PostTrak (compare to B+ and 4 stars for Venom). Despite that Fallen Kingdom had a big drop, but JW sold itself on nostalgia while Venom did not, so Venom 2 has that advantage vs FK. 

Also re what people have said about Venom's trailers, they have certainly done really well, but no better than the first one's trailers. Not sure it will increase much but probably won't have a big drop either. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

"Those are rookie numbers".

I think it outperforms BW.

85/210

I think the first one isn't all that well liked by the GA. I was expecting a decrease even without COVID.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

bc sony doesnt really have big franchises other than spidey and jumanji, so they cant take that much of a hit like disney can...so ...but probably when they saw what shang chi can do ...a character thats not as popular or as hyped like venom 2 is....they changed they mind

I see. Good for V2 then. I hope it does blow up. Good for cinema and good for anti-PA/Max/Other Cause. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Whoa, the Venom 2 trailer views are off the chain compared to everything except Spider-Man this year. I love Tom so I'll be there but you never know with breakout surprises how fast they can come down.

Would not be surprised if most of those views come from Asian countries, where Venom is huge.