Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The situation (about what we are talking about) was massively better in the early 70s than now, no ?

Truffaut, Bergman, Fellini, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa were somewhat cultural big deal even if they would not have made Hollywood movies, 40 year's ago, in a way it is hard to think to similar example. Maybe it is because Hollywood is getting better at getting them early from Besson-Villeneuve to Bayona to Bong Joon-Ho but anyway I am not sure in what way there was progress between now in 40 year's ago in that regard (has you study cinema, you would have a grasp on that).

That could be complete revisionist history and those were has niche if not more in the USA than Cuaron, del Toro, Iñárritu, Ang Lee, Bayona, Ho and Villeneuve pre Hollywood output in reality and the feeling that you become a big deal in the US just once you make something for that audience was always true and not just a more recent thing, but Oscar success and box office do seem to point to the opposite, that it got much worst over time.

I'm not aware of exact admissions on ticket sales, but all the names you mentioned are known and respected for decades for pushing the limits on their work and making culturally relevant movies in a way that impact other great artists and productions. The new Hollywood was deeply impacted by foreign movies and many of names you said and others, resulting in a new type of american movies that became classics, but still the "original" movies aren't necessarily largely consumed by audiences, especially in US. 

The thing is that, like i said, their works impact so many wonderful talents for decades, and these talents always quote them as inspirations etc, so with time, many documentaries and lots of american movies influenced by them, their names become more and more recognizable, even if the movies wasn't. So in my pov this is more of an idealized dream that they're truly known by GP, just because their names is culturally relevant.

To me we have more known foreign directors today when it comes to movies watched by GP, because like you said, lots of them are now working for Hollywood and making a movie here or there that is truly watched by big audiences. They aren't impactful like the names you said, but their work is more recognizable.

But yeah this is a long discussion, i'm actually a bit worried that we're off topic lol.

38 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

These type of videos is still a thing? WTF.

I remember those during CM rollout i have no idea this is still happening.

The sad thing is that proof how the attacks to CM and Brie wasn't because she speaks for herself, because nobody on SC make largely political comments and still seems like the same people hate it.

Knowing that i imagine the same will happen to Eternals considering this one not only is directed by an Chinese woman but also have the most diverse cast of the MCU.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The sad thing is that proof how the attacks to CM and Brie wasn't because she speaks for herself, because nobody on SC make largely political comments and still seems like the same people hate it.

Knowing that i imagine the same will happen to Eternals considering this one not only is directed by an Chinese woman but also have the most diverse cast of the MCU.

Honestly I’m waiting for them to start a complaint meme that SC  is “too powerful” like they did CM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Honestly I’m waiting for them to start a complaint meme that SC  is “too powerful” like they did CM.

Out of reactions.

The good thing is that every time they choose a movie to attack, the movie turns into a success lol, it's hilarious.

I'm anxious about The Marvels only to see people having meltdowns about it when it suddenly gross a billion again (if COVID make it possible, of course).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Sam Jackson and Joaquin Phoenix were going quite a bit more extreme in their comments around that same time from memory and there was very little click money to be made with those, if you paid your due and were perceived has impossible to move, it make it quite little appealing from the sharks, they need to smell bloods and feel like people can get hurt to get exicted.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sam Jackson and Joaquin Phoenix were going quite a bit more extreme in their comments around that same time from memory and there was very little click money to be made with those, if you paid your due and were perceived has impossible to move, it make it quite little appealing from the sharks, they need to smell bloods and feel like people can get hurt to get exicted.

Agreed, this kind of people must think it's easier to attack and hurt woman and asian-american people.

Sam Jackson and Joaquin Phoenix are men so they get a pass. (Sam is a Black man tho, but being in his position probably make people scared to mess with him).

7 hours ago, Menor said:

I don't think 2 movies doing 1 billion OS qualifies as consistency. F6 did around 550 OS in the same year that Iron Man 3 did 800. F9 in normalcy may have done around 700 OS which has been done by MCU movies like FFH, CM. 

It's hard to take you seriously when overseas, F9 will end up grossing more than both MCU movies this year combined. It trippled BW and you're trying to tell me MCU averagely is a bigger draw overseas? Sorry but no, this year is your proof.

Even with the added premier Access gross, BW's worldwide take is coming in below F9's overseas gross. 

You are also forgetting the 3D subcharge for all these marvel movies too which give its gross an added 10% at the very least. Over the past 10 years the average Fast movie has grossed 768m overseas (would be closer to 850m with 3D) compared to MCU's 725 (with 3D). The odds of the next fast movies grossing more overseas than the next MCU movie is high. A betting agency would have an average Fast movie as an overseas favourite to an average MCU movie.  Even your examples, CM, FFH and IM 3 all sold less tickets overseas than the average fast movie this last 10 years. 

So I have to disagree, the performances don't really support your claim

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Actually Brie was disliked because she comes across as very unlikeable. I remember when she tried getting a security guard in trouble for asking her out

• Knock It Off 6

15 minutes ago, Chicago said:

It's hard to take you seriously when overseas, F9 will end up grossing more than both MCU movies this year combined. It trippled BW and you're trying to tell me MCU averagely is a bigger draw overseas? Sorry but no, this year is your proof.

Even with the added premier Access gross, BW's worldwide take is coming in below F9's overseas gross. 

You are also forgetting the 3D subcharge for all these marvel movies too which give its gross an added 10% at the very least. Over the past 10 years the average Fast movie has grossed 768m overseas (would be closer to 850m with 3D) compared to MCU's 725 (with 3D). The odds of the next fast movies grossing more overseas than the next MCU movie is high. A betting agency would have an average Fast movie as an overseas favourite to an average MCU movie.  Even your examples, CM, FFH and IM 3 all sold less tickets overseas than the average fast movie this last 10 years. 

So I have to disagree, the performances don't really support your claim

It seems to me that you cant see the impact that pa had.....had disney played it smart AND let it be theatrica; exlusive ... then  1) they  should have release bw in china when they could that way the movie would have made 200 mill there or so, 2) without pa multi-previews would be higher   a normal multi would get bw to 90-100 ow at least and same thing for os , then again apply normal summer legs for the movie and you get a cume of 500-550 mill sans china...add china too and we have a total ww of 700-750

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Actually Brie was disliked because she comes across as very unlikeable. I remember when she tried getting a security guard in trouble for asking her out

Actually she was disliked because she went to an awards show and defended Ava's "A Wrinkle Of Time" and during the same time said she wanted to see new faces in the press lines because all the POC reviewers were constantly being pushed in the back and never getting any questions for their websites

edit: Wait I'm sorry but what is a security guards job? to flirt or protect?

Edited by iHeartJames
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago said:

So unlikeable, she fronted a billion dollar hit. I swear the lame tryhard nonsense a vocal minority use to hate a celebrity sometimes. 🤣

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Actually she was disliked because she went to an awards show and defended Ava's "A Wrinkle Of Time" and during the same time said she wanted to see new faces in the press lines because all the POC reviewers were constantly being pushed in the back and never getting any questions for their websites

edit: Wait I'm sorry but what is a security guards job? to flirt or protect?

Oh yeah she didn't like white people reviewing movies with black people in them, I remember now.

50% of people meet their partners through work. Nothing wrong with asking someone out whilst working, it's just being spontaneous and most of us are fine with it. If you're not fine with it then a simple rejection would suffice, she didn't have to rant online about it. We don't want to live in a world where building up the courage to ask someone out is frowned upon.

Security guard dodged a speeding bullet there

10 minutes ago, RRA said:

So unlikeable, she fronted a billion dollar hit. I swear the lame tryhard nonsense a vocal minority use to hate a celebrity sometimes. 🤣

I don't hate any celebrities, I just remember why others did. 

Edited by Chicago

2 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Oh yeah she didn't like white people reviewing movies with black people in them, I remember now.

50% of people meet their partners through work. Nothing wrong with asking someone out whilst working, it's just being spontaneous and most of us are fine with it. If you're not fine with it then a simple rejection would suffice, she didn't have to rant online about it. We don't want to live in a world where building up the courage to ask someone out is frowned upon.

Security guard dodged a speeding bullet there

Honestly everything about this response is a big oof but like she didn't even name his name she simply said "a security guard" lmao but like this logic you have within the workspace says alot

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Sad, missing 100 pages also. Maybe Eternals.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

It will happen to match with the OW, wait and see.

i can probably get it there myself. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, john2000 said:

It seems to me that you cant see the impact that pa had.....had disney played it smart AND let it be theatrica; exlusive ... then  1) they  should have release bw in china when they could that way the movie would have made 200 mill there or so, 2) without pa multi-previews would be higher   a normal multi would get bw to 90-100 ow at least and same thing for os , then again apply normal summer legs for the movie and you get a cume of 500-550 mill sans china...add china too and we have a total ww of 700-750

I didn't realise BW didn't get released in China, I guess that does make a big difference. I did read that BW made about 490m WW including PA

• Like 1