Eric Atreides

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

its nothing. Its pretty much the same "China hasn't approved Shang Chi yet" article

Edited by iHeartJames
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I can't see the full article either but this doesn't seem to have any new info, just that it hasn't gotten a date yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

its nothing. Its pretty much the same "China hasn't approved Shang Chi yet" article

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

I can't see the full article either but this doesn't seem to have any new info, just that it hasn't gotten a date yet.

So it doesn't be killed in China yet.

Good news.

35 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

The first blockbuster Marvel superhero film with a Chinese lead character has been so far snubbed by China, even though it has been modified to appeal to audiences there.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings was released worldwide on September 3.
China’s censors are yet to approve the film, however, fuelling speculation that it may not be shown in the country at all, despite its success in the North American market, where it raked in a record $90 million (£65 million) over the four-day Labour Day weekend.

Marvel Studios are hoping it can repeat the cross-cultural success of Black Panther, featuring an African superhero, which grossed $1 billion worldwide and won the company its first Oscars in 2019.
Based on comics, the film was controversial in China before it cast leading roles because of Fu Manchu, Shang-Chi’s traditional arch-enemy and father, who has been seen as an insulting villainous stereotype by many Chinese people.
Marvel overhauled the Fu Manchu character and cast Tony Leung, a well-liked actor in the Chinese-language markets, to play the new role of Xu Wenwu as Shang-Chi’s father.
In an interview with a Chinese film critic last month, Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Pictures, said that there was no Fu Manchu in the film.
“This character is very offensive, and we don’t want to touch it,” Feige said. The new character, Wenwu, “cannot even be called [a] villain”, he added. “This is a story of [a] father-son relationship, with misunderstandings and conflicts.”
Still, many Chinese believe the film can never disassociate itself from Fu Manchu, a character originally created by the English author Sax Rohmer and later seen as an embodiment of Western bias against the Chinese.
Shi Wenxue, a film critic based in Beijing, told the Global Times, a party-run newspaper: “The role of Fu Manzhou is a treacherous representation of the ‘yellow peril’ stereotype in the West. Chinese audiences cannot accept a prejudiced character from 100 years ago is still appearing in a new Marvel film.”
The lead character of Shang-Chi, a master of kung fu, originally debuted in American comics in 1973 and was said to have been inspired by the popularity of Bruce Lee. However, others in China say that the new film also shows western stereotypes in the casting of its hero.
The Chinese were initially excited when Marvel Studios said it would only cast an actor of Chinese heritage for the leading role.
Yet the choice of Liu Simu, a Chinese-Canadian born in China, failed to please some critics, who see him as “not Chinese enough”. Others have argued that Liu, 32, has the looks of what the westerners consider to be Chinese and would only deepen western stereotypes of the Chinese people.
Marvel Studios was previously accused of “whitewashing” casting for its 2016 film Doctor Strange, featuring the British actress Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, who in the original comics is portrayed as an East Asian man.
Many remain unconvinced that foreigners can produce a film about a Chinese superhero, arguing their understanding of Chinese culture is superficial.
Over the past decade US studios have increasingly turned to and pandered to the Chinese market — estimated to be worth $9 billion last year — to make up for a fall in domestic box-office takings. However, Marvel’s trouble follows Disney’s lack of success in China last year with Mulan, its $200 million live-action remake of the 1998 animated film. Despite a plot based on Chinese folklore and efforts to appeal to its intended audience, including a tweaked story and predominantly Chinese cast, the film was criticised for its depictions of Chinese culture and history, and shunned by viewers.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LVB said:

The first blockbuster Marvel superhero film with a Chinese lead character has been so far snubbed by China, even though it has been modified to appeal to audiences there.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings was released worldwide on September 3.
China’s censors are yet to approve the film, however, fuelling speculation that it may not be shown in the country at all, despite its success in the North American market, where it raked in a record $90 million (£65 million) over the four-day Labour Day weekend.

Marvel Studios are hoping it can repeat the cross-cultural success of Black Panther, featuring an African superhero, which grossed $1 billion worldwide and won the company its first Oscars in 2019.
Based on comics, the film was controversial in China before it cast leading roles because of Fu Manchu, Shang-Chi’s traditional arch-enemy and father, who has been seen as an insulting villainous stereotype by many Chinese people.
Marvel overhauled the Fu Manchu character and cast Tony Leung, a well-liked actor in the Chinese-language markets, to play the new role of Xu Wenwu as Shang-Chi’s father.
In an interview with a Chinese film critic last month, Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Pictures, said that there was no Fu Manchu in the film.
“This character is very offensive, and we don’t want to touch it,” Feige said. The new character, Wenwu, “cannot even be called [a] villain”, he added. “This is a story of [a] father-son relationship, with misunderstandings and conflicts.”
Still, many Chinese believe the film can never disassociate itself from Fu Manchu, a character originally created by the English author Sax Rohmer and later seen as an embodiment of Western bias against the Chinese.
Shi Wenxue, a film critic based in Beijing, told the Global Times, a party-run newspaper: “The role of Fu Manzhou is a treacherous representation of the ‘yellow peril’ stereotype in the West. Chinese audiences cannot accept a prejudiced character from 100 years ago is still appearing in a new Marvel film.”
The lead character of Shang-Chi, a master of kung fu, originally debuted in American comics in 1973 and was said to have been inspired by the popularity of Bruce Lee. However, others in China say that the new film also shows western stereotypes in the casting of its hero.
The Chinese were initially excited when Marvel Studios said it would only cast an actor of Chinese heritage for the leading role.
Yet the choice of Liu Simu, a Chinese-Canadian born in China, failed to please some critics, who see him as “not Chinese enough”. Others have argued that Liu, 32, has the looks of what the westerners consider to be Chinese and would only deepen western stereotypes of the Chinese people.
Marvel Studios was previously accused of “whitewashing” casting for its 2016 film Doctor Strange, featuring the British actress Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, who in the original comics is portrayed as an East Asian man.
Many remain unconvinced that foreigners can produce a film about a Chinese superhero, arguing their understanding of Chinese culture is superficial.
Over the past decade US studios have increasingly turned to and pandered to the Chinese market — estimated to be worth $9 billion last year — to make up for a fall in domestic box-office takings. However, Marvel’s trouble follows Disney’s lack of success in China last year with Mulan, its $200 million live-action remake of the 1998 animated film. Despite a plot based on Chinese folklore and efforts to appeal to its intended audience, including a tweaked story and predominantly Chinese cast, the film was criticised for its depictions of Chinese culture and history, and shunned by viewers.

In other words speculations the usual....doesnt give info whatsoever

3 hours ago, RRA said:

Personally I’m now morbidly curious about Chicago’s love life. 

Let's just say my sex life peaked 12 years ago when I was 18, working in a large building society. When you put young, sexually active people in the same environment for 40 hours a week, the office parties get a little crazy 

Now I'm tied down 

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In my head I have written off movie in China, so if it releases, good, if not doesn't matter now.

We will see. I mean Space Jam and Jungle Cruise are long overdue.. they should be dated first.

Not forgetting Dune has passed censorship but still awaiting a date.. I was hoping next week. 

All in all, it is not just Shang Chi...

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

3 marvel movies in a row not getting a China release is definitely worrying. I have no hopes for Eternals releasing there. 

not really disney were the one who screwed black widow up..as for eternals or shang these were never certain...anyways until we have an actual confirmation for what will happen...this is nothing but speculation

20 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

We will see. I mean Space Jam and Jungle Cruise are long overdue.. they should be dated first.

Not forgetting Dune has passed censorship but still awaiting a date.. I was hoping next week. 

All in all, it is not just Shang Chi...

indeed however free guy got a release date way before space jam or jungle cruise...i dont even expect the studios themselves to push this movie to china now.....as they are long overdue and pirated like hell...if china ''needs''another high profile foreign movie right now...thats shang chi for sure

Edited by john2000

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

All in all, it is not just Shang Chi.

At this point, I am indifferent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

3 marvel movies in a row not getting a China release is definitely worrying. I have no hopes for Eternals releasing there. 

Maybe they will just let release them all the same time. Remember they did this to TDKR and AMS2

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

indeed however free guy got a release date way before space jam or jungle cruise...i dont even expect the studios themselves to push this movie to china now.....as they are long overdue and pirated like hell...if china "needs" another high profile foreign movie right now...thats shang chi for sure

I spoke to Gavin. In terms of distributor, Free Guy is from Fox technically and not Disney - in some overseas markets the distribution arm have not merged.. 

While Jungle Cruise and Shang Chi are both Disney distributed.

China does not need foreign movies... oh gosh, i cringe when I see such statements from you about China needing Holluwood. People in China can survive with their own films; just like how Hollywood don't particularly care for overseas film. People here (in this forum) care more about Hollywood films being released there so it gets a good gross compared to Chinese themselves who are okay without Hollywood. Haha.

Raging Fire just did c. USD180m in China alone. Chinese Doctor just did more than USD200m. Battle of Lake Changjin which opens 30th Sep will do around USD400m at least in China alone IMO. There are a lot of Chinese films waiting to be released and just picking good dates .. they don't need a "high profile" Hollywood film..

@Gavin Feng

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I spoke to Gavin. In terms of distributor, Free Guy is from Fox technically and not Disney - in some overseas markets the distribution arm have not merged.. 

While Jungle Cruise and Shang Chi are both Disney distributed.

China does not need foreign movies... oh gosh, i cringe when I see such statements from you about China needing Holluwood. People in China can survive with their own films; just like how Hollywood don't particularly care for overseas film. People here (in this forum) care more about Hollywood films being released there so it gets a good gross compared to Chinese themselves who are okay without Hollywood. Haha.

Raging Fire just did c. USD180m in China alone. Chinese Doctor just did more than USD200m. Battle of Lake Changjin which opens 30th Sep will do around USD400m at least in China alone IMO. There are a lot of Chinese films waiting to be released and just picking good dates .. they don't need a "high profile" Hollywood film..

@Gavin Feng

it seems that you didnt see the in the word, so before you talk , focus on what you read...

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

it seems that you didnt see the in the word, so before you talk , focus on what you read...

Yeah i saw that. LOL.

No1. China doesn't need a Hollywood film.

No.2. Even IF China needs a Hollywood film; it will not be Shang Chi.. it will be Venom for all we know.

You are assuming SC will do well there and reception will be great, for all we know - G.A reception might be average (similar to HK) or it may be another case of Monster Hunter - you know what happened right?

You want (need) Shang Chi to open there.. they don't need Shang Chi even if they need a high profile Hollywood film. Lol.

• Disbelief 1