Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

That's quite informative, thank you. 

By the way Carina Lau (regardless of her political stance) is an amazing actress and each movie I watch I get to like her more than the last. 

Can't really blame the actors for not standing up to the CCP though. The alternative is, best case, fading into obscurity and maybe finding a career outside of China, and worst case, get canceled utterly and possibly have worse repercussions to yourself or your family. Or have your name scrubbed from the Internet. Or get arrested.

Yeah not talking about the quality of their films; just their political stance.

Have you watched Dynasty Warriors by any chance.. Carina Lau is in there. Haha. 😅

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah I know Disney caters to the CCP.

I'm saying they shouldn't. 

Yeah; just reinforcing your words with the latest example. Haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

China hates being pandered to. Just look at Mulan.

LOL. They dont hate it, they hate the half-ass attempts.

People need to realize Asians are very different from Asian Americans. I don’t feel any connection with Raya at all despite it being praised by Asian Americans.

Moreover, Asia has 60% of the world’s population, contains 48 countries with very different cultures. We hate it when America movies lump at all together 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bladels said:

LOL. They dont hate it, they hate the half-ass attempts.

People need to realize Asians are very different from Asian Americans. I don’t feel any connection with Raya at all despite it being praised by Asian Americans.

Moreover, Asia has 60% of the world’s population, contains 48 countries with very different cultures. We hate it when America movies lump at all together 

Yeah. Exactly. Thank you.

Raya claims it is Southeast Asian culture... there is no Southeast Asian culture - Southeast Asia is made up of different cultures; Singapore and Thailand is different, Indonesia and Vietnam is different etc... Lumping us altogether is crazy. But Asian Americans loved it.

Similar to Shang Chi, i genuinely think reception in China.. even if it opens will be so-so, as can be seen in reception in some other parts of Asia. It is for Asian Americans, not really like East Asians living in Asia.

I mean as a mandarin speaker watching the show; i feel the accent is all over the place - there is no way some of these actors can be related in real life. I.e. Father and Son. 😅

25 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

China hates being pandered to. Just look at Mulan.

Mulan would have easily done USD100m in China IMO without PA or piracy even with the weak reception. Before it is released, HD links on China video hosting sites were everywhere, thousands of weibo posts showing people reviewing after watching it on their TV at home..

If Great Wall can do such good numbers, i dont think Mulan cannot do half or 3/4 of that without piracy. Plus Mulan had crazy number of trailer views in China - Jet / Donnie / Gong Li in a movie...everyone was curious and wanted to watch. But... they found a different method.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

OK, this is certified parody now. First that laughable 90M OW WW and now 60% drop with no competition. Horror doesn't completely overlap so it won't steal big chunk of the audience. 

I mean I'm predicting a 55% drop next weekend, since this was a holiday weekend and all. 60% isn't that crazy even with the movie's glowing WOM.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

I mean I'm predicting a 55% drop next weekend, since this was a holiday weekend and all. 60% isn't that crazy even with the movie's glowing WOM.

55% is more reasonable IMO. It'll play well with families so likely Friday panic and Saturday jump as is the case with such movies. :)

Edited by Valonqar

The film also earned $19.3 million on Monday. That’s five times what Halloween earned ($4.2 million) on Labor Day 2007. It’s 2.7x the $6.9 million day-four and $7.2 million day-four grosses of F9 and Black Widow. It’s more than double the $9.4 million Memorial Day Monday of A Quiet Place part II and almost double the over/under $11 million holiday Monday grosses of Bad Boys for Life and Sonic the Hedgehog in early 2020. Its Monday gross that’s almost tied with the film’s pure Friday gross ($29.6 million minus $8.8 million in Thursday previews) while pushing the film’s global cume over $150 million. It puts Shang-Chi’s four-day debut right in line with the Fri-Sun debuts of some of the MCU’s biggest breakout hits, even when adjusted for inflation.

Scott Mendelson -

www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/09/07/shang-chi-box-office-opening-like-thor-legs-like-black-panther/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Just finished watching Shang Chi, such a great movie. I really hope the legs are fantastic. Having seen the film I don't understand the people that were calling Simu Liu ugly or not hot enough...like damn, that is not hot enough for you? I'll take him no worries

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Just finished watching Shang Chi, such a great movie. I really hope the legs are fantastic. Having seen the film I don't understand the people that were calling Simu Liu ugly or not hot enough...like damn, that is not hot enough for you? I'll take him no worries

this doesnt make sense to say the least, you see the movie for the story not for the actor/actress and how hot he/she is, i dont understand it either at all BUT it is what it is for better or worse

Edited by john2000

58 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah. Exactly. Thank you.

Raya claims it is Southeast Asian culture... there is no Southeast Asian culture - Southeast Asia is made up of different cultures; Singapore and Thailand is different, Indonesia and Vietnam is different etc... Lumping us altogether is crazy. But Asian Americans loved it.

Similar to Shang Chi, i genuinely think reception in China.. even if it opens will be so-so, as can be seen in reception in some other parts of Asia. It is for Asian Americans, not really like East Asians living in Asia.

I mean as a mandarin speaker watching the show; i feel the accent is all over the place - there is no way some of these actors can be related in real life. I.e. Father and Son. 😅

Yeah

Disney claimed Raya is the first South East Asians Princess. WTF is that even mean? I'm Vietnamese and in no universe we act like Raya. The only thing remotely Vietnamese about Raya is when Raya and Namaari calling each other “dep la”. That's vietnamese word but it sounds so strange in the movie, nobody in Vietnam use the word like that.

I'm glad the movie boombed in SE Asia.

And people in this thread can forget about the idea that casting one or two famous Chinese actor can increase movie's box office in Asia. That just seems a little insulting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1