Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, bladels said:

Yeah

Disney claimed Raya is the first South East Asians Princess. WTF is that even mean? I'm Vietnamese and in no universe we act like Raya. The only thing remotely Vietnamese about Raya is when Raya and Namaari calling each other “dep la”. That's vietnamese word but it sounds so strange in the movie, nobody in Vietnam use the word like that.

I'm glad the movie boombed in SE Asia.

And people in this thread can forget about the idea that casting one or two famous Chinese actor can increase movie's box office in Asia. That just seems a little insulting. 

Do Vietnamese like Chinese movies more or Hollywood more?

35 minutes ago, exomassey said:

The film also earned $19.3 million on Monday. That’s five times what Halloween earned ($4.2 million) on Labor Day 2007. It’s 2.7x the $6.9 million day-four and $7.2 million day-four grosses of F9 and Black Widow. It’s more than double the $9.4 million Memorial Day Monday of A Quiet Place part II and almost double the over/under $11 million holiday Monday grosses of Bad Boys for Life and Sonic the Hedgehog in early 2020. Its Monday gross that’s almost tied with the film’s pure Friday gross ($29.6 million minus $8.8 million in Thursday previews) while pushing the film’s global cume over $150 million. It puts Shang-Chi’s four-day debut right in line with the Fri-Sun debuts of some of the MCU’s biggest breakout hits, even when adjusted for inflation.

Scott Mendelson -

www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/09/07/shang-chi-box-office-opening-like-thor-legs-like-black-panther/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Seem like Disney found hundreds k just to avoid any "4" in the box office number. 

16 minutes ago, bladels said:

Yeah

Disney claimed Raya is the first South East Asians Princess. WTF is that even mean? I'm Vietnamese and in no universe we act like Raya. The only thing remotely Vietnamese about Raya is when Raya and Namaari calling each other “dep la”. That's vietnamese word but it sounds so strange in the movie, nobody in Vietnam use the word like that.

And people in this thread can forget about the idea that casting one or two famous Chinese actor can increase movie's box office in Asia. That just seems a little insulting. 

regardless of what a company says at the end of the day what matters imo is the enjoyment of a movie if you like raya good for you if not then good again, opinions are subjective.....speaking personally hollywood has also make movies about  ancient greece and using parts of our mythology ...that didnt work well at all imo ..but at the end of the day i didnt care i liked some these movie some others not...i never took them seriously yeah their adaptions are shit ...so what ? 

PS1 thats only my opinion gus...you dont have to agree, i am also not saying that the situation is exactly the same , i am just using this example to make my point.If i didnt do it correctly feel free to correct me

PS2 in terms of shang chi  imo it matter is you liked the movie or not..... was shang chi at the end of the day an enjoyable flick for you ? regardless of the accuracy ? if yes then thats awesome if not then again no problem

Edited by john2000
  • Like 3

Well now people know what does it feel reading that "all latinos" should be excited for In the Heights...

Or the fact that apparently latinos are unable to speak in one language at the time.

Edited by Fox20

2 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Do Vietnamese like Chinese movies more or Hollywood more?

Hollywood movies for now but Chinese movies are growing fast

Local movies are growing the fastest tho. Few years ago, top grossing movies in Vietnam are all Hollywood's. Now only Avengers and Fast & Furious movies can compete with local movies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

regardless of what a company says at the end of the day what matters imo is the enjoyment of a movie if you like raya good for you if not then good again, opinions are subjective.....speaking personally hollywood has also make movies about  ancient greece and using parts of our mythology ...that didnt work well at all imo ..but at the end of the day i didnt care i liked some these movie some others not...i never took them seriously yeah their adaptions are shit ...so what ? 

PS thats only my opinion gus...you dont have to agree, i am also not saying that the situation is exactly the same , i am just using this example to make my point.If i didnt do it correctly feel free to correct me

My point is Hollywood just make a good movie and we gonna see it. Cheap strategies like adding a few actors or few references won't work. Asia is way too big and diverse for that to happen.

Avengers use none of those tricks and it's the highest grossing film in many countries.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bladels said:

Yeah

I think Raya sub-performance is just inevitable outcome when Raya wasn't that big hit in USA. One cannot deny strong correlation between domestic market and international space. While there are one or two exception like Warcraft and Resident evil, where domestic market only contributed 10%, that was actually largely buoyed by China alone, the rest of the world didn't really follow suit. 

And to remind all, you can say MCU or FF series is a big international hit, but don't forget the box office from their initial films were very domestic centric. It is the overperformance in NA market that lead to the subsequent international recognition.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bladels said:

My point is Hollywood just make a good movie and we gonna see it. Cheap strategies like adding a few actors or few references won't work. Asia is way too big and diverse for that to happen.

Avengers use none of those tricks and it's the highest grossing film in many countries.

i agree with that , but still i think that even if cheap strategies continue ..what still matters is the product

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Raya is smashing on D+ for months, i wouldn't call this a flop.

It was released in terrible timing, without some chains and with D+ available

People call WW84 a flop all the time and that released at an even worse time than Raya did (less than 44% of the market) and was available at home for no extra cost. 

The films that released during that August 2020 - February 2021 period can’t be treated like normal circumstance runs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

OK, this is certified parody now. First that laughable 90M OW WW and now 60% drop with no competition. Horror doesn't completely overlap so it won't steal big chunk of the audience. 

A 60% drop for a CBM or tentpole regardless of WOM isn’t exactly a rare event, let alone coming after a holiday weekend.

The key different between this LD weekend and LD in 2018 and 2019 is, we have almost none of the movies gain from Saturday to sunday when in both 2018 and 2019, all films at least had single digit gain in Sunday. Monday drop is also harsher this year with 5 movies in top 10 dropped more than 30% from Sunday but only one in 2018 and zero films in 2019 had this level of drop.    

One of the not-so-satisfying observation.  

• Knock It Off 1

50 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Nearly 20M on Monday. Absolutely ridiculous. This is a must see theatrical event. I want it to slay until Venom.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

People call WW84 a flop all the time and that released at an even worse time than Raya did (less than 44% of the market) and was available at home for no extra cost. 

The films that released during that August 2020 - February 2021 period can’t be treated like normal circumstance runs. 

Financially ww84 is the bigger flop because at least Raya has that PA money. Raya is also doing extremely well on streaming while I doubt anyone still watches ww84 on hbomax. Besides ww84 is already a flop when you compare it to Raya.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Financially ww84 is the bigger flop because at least Raya has that PA money. Raya is also doing extremely well on streaming while I doubt anyone still watches ww84 on hbomax. Besides ww84 is already a flop when you compare it to Raya.

Raya to this day it's still top 10 on Nielsen to put in perspective its run.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Patty got lucky, ww84 would have dropped big time in nonpandemic times. With the weird HBO max deal Patty and Gal still got paid extra and ww3 will happen.

Now Patty will give ww3 an 45 minute CGI shitfest action final battle to please the studio and fanboys disappointed at the art movie ww84.