Jump to content
Eric Presley

Weekday Numbers (9/7-9) | Shang-Chi 6.62M Tuesday

Recommended Posts

I think critics scores have been up the last decades. It's because there are more "unqualified" critics. But even some critics from prestigious magazines act sometimes like they have not seen a movie in their life. I don't wanna give examples, but there are plenty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

So 77% of the people recommended the movie, what is wrong with it? people need to stop using RT percentajes as scores.

Such a crying shame that Rotten Tomatoes won out over Metacritic when it comes to mindshare among the movie going public.

 

...

 

A cynic might think that the implied grade inflation (an RT of 80 implying that a movie is four out of five stars in quality as opposed to it actually meaning four out of five critics liked it) played a role in folks promoting it (both corps and people via WOM), but I am not nearly such a cynical person.

 

Oh, no.  Not at all. :ph34r:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Such a crying shame that Rotten Tomatoes won out over Metacritic when it comes to mindshare among the movie going public.

 

...

 

A cynic might think that the implied grade inflation (an RT of 80 implying that a movie is four out of five stars in quality as opposed to it actually meaning four out of five critics liked it) played a role in folks promoting it (both corps and people via WOM), but I am not nearly such a cynical person.

 

Oh, no.  Not at all. :ph34r:

 

Eh.  The RT average is there for anyone to see if they could be bothered.  Metacritic isn't any great shakes either when they're grading ungraded reviews from many of the top newspapers/mags/critics (who if they wanted to give grades would).  In many cases it looks like they don't even read beyond the first sentence or just don't comprehend the review.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

 

Eh.  The RT average is there for anyone to see if they could be bothered.  Metacritic isn't any great shakes either when they're grading ungraded reviews from many of the top newspapers/mags/critics (who if they wanted to give grades would).  In many cases it looks like they don't even read beyond the first sentence or just don't comprehend the review.

 

Fair enough, but it's the RT Score which gets retweeted/repeated far and wide.  Even in casual conversation not too many people repeat the average.  I mean, I make it a point to include it in most of my discussions, but I also realize it's partly me being ornery and wanting to make sure I repeat the actual important bit in my mind (consensus average score versus consensus up/down).

 

Still, point taken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Coogler and Waititi aren't considered great directors?

No, I wouldn’t say so yet. Not on Branagh or Zhao’s level. Definitely not Coogler. 
 

it’s all subjective though. Just my opinion. For the record, I really like a couple of movies from both Coogler and Waititi

Edited by wildphantom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

No, I wouldn’t say so yet. Not on Branagh or Zhao’s level. Definitely not Coogler. 
 

it’s all subjective though. Just my opinion. For the record, I really like a couple of movies from both Coogler and Waititi

Is Chloe Zhao considered a great director? She's only got 3 movies under her belt before Eternals.... the audience score for those movies is 82% for Nomadland and The Rider and 64% for Songs my brother taught me. 

 

Coogler on the other hand has BP, Creed and Fruitvale station, all of which match the Critic score for Zhao's movies but even his lowest Audience score is a good bit higher..... I just don't get where the idea that she's a great director comes from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Is Chloe Zhao considered a great director? She's only got 3 movies under her belt before Eternals.... the audience score for those movies is 82% for Nomadland and The Rider and 64% for Songs my brother taught me. 

 

Coogler on the other hand has BP, Creed and Fruitvale station, all of which match the Critic score for Zhao's movies but even his lowest Audience score is a good bit higher..... I just don't get where the idea that she's a great director comes from.

 

She won everything this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Angel said:

 

She won everything this year.

The Oscars have been a laughing stock for awhile if that's what you are referring to. I hadn't even heard of 2 of her 3 movies before this thread, calling her a major director just doesn't line up with the fact that she's basically an unknown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The Oscars have been a laughing stock for awhile if that's what you are referring to. I hadn't even heard of 2 of her 3 movies before this thread, calling her a major director just doesn't line up with the fact that she's basically an unknown.

"Known" and "great" are two different things, let alone counting BP, I'll give you Creed but she is basically in a similar positions as Coogler pre-Black Panther, except Nomaland pretty much swept awards not just Oscars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(1) Shang-Chi and the Legend … Walt Disney $3,908,701 -15%   4,300 $909 $109,815,141 7
2 (2) Candyman Universal $649,815 -7% -50% 3,569 $182 $43,202,280 14
3 (3) Free Guy 20th Century… $476,066 -4% -44% 3,885 $123 $96,020,050 28
4 (4) PAW Patrol: The Movie Paramount Pi… $202,870 -10% -56% 3,004 $68 $32,404,447 21
5 (5) Jungle Cruise Walt Disney $196,069 n/c -46% 3,075 $64 $107,443,347 42
6 (6) Don’t Breathe 2 Sony Pictures $165,280 -5% -38% 2,176 $76 $29,093,364 28
- (-) Respect United Artists $124,231 -2% -36% 2,107 $59 $22,687,537 28
- (-) The Night House Searchlight … $50,998 -4% -56% 1,020 $50 $6,563,426 21
- (-) The Protégé Lionsgate $49,167 -6% -52% 1,451 $34 $7,180,327 21
- (-) Black Widow Walt Disney $40,719 n/c -26% 750 $54 $182,817,287 63
- (-) Old Universal $30,750 -1% -38% 742 $41 $47,489,415 49
- (-) The Green Knight A24 $23,118 -4% -42% 368 $63 $17,077,849 42
- (-) Stillwater Focus Features $13,150 +8% -44% 488 $27 $14,366,260 42
- (-) Flag Day United Artists $12,518 -4% +208% 196 $64 $339,098 21
- (-) A Rescue of Little Eggs Lionsgate $7,436 -18% -35% 302 $25 $775,493 14
- (-) Together Bleecker Street $5,351 +9% -38% 244 $22 $210,354 14
- (-) F9: The Fast Saga Universal $4,960 -7% -43% 387 $13 $172,892,120 77
- (-) The Boss Baby: Family Bus… Universal $4,515 -2% -67% 445 $10 $57,033,280 70
- (-) Pig Neon $2,406 +11% -37% 42 $57 $3,186,667 56
- (-) Ailey Neon $1,748 -27% +56% 22 $79 $204,512 49
- (-) Who You Think I Am Cohen Media … $1,218 -6%   15 $81 $17,431 7
- (-) The Forever Purge Universal $1,030 -12% -44% 234 $4 $44,465,060 70
- (-) Cruella Walt Disney $930 +14% -74% 55 $17 $86,085,061 105
- (-) We Need to Do Something IFC Midnight $865 +16%   27 $32 $10,470 7
- (-) Tango Shalom Vision Films $800 +44%   4 $200 $27,513 7
- (-) The Year of the Everlasti… Neon $525 +11%   3 $175 $4,726 7
- (-) Confetti Dada Films $221 -61% -52% 7 $32 $31,719 21
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Weekly:

 

← Previous Chart Chart Index  
    Movie Distr Gross %LW Thr Thr
Chng
Per
Thr
Total
Gross
W
1 N Shang-Chi and the Leg… Walt Disney $109,815,141   4,300   $25,538 $109,815,141 1
2 (1) Candyman Universal $14,688,910 -48% 3,569 n/c $4,116 $43,202,280 2
3 (2) Free Guy 20th Cent… $12,846,069 -26% 3,885 -55 $3,307 $96,020,050 4
4 (3) PAW Patrol: The Movie Paramount… $6,079,786 -31% 3,004 -185 $2,024 $32,404,447 3
5 (4) Jungle Cruise Walt Disney $5,745,356 -13% 3,075 -295 $1,868 $107,443,347 6
6 (5) Don’t Breathe 2 Sony Pict… $3,312,444 -18% 2,176 -527 $1,522 $29,093,364 4
7 (6) Respect United Ar… $2,033,265 -36% 2,107 -500 $965 $22,687,537 4
8 (7) The Suicide Squad Warner Bros. $1,379,709 -50% 1,561 -875 $884 $54,881,341 5
9 (12) Black Widow Walt Disney $1,063,968 -1% 750 -300 $1,419 $182,817,287 9
10 (9) The Night House Searchlig… $817,500 -54% 1,020 -1,220 $801 $6,563,426 3
11 (8) The Protégé Lionsgate $814,097 -64% 1,451 -1,126 $561 $7,180,327 3
12 (10) Old Universal $708,760 -36% 742 -394 $955 $47,489,415 7
- (14) The Green Knight A24 $308,190 -39% 368 -184 $837 $17,077,849 6
- (13) A Rescue of Little Eggs Lionsgate $259,485 -50% 302 -18 $859 $775,493 2
- (15) Space Jam: A New Legacy Warner Bros. $253,666 -41% 352 -232 $721 $70,140,277 8
- (-) Stillwater Focus Fea… $212,375 -42% 488 -251 $435 $14,366,260 6
- (-) Flag Day United Ar… $205,551 +174% 196 +148 $1,049 $339,098 3
- (-) The Boss Baby: Family… Universal $121,710 -56% 445 -140 $274 $57,033,280 10
- (-) The Lost Leonardo Sony Pict… $115,109 +111% 92 +56 $1,251 $218,707 4
- (-) F9: The Fast Saga Universal $108,220 -34% 387 -150 $280 $172,892,120 11
- (11) Reminiscence Warner Bros. $75,167 -93% 314 -2,951 $239 $3,867,983 3
- (-) Together Bleecker … $65,902 -54% 244 -6 $270 $210,354 2
- (-) Cruella Walt Disney $46,271 -33% 55 -10 $841 $86,085,061 15
- (-) On Broadway Kino Lorber $30,869 +341% 63 +54 $490 $46,931 3
- (-) The Forever Purge Universal $29,045 -24% 234 -64 $124 $44,465,060 10
- (-) Nine Days Sony Pict… $28,883 +29% 27 -10 $1,070 $666,441 6
- (-) Pig Neon $28,357 -38% 42 -15 $675 $3,186,667 8
- N Tango Shalom Vision Films $27,513   4   $6,878 $27,513 1
- (-) 12 Mighty Orphans Sony Pict… $18,576 -79% 41 -214 $453 $3,662,170 13
- N Who You Think I Am Cohen Med… $17,431   15   $1,162 $17,431 1
- N Yakuza Princess Magnolia … $14,139   63   $224 $14,139 1
- (-) Ailey Neon $11,477 +14% 22 +2 $522 $204,512 7
- N We Need to Do Something IFC Midnight $10,470   27   $388 $10,470 1
- (-) Swan Song Magnolia … $9,036 -35% 22 -8 $411 $117,629 5
- (-) Ma Belle, My Beauty Good Deed… $8,254 -1% 25 +11 $330 $25,387 3
- (-) Prisoners of the Ghos… Mongrel M… $6,782 +175% 3 +2 $2,261 $10,780 2
- (-) Ema Music Box… $5,878 -20% 11 -7 $534 $50,402 4
- (-) Confetti Dada Films $5,093 -35% 7 -3 $728 $31,719 3
- N The Year of the Everl… Neon $4,726   3   $1,575 $4,726 1
- (-) Demonic IFC Midnight $3,966 -4% 3 -24 $1,322 $62,569 3
- (-) Beans Mongrel M… $2,634 +53% 8 +1 $329 $154,238 24
- (-) Cryptozoo Magnolia … $1,603 -80% 10 -14 $160 $29,760 3
- (-) Without Getting Kille… Good Deed… $1,239 -69% 4 -1 $310 $49,552 7
- (-) Never Gonna Snow Again Kino Lorber $1,158 -44% 6 n/c $193 $15,352 6
- (-) Mama Weed Music Box… $971 +111% 3 +1 $324 $29,151 8
- (-) The Meaning of Hitler IFC Films $578 -11% 5 n/c $116 $12,260 4
- (-) John and the Hole IFC Films $306 +19% 3 n/c $102 $25,386 5
- (-) Summer of 85 Music Box… $230 +81% 1 n/c $230 $70,992 12
- (-) Lydia Lunch: The War … Kino Lorber $151 -42% 2 n/c $76 $12,948 11
                     
    49   $161,346,016        
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Have to say I love your optimism after hoping for Shang chi to stay flat yesterday 🙂 still this way kiddo. I am unfortunately too cynical 🙂

:) well i wasnt really expecting thursday to be flat... a drop in the range of 5-15 was always way more likely than a 1 or 2 % , still letse see how friday does :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.