Eric Atreides

Weekday Numbers (9/7-9) | Shang-Chi 6.62M Tuesday

1 minute ago, Menor said:

It's doing fine. Legs won't be at BP level but it's still well on track to clear 200.

people forget that 1 month ago if someone was to say that shang shi would hit 200 mill dom alone...it would have sounded ridiculous to many users

Edited by john2000

19 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Even lower again from Forbes earlier. Are they not getting accurate info and posting guesses?

Its not too bad but the weekdays haven’t been that impressive unfortunately. Hopefully it has some good weekend dumps. Maybe it’s not breaking out with strong WOM like I thought.

Nope, Forbes was barely off - just over 100k. You need to understand the difference in box office from say 2 weeks ago before school and football to now. 

The leggy hopes of 1 poster (the 260m) are not the norm even before covid. Shang-Chi is doing well and held well this week. Anything over 30m this weekend is a win considering its opening was highly inflated with the holiday and it doesnt have the spillover of say Black Panther which was doing more than double the business overall. 

Edited by narniadis
Misread Forbes number *updated for better accuracy
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They're fine coming off a $75m w/e but I don't see how it's going to hit the target that's been tossed around -  $260m+ (and pass TWS) with them

Wait...people were actually, honestly predicting that? Oh jeez.

12 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Maybe this will make them see the light and reverse course on their theatrical exclusivity 2021 deal. Especially Encanto. Madness.

Dude just stop. Nobody wants to read this kind of stuff anymore.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Nope, Forbes was barely off - less than 100k. You need to understand the difference in box office from say 2 weeks ago before school and football to now. 

The leggy hopes of 1 poster (the 260m) are not the norm even before covid. Shang-Chi is doing well and held well this week. Anything over 30m this weekend is a win considering its opening was highly inflated with the holiday and it doesnt have the spillover of say Black Panther which was doing more than double the business overall. 

Yeah that’s true.

However I did think Shang Chi would have a bit stronger weekdays considering we all assumed strong WOM.

However maybe there still is that percentage of people not comfortable going to theatres still that I’m not factoring in here too.

Edited by exomassey

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s not great for Shang-Chi, in my opinion. Just with my own guesses I think it’s missed every single one Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. 

not really only tuesday it came under estimates....both wed and thur were better than what the data suggested.....

Edited by john2000

4 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Wait...people were actually, honestly predicting that? Oh jeez.

Dude just stop. Nobody wants to read this kind of stuff anymore.

I believe the context was if it broke out like BP or Guardians. But that is never easy and requires more than just WOM.

• Like 2

Weird on Encanto though - Disney trying ANOTHER new strategy with only a 30 day theatrical b/c they are still gonna make it their D+ Xmas present...or their D+ PA (although on Dec 24, I'd think there'd be rioting if they wanted money from their subs)...

This does mean it's out of the way by Dec 22's releases, so good for them...

18 minutes ago, john2000 said:

people forget that 1 month ago if someone was to say that shang shi would hit 200 mill dom alone...it would have sounded ridiculous to many users

Well, the estimate was $100-165M (Box Office Pro) a month out, so $200M isn't TOO far above that number...$260M would have been, but it seems it's gonna be a stretch to get close to that...

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I believe the context was if it broke out like BP or Guardians. But that is never easy and requires more than just WOM.

This is limited by wuxia genre and other factors and I personally never thought it would break out in flyover country. I'd be very happy with AMatW numbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yeah that’s true.

However I did think Shang Chi would have a bit stronger weekdays considering we all assumed strong WOM.

However maybe there still is that percentage of people not comfortable going to theatres still that I’m not factoring in here too.

Its a combination of many things, including more limited showings than in years past. Remember as well that we have never, even in good times, had a film playing at this level until the 2nd or 3rd weekend of September. Its all a bit different on top of the Covid issues. 

That said, its hold have been in keeping with past behaviors so a lot will as usual just depend on the days to come. 

We as a forum tend to live on the highs and lows and when a film runs in the middle - or appears to - it can cause that angst that sometimes arises. Personally, I find the 15% a tad rough (higher end of possibilities) but its actually better than what the tracking suggested last night. 

• Like 3

Yeesh, this place really does like to seesaw between overreactions huh. TWS doesn’t look like a stretch goal that’s very likely to happen, but that is, you know, the stretch part.  AM&tW-DS1ish is a great range for a first entry debuting in peak delta.

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores
  • Like 6

Somehow the film that it's going to have the highest domestic total since The rise of Skywalker on 2019 is "not doing good" because people were expecting summer legs when we are not in summer and with a holiday monday... Never change

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Its a combination of many things, including more limited showings than in years past. Remember as well that we have never, even in good times, had a film playing at this level until the 2nd or 3rd weekend of September. Its all a bit different on top of the Covid issues. 

That said, its hold have been in keeping with past behaviors so a lot will as usual just depend on the days to come. 

We as a forum tend to live on the highs and lows and when a film runs in the middle - or appears to - it can cause that angst that sometimes arises. Personally, I find the 15% a tad rough (higher end of possibilities) but its actually better than what the tracking suggested last night. 

Okay cool thanks for that.

I’m still a bit new here and have a lot to learn.

• Like 3