Eric Atreides

Weekday Numbers (9/7-9) | Shang-Chi 6.62M Tuesday

Shang Chi BO is not fine, its fantastic. Look at the trend we saw over last weekend. That was beyond phenomenal. That said we are still not anywhere close to pre-covid environment and so there will be people who will just wait for it to hit D+. 6 weeks is not that long. So I think overall audience base is no where close to pre-covid times. Let us see how Eternals(or for that matter Bond or Venom 2) open. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, john2000 said:

not really only tuesday it came under estimates....both wed and thur were better than what the data suggested.....

I’m not saying the total isn’t great, it’s doing really well obviously. Just came below my own expectations each weekday this week. I’m sure it’ll have a great Friday boost and overall weekend hold. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

I’m not saying the total isn’t great, it’s doing really well obviously. Just came below my own expectations each weekday this week. I’m sure it’ll have a great Friday boost and overall weekend hold. 

i see well i too hoped for better but i am glad that it at least has normal weekdays % wise in trend with other labor day releases

54 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, the estimate was $100-165M (Box Office Pro) a month out, so $200M isn't TOO far above that number...$260M would have been, but it seems it's gonna be a stretch to get close to that...

$260m is 30% off from $200m

$100-165m is 21% to 100%  off and a really ridiculously huge range.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

$260m is 30% off from $200m

$100-165m is 21% to 100%  off and a really ridiculously huge range.

100% off seems a weird way. They had to predict ZERO $. 50% off or it grossing double the predicted number sounds better. 165m is just 35m off and that is not bad at all. 

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Shang Chi BO is not fine, its fantastic. Look at the trend we saw over last weekend. That was beyond phenomenal. That said we are still not anywhere close to pre-covid environment and so there will be people who will just wait for it to hit D+. 6 weeks is not that long. So I think overall audience base is no where close to pre-covid times. Let us see how Eternals(or for that matter Bond or Venom 2) open. 

It behaved like an MCU movie over the weekend - or just a bit under with an 8.6 multi during a non summer month with a Monday holiday.   The weekdays have been strong.  If it hits $200m (and I think it will) that's a 2.66 multi. $210m - 2.8.  $220m - 2.93   Strange did 2.73x.  TWS 2.72x    Captain Marvel 2.78x

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It behaved like an MCU movie over the weekend - or just a bit under with an 8.6 multi during a non summer month with a Monday holiday.   The weekdays have been strong.  If it hits $200m (and I think it will) that's a 2.66 multi. $210m - 2.8.  $220m - 2.93   Strange did 2.73x.  TWS 2.72x    Captain Marvel 2.78x

I will look at 4 day multi rather than 3 day considering it opened over 4 day weekend. Still it will have a good run but lack of summer weekdays will hurt its overall multi. Plus its hitting streaming in 45 days and so multis going forward wont be as good as before. 

• ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Is Chloe Zhao considered a great director? She's only got 3 movies under her belt before Eternals.... the audience score for those movies is 82% for Nomadland and The Rider and 64% for Songs my brother taught me. 

Coogler on the other hand has BP, Creed and Fruitvale station, all of which match the Critic score for Zhao's movies but even his lowest Audience score is a good bit higher..... I just don't get where the idea that she's a great director comes from.

depends if people need RT to justify how good a filmmaker is.  Since when are audience scores through the roof for anything but genre movies, by and large?

I love my franchise movies as much as anybody, but as a lover of film first and foremost … Nomadland is better than all Coogler’s movies put together. Just my opinion though. 

I’m expected an effort at a real work of art with Eternals. 

if you don’t think she’s a great director after watching Nomadland, then …again, it’s all subjective.  I’ve no issues with anybody’s opinions. I’m super hyped for Eternals because she’s making it.  

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think @baumer can take the cake being the most off for a movie BO. He predicted under 10m domestic for 1st hangover movie. :P

i believe statistically the Samson over Black Panther thread is the furthest someone here has ever been from a correct BO prediction.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

I mean if we're going by percentages, there's also this

oh yes i did forget about this one. considering it only grossed 0.003% of this he did miss the mark a bit here.

Edited by CoolioD1

29 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think @baumer can take the cake being the most off for a movie BO. He predicted under 10m domestic for 1st hangover movie. :P

I'd forgotten about that 🤣 that was a crazy summer and I will always miss not having those forums to revisit. Lots of memories sent to the deep.... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

for sure. Who made that prediction? Was that a serious prediction !!!! Baumer created a < 10m club for Hangover back in BOM 🙂

Hangover was probably the most costly success WB ever had.  Alan Horn LOATHED it and got tossed for being too old and out of touch.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Why is there no weekend thread yet

Because there aren't any numbers. Unless it's a major weekend thread with a massive film that will generate tons of discussion opening, there's no reason to get a weekend thread up before numbers drop. And since we didn't get any Thursday results and Deadline didn't do a Friday update (seriously, it's obnoxious how they're only doing this for big openers now), we can only wait until tomorrow morning when Friday results come in. Sorry!