Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

1 minute ago, vale900 said:

Numbers in Italy are not just good but great.

Without limitations and green pass it could have reach 10M. For a first chapter of a new franchise great numbers in Italy. 

By your ambitious level then yes, most films will perform greatly but not for a decade-defining movie such as this one. 

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Too bad China doesn't seem to give a shit about Dune based on presales. Again, a Villeneuve masterpiece gets ignored... :(

Sci-fi fantasy such as Dune was never a big card especially after seeing the film, the film isn't as action-intensive as typical Asian would expect from Hollywood, that is why Euro numbers become so much important. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Sci-fi fantasy such as Dune was never a big card especially after seeing the film, the film isn't as action-intensive as typical Asian would expect from Hollywood, that is why Euro numbers become so much important. 

The average John Doe doesn't have a clue how much action the movie has. And i feel like there's plenty of sci-fi / fantasy that does well there.

I believe there's no easy explanation. I guess it's fate... :whosad:

12 hours ago, Elessar said:

The average John Doe doesn't have a clue how much action the movie has. And i feel like there's plenty of sci-fi / fantasy that does well there.

I believe there's no easy explanation. I guess it's fate... :whosad:

This is the ""problem"" when you have overseas opening well ahead  domestic, many overseas territories relies on buzz or good will from the state to generate buzz, especially for some starter film like Dune.   

Patience young Padwan. China doesn't care today but might tomorrow. Never forget that F&F wasn't huge in China til F7 miracle. F&F6 made only 66M but F7 blew up to 390M. That's a jump and a half. So the market might not care for an unknown IP (by their standards) but could warm up to it by Part 2. It's a very unpredictable market. 

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Overall good numbers so far (at least IMO). It's this coming weekend where things get hard to predict. There are so many variables at play.

BR2049 grossed like $25m in the UK, right? I honestly have no idea if Dune will match that. What are presales looking like there? And how have HBO Max films been affected at the BO there so far?

Maybe about a $10m opening in China, which isn't all that surprising, though I guess a lot of people were hoping for more.

And of course, who knows what will happen in the US. My gut says $35m or somewhere around there, but I'd love for $40m.

3 hours ago, Starphanluke said:

Overall good numbers so far (at least IMO). It's this coming weekend where things get hard to predict. There are so many variables at play.

BR2049 grossed like $25m in the UK, right? I honestly have no idea if Dune will match that. What are presales looking like there? And how have HBO Max films been affected at the BO there so far?

Maybe about a $10m opening in China, which isn't all that surprising, though I guess a lot of people were hoping for more.

And of course, who knows what will happen in the US. My gut says $35m or somewhere around there, but I'd love for $40m.

I am disappointed by Japan number especially 1.8m is even lower than BR2049's 2.7m. I think Japan is the 1st major territory that Dune open lower than BR2049. HK, Taiwan and Japan number confirm that Dune will likely do half as much as Tenet in most Asia countries.

Yeah, so far, Dune boxoffice success seems Euro-centric. I wished it opened in Oz earlier but they have a wild situation over there so...

But any market counts so that's that. 10M in China (worst case scenario) is 10M added to the total. :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar

I'm glad that it has really fine legs in Germany :). Who would have thought that? So Germany should soon be the #2 market for this movie so far (it's still #3 here behind Bond and a new German family film this weekend).

I saw that Blade Runner had a 2M true weekend in Japan, maybe Dune had just less previews? However, if even Blade Runner managed it to have good legs there (10.5M total result) which was overall not the case, then I have high hopes for Dune. Does anybody know about the audience reactions in Japan?