Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

EDIT: with September releases contributing to excellent OW, here's the list of countries with release in October to keep an eye on next week:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/releaseinfo

South Korea October 2021  
New Zealand October 2021  
USA 7 October 2021 (New York Film Festival)
USA 13 October 2021 (Mill Valley Film Festival)
Portugal 14 October 2021  
Japan 15 October 2021  
USA 18 October 2021 (Chicago International Film Festival)
Argentina 21 October 2021  
Brazil 21 October 2021  
UK 21 October 2021  
Hungary 21 October 2021  
Ireland 21 October 2021  
Israel 21 October 2021  
Mexico 21 October 2021  
Slovakia 21 October 2021  
Bulgaria 22 October 2021  
Canada 22 October 2021  
China 22 October 2021  
Indonesia 22 October 2021  
India 22 October 2021  
Poland 22 October 2021  
Romania 22 October 2021  
Turkey 22 October 2021  
USA 22 October 2021  
Australia 2 December 2021

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Some info about presales from BOT posters

@vale900

Anyway as I said yesterday here in Italy the pre sales are really really solid, i have read on twitter same in Germany too.

I don't know about others european countries. 

From the actual previews I can say here it could beat the record for the best OW in the pandemic. Right now the record is at around 2-2.1 M for Black Widow. Surely It will beat Shang li which opened with 1.5 M. Previews are so much better than the last marvel movie. 

These are the 3 screenings in my theater for the first day (10 days before). And the first day is a Thursday!. 

E-nfVfUXMAE2NfO?format=png&name=small

E-ngCfAWUAcI83S?format=png&name=small

@Lucas

I can confirm it looks solid in Sweden too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

European like fantasy, just look at how massive LOTR, HP series, and SW. The fact the feel-like SW trailer should "trick" European coming out in mass

Good point. Also, book isn't unknown but at least sci fi fans will check it out for that reason, others cause it looks epic.

France pre-sales :

DUNE (previews) (D-2) - 883/2902 (+148 in one day) (5 theaters in the Paris area)

1.76x Shang-Chi OD D-2 sales - 172 000 admissions

DUNE (OD) (D-3) - 612/9347 (+112)

I've just started to track those theaters so SC is my only comp (and it had no previews), but it looks really good.

Edited by Parasite
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, Parasite said:

France pre-sales :

DUNE (previews) (D-2) - 883/2902 (+148 in one day) (5 theaters in the Paris area)

I've just started to track those theaters so SC is my only comp (and it had no previews), but it looks really good.

Great news! Thank you for tracking! Keep it up and report here! I'm on pins and needles. Want this to do well. 🙏

In non UK Europe, Shang Chi opened to $20M and will leg out to $77M Approx. 

TENET opened $31M, legging to $117M Approx.

Blade Runner 2049 opened $27M and leg out to $78M. I will be expecting similar numbers, adjusted for ER for Dune. 

Other than TENET, F9 did $122M in non-UK Europe. @lorddemaxus

Edit: Added Russia.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The movie's previews doing almost twice Shang-Chi's opening day seems insane. I'm wondering how much this movie could actually gross in Europe. Tenet Europe numbers (don't think any other pandemic film beat it in that region but would love it @charlie Jatinder could check) seems like a good target.

I hope it does do that but I don't know if we should put that much expectation off of the comps from a few theaters. We have seen in DOM tracking how films can skew to different regions. Not sure if it will be the case but I can see Dune skewing to big cities as I said in the Spain thread. 

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

I hope it does do that but I don't know if we should put that much expectation off of the comps from a few theaters. We have seen in DOM tracking how films can skew to different regions. Not sure if it will be the case but I can see Dune skewing to big cities as I said in the Spain thread. 

But I'm not sure why Dune would skew more towards big cities a lot more than a Marvel movie would.

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But I'm not sure why Dune would skew more towards big cities a lot more than a Marvel movie would.

I feel like a Villeneuve movie would skew more to film buffs in big cities in the USA. Not sure if the trends in Europe are different. That said Shang-Chi was Paris-heavy in France at least so maybe this won't be that much more so. 

Edited by Menor

9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

0 hype for Dune here in most parts of Asia...

Hope it does well in Europe.

WB releasing this 1 month ahead of US to prevent piracy; but i just don't see the hype here at all.

This doesn't surprise me cause IP is unknown in Asia. So it's really up to Europe and later Oz to pull the OS workload. Not sure about Latam.

Edited by Valonqar

23 hours ago, Parasite said:

France pre-sales :

Would be great if we can see how this is compared to Tenet .. But since tracking European isn't a very hot topic, I doubt the data will be there. Honestly, SC isn't that big in France to wow me, so I guess 1.76x of SC would mean some final total in the range of F9 or Tenet. 

15 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

0 hype for Dune here in most parts of Asia...

Hope it does well in Europe.

WB releasing this 1 month ahead of US to prevent piracy; but i just don't see the hype here at all.

Released here in Malaysia on 14 Oct,  the same day as FG, Halloween Kills and Escape room 2, To make thing worse, a week before was SC and the week after is F9 & AQP2. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Released here in Malaysia on 14 Oct,  the same day as FG, Halloween Kills and Escape room 2, To make thing worse, a week before was SC and the week after is F9 & AQP2. 

Pretty much all its competition will have already been out on digital by the time (while Dune would have another week). 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:17 PM, Parasite said:

France pre-sales :

DUNE (previews) (D-1) - 1063/2902 (+180)

1.43x Shang-Chi OD - 140k

DUNE (OD) (D-2) - 992/9347 (+380)

1.98x Shang Chi OD - 194k

For what it's worth, it has over 14 000 "want to see" on Allociné, which is about the same as F9 and BW. imo 200k OD + 100k previews is doable.

It's opening on 891 screens. Widest release since FB2/IW. 

Edited by Parasite
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 1