Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-opening-weekend-warner-bros-international-box-office-1234838181/

Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune is off to an epic start at the box office in France. The Denis Villeneuve-directed adaptation of Frank Herbert’s classic world-building 1965 novel grossed $1.55M in its first day on Wednesday (including Tuesday night previews). This is the market’s fourth best launch day of all time for the month of September.

The Wednesday haul also makes it the best Day One for Villeneuve ever in France. Total admissions were 181,316 — grosses were pumped up by overperforming premium formats. The first 2pm screenings in Paris on Wednesday set a new benchmark for the pandemic.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Elessar said:

That's about 7.30 EUR per ticket even though premium formats overperformed. It seems to me ticket are rather cheap in France?

extremly cheap. In Denmark its around 20 euro

Great start in Italy

419K euros.

This is the second best pandemic start for a foreign movie and the third overall.

Tenet made 404K but Tenet got 791 screens on first day, Dune only around 500 (in few hours i will say how much exactly).

Tenet made a 2M 4 day, i guess Dune should have a similar tracking with a more adult audience than shang chi and black widow on saturday and sunday.

4 days for BD 2049

This got 779 screens too (!). So everything seems good for Dune. The first day was of course more frontloaded than BD 2049 but it made a solid +52%. So in my opinion being september (and not august like for tenet) it can approach 2M+.

Foreign record is 2.015.000 for Black Widow (1.984.000 for Tenet)

An italian movie for children (me contro te) has the best opening overall but really near, 2.178.000 euros. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@IndustriousAngel

first estimates for Germany's weekend on insidekino.de have Dune safely in front with about 400k admissions until Sunday (should be a >300k OW, better than I expected - yeah!); #2 and 3 undecided between Shang-Chi (-40%) and PawPatrol (no drop from last weekend)

weather is definitely good for the movies, rainy and cool

Edited by Valonqar

@charlie Jatinder

Norway

Dune
WED - 11.9K

THU - 8.1K

Total - 20K

Good start. Will probably do 35-40K FSS for 55-60K weekend ($925-1.05M)

HUGE pre-sales in Denmark for Dune. 4225 seats sold on 42 sites for WED previews, mostly 1 show each site. 

I supposed 80-90K ($1.3-1.5M) weekend is possible.

Looks like strong Friday. $1.5M+ Russia possible. Inc CIS $1.75M+

Still thinking in Europe this as mature sci fi has an older audience waiting to go to see it on saturday and sunday. Here in italy BD 2049 went from a 334k friday to a 697K saturday. So i hope it can still go more near to the 40M. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Still thinking in Europe this has an older audience waiting to go to see it on saturday and sunday. Here in italy BD 2049 went from a 334k friday to a 697K saturday. So i hope it can still go more near to the 40M. 

I hope that will be the case but better lowball and then celebrate than the other way around. :)

15 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Still thinking in Europe this as mature sci fi has an older audience waiting to go to see it on saturday and sunday. Here in italy BD 2049 went from a 334k friday to a 697K saturday. So i hope it can still go more near to the 40M. 

definitely older ... I'm taking my father to Dune next week and I'm >50 myself :D

also, older audience means tickets get sold more evenly throughout the week whereas teenager movies usually have high weekend but low weekdays.

as to ticket prices, here it's about €7,00-7,50 for 2D and 10-11 for 3D on weekdays, while for weekend tickets you may add another 5€

• Like 3