Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

3 minutes ago, vale900 said:

After the numbers in Europe why are you people still so negative? I guarantee to you 90% of people going to watch this movie in Europe in this weekend didn't read the book.

My brother saw this yesterday with 2 friends on Imax 3d and he said to me the movie was so good and spectacular and similar to Star Wars but after the movie he discovered the book is from 1965. He didn't knew it was a book at all lol. And now he wants to read the book.

Speaking of this the book is right now #2 on Amazon here in Italy. In some way this means people want more of this story .. I guess. So the movie makes his job. 

This. It's doing great in Europe and it's got China date.  It's attracting non-book crowds too. Sequel can only blow up, not make less. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vale900 said:

After the numbers in Europe why are you people still so negative? I guarantee to you 90% of people going to watch this movie in Europe in this weekend didn't read the book.

My brother saw this yesterday with 2 friends on Imax 3d and he said to me the movie was so good and spectacular and similar to Star Wars but after the movie he discovered the book is from 1965. He didn't knew it was a book at all lol. And now he wants to read the book.

Speaking of this the book is right now #2 on Amazon here in Italy. In some way this means people want more of this story .. I guess. So the movie makes his job. 

Maybe the IP simply clicks better in Europe than the US. The director is French after all. Not to mention the movie's a theater exclusive in Europe, so that must have helped as well.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Maybe the IP simply clicks better in Europe than the US. The director is French after all. Not to mention the movie's a theater exclusive in Europe, so that must have helped as well.

How do you know whether it clicks better or worse in the US? The movie isn't even out yet in the US. And what does French director (he's French-Canadian BTW) has to do with success/failure? Might help with French movie buffs who are very small minority, but Italy, Germany, Russian, Spain, Nordics,etc couldn't care less.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The theater exclusive in Europe helps for sure but still numbers are bigger than expected ad you were talking about IP popularity.

No a sci fi book written by an american author which sold the 70% of its total copies in the Us is not more popular in Europe

11 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Bad Saturday number. Looks like Jat was right with the frontloading 

How if now his prediction is a little bit better than how he thought after the first day when he said 30M?

Edited by vale900
  • Thanks 1

I mean it's not that hard. The trailer is a big and spectacular with big numbers. The cast has Chalamet and Zendaya and they are big on the social network and upon kids and young audience. They have Momoa from Acquaman, Bardem, Oscar Isaacs. All togheter.

This just click with big audiences. People just want a new mature franchise and this is was well crafted and the casting is good.

It's doing about 50% better than BR2049 so far in markets it has opened in. If it continues to do that everywhere and like $100m in China it might hit $500m worldwide. Probably a long shot with Bond hitting it in two weeks and HBO Max marring its box office prospects domestically but one can at least still dream... ;)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Can someone give context to Asian run so far? We hear great things about Europian run but nothing about Asia although it opened in Taiwan, HK and Singapore. We have a Sat number for Taiwan 0.9M but I don't know if that's good, bad, mediocre?

Hong Kong numbers are slightly better than BR2049 while Taiwan are like +50% BR2049.

It seems like people are treating China release date as something out of normal or like it has become HIT there. HK numbers don't suggest any breakout Taiwan are good comparing with Shang Chi but the market hasn't been to full potential yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune has surpassed expectations, harvesting $36.8M at the international box office from just 24 markets in early release. The Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi epic was the top movie overseas this weekend, coming in with No. 1s in virtually all openings. In like–for-likes and at today’s rates, Dune is tracking 4% ahead of Tenet, 33% ahead of Black Widow, 52% ahead of Blade Runner 2049, 58% above Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings and 80% ahead of Godzilla Vs Kong.

IMAX delivered a fantastic $3.6M from 142 screens representing roughly 10% of the total weekend and a $25K per-screen average. Dune demolished pandemic-era box office records for the network in 10 markets including Russia, France, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Ukraine, as well as Hong Kong and Singapore.

Overall, this is a great result for the adaptation of Frank Herbert’s world-building 1965 classic novel — and this is only the beginning. Industry projections had Dune seeing a $20M+ launch. Ultimately, Russia and France were neck-and-neck as the best plays with the former debuting to $7.6M and the latter at $7.5M. Germany ($4.9M), Italy ($2.6M) and Spain ($2.2M) round out the Top 5.

Dune world premiered at the Venice Film Festival, before moving to Paris for a special event screening at the Grand Rex cinema, a showing at the Deauville American Film Festival and a berth at Toronto.

Dune hits Middle East markets on September 22 with Japan and some other Asian and EMEA markets on October 15, followed by Korea, the UK, some smaller Euro markets and all of Latin America during the October 20 frame — in line with domestic. Australia, given the state of cinema closures there, is currently dated December 2.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-opening-weekend-shang-chi-global-international-box-office-1234839288/

Edited by Felipe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 3