Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

also 8.7/10 on imdb even with just 1,7K votes is a very solid start.

because I don't think this has the kind of "i'm a fan so the movie is perfect" reactions from the first day audience of movies like 50 shades, harry potter etc.. Indeed they can be very demanding

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

https://www.screendaily.com/news/dune-off-to-flying-start-in-france-as-european-rollout-begins/5163334.article

At its first, closely monitored 9am screening at the UGC Ciné Cité des Halles multiplex in central Paris, it was the top-performing film with 148 tickets sold, followed by Stephane Brizé’s Venice competition title Another World with 63 spectators and Cannes Critics’ Week selection Anais In Love with 18.

By 2pm local time it had scored the highest opening of the year for greater Paris, another key box-office marker in France, drawing 4,465 spectators (for an estimated gross of $35,000) roughly on 33 screens, according to box office monitor CBO Box Office. 

It knocked Fast & Furious 9 off the top slot, which sold 3,022 tickets ($23,000) on 17 screens in the capital when it was released there on July 14. 

It remains to be seen whether Dune can overtake Fast & Furious 9’s nationwide, day-one performance, which saw it draw 468,862 spectators (for a gross of approximately $3.67m).

Comscore Movies France sent out a tweet on Tuesday that the feature had already moved to the top of the chart over the weekend, prior to its official release, on the basis of sold-out preview screenings across the country. 

It then launches on September 16 in Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Italy as well as Azerbaijan, Belarus, CIS, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine and the Asian territories of Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong. This will be followed by Austria, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania and Spain on September 17.

Warner Bros has also put together a major coordinated release in the Middle East where the film will hit screens on September 23 in Egypt, Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

What is considered previews? In Germany all shows on Wednesday are "previews". The regular opening day is Thursday.

The general practice is to consider just evening shows previews. Universal however with all their shitty accounting sometimes reports full week of run as previews, as they did for F9 in many markets, previews were bigger than opening weekend.

we're going from this gonna flop to disappointed even with  good numbers. 😄 It was frontloaded in the day of previews, the people maybe split in two days. This still doesn't mean it can't have good days in the weekend. The audience should be different from movies like fast and furious, which made almost half of the total on the first day.

Plus i guess word of mouth should be impactful. Let'see. 

Edited by vale900

Isn't this a new franchise- universe?. Isn't too early to talk about legs?. In my theater saturday pre sales are bigger than the OD. 

Joker here was really awaited by DC fans so it made 1M euros in the first day (a big debut here with definitely big pre sales numbers). Then it was also bigger after that and it made 30M in total. 

Infinity war made 3 M in the first day and then 18M in total.

How we can know?. This is something new, everything can happen. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, vale900 said:

How we can know?. This is something new, everything can happen. 

I suspect it'll be like Blade Runner 2049. I haven't seen Dune yet, but I've heard it's even slower somehow, so if it's true, I wouldn't expect LoTR run.

Edited by Firepower