Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

34 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

So about 5.5m. As always =)))))

Agreed. Like every weekend it will likely see an increase with actuals. Just under $270M with some gas in the tank and 3 markets yet to open. Hoping for an overperformance in Australia/NZ and $300M OS :shades:

On 11/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, von Kenni said:

I hope so, because correct if I'm wrong, but that's a 47% drop. Doesn't make sense where the drop comes from...

Unfortunately I'm not so sure about it. 

There are big drops in box office across all Europe due to soaring 4th wave of coronavirus epidemic and Europe is main source of OS income for Dune. 

7 hours ago, jma22 said:

Box office mojo: 267,2 M international total...  This is -1,7 M from estimates...

Australia must be massive if u want Dune +400M WW

7 hours ago, Merkel said:

The Numbers has the overseas gross at $268,870,572, which seems to be a far more precise number. So which one is correct?

It definitely isn't adjusted $1.7m down from $4.6m which already seems a low-bar estimate when looking individual markets.

The numbers is probably more up to date but what I would be more interested to know is how these adjust for currency exchange rates. When studios are exactly paid and how ER fluctuations can affect the overall cume.

I've also found inconsistencies when looking behind individual markets from these two & going to the actual country specific sources. Though I guess it's mostly a problem in small markets. Overall either of these aren't exact numbers but estimates, although I guess The Numbers should get its numbers straight from studios? but even then at least some of these challenges apply and it's still an estimate at this point.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 6:19 PM, von Kenni said:

Come to think of it, also having worked with Argentinians and experienced the local zeitgeist, I don't see why they couldn't enjoy and like Dune too. It's also hugely a marketing question, and I don't know how WB is able to target markets like Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, etc. separately. I.e. what kind of partners they have in LATAM. 

I can't talk about other LA countries, but fiction/futuristic movies (and even games) tend to do terribly bad in Brazil, I don't think that even without piracy/HBO Max release, the BO from Dune  would have changed a lot (we will have a final proof of that in Dune 2), even successful fiction films like Interstellar didn't do well here (Interstellar was out of the top 20 in a year with few big films that was 2014), even films in a genre that is very successful here (SH movies) like Guardians of the Galaxy had poor/mediocre results, Guardians 1 was just the 18th biggest movie of the year in 2014 and GOTG2 just the 12th biggest of 2017, also Star Wars movies got horrendous results here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

I can't talk about other LA countries, but fiction/futuristic movies (and even games) tend to do terribly bad in Brazil, I don't think that even without piracy/HBO Max release, the BO from Dune  would have changed a lot (we will have a final proof of that in Dune 2), even successful fiction films like Interstellar didn't do well here (Interstellar was out of the top 20 in a year with few big films that was 2014), even films in a genre that is very successful here (SH movies) like Guardians of the Galaxy had poor/mediocre results, Guardians 1 was just the 18th biggest movie of the year in 2014 and GOTG2 just the 12th biggest of 2017, also Star Wars movies got horrendous results here.

Yeah, never expecting any stellar performance there like what you said about Interstellar which is a good reference point. However, Dune has underperformed in Brazil in that sense that it has overperformed BR2049 in most of the LatAm markets like in Mexico doing 60-70% over it and now in Brazil 40-50% under (albeit ER being lousier than during BR2049). Brazil I don't much know first-hand culturally and only have an impression that it differs somewhat or much from Argentina and Mexico, but while BR2049 did $5.4m Dune Part 1 should have had potential to do 50-70% more but didn't do this time. If the ER isn't problematic Part 2 should have the potential to go for $10m+ based on BR2049 comp.

It would be interesting to see some lists of how some genre movies did in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina to see differences between these markets.

How much do the big blockbusters do in pre-pandemic times in Brazil and what genre they have been?

Sci-fi is not big in Mexico. There's several analyses about why, some related to a cultural preference for supernatural in entertainment, others to lack of local representation in the media, and others to those movies not being big-family friendly. You take your pick. "Light" sci-fi, specially space operas, fare better: highest grossing movie is The Force Awakens, about $28M, and it's not in the all-time Top 40 in lc.

Said that, sci-fi is popular, everyone is aware of the Star Wars and Treks and whatnot because of the proximity to US media. It's just not to the level of other genres.

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1

Looking at BOM breakdown by territory, Dune did great in US/CAN despite HBO MAX, it absolutely crushed in Europe/Russia, did better than expected in Asia save Japan (crushing disappointment that one) but flopped in LATAM (disinterest? pandemic? both?). 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt1160419/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

Edited by Valonqar