Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

On 9/13/2021 at 11:02 PM, Parasite said:

DUNE (previews) (D-1) - 1063/2902 (+180)

1.43x Shang-Chi OD - 140k

DUNE (OD) (D-2) - 992/9347 (+380)

1.98x Shang Chi OD - 194k

For what it's worth, it has over 14 000 "want to see" on Allociné, which is about the same as F9 and BW. imo 200k OD + 100k previews is doable.

It's opening on 891 screens. Widest release since FB2/IW. 

DUNE (OD) (D-1) - 1374/9347 (+382)

1.85x Shang-Chi - 182k admissions OD

• Like 4

Great to see it's blowing up in Europe. France and Russia are really coming all in. :bravo:

Stealing from Dune Thread:

""I haven't seen a movie theater so packed to the brim in years , even more in a movie theater that is usually uncrowded"(French tweet) - credit @vale900

E_RVdTSXoAci57i?format=jpg&name=small

The Denis Villeneuve-directed adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 classic will be playing in just 24 markets this weekend, beginning offshore rollout tomorrow. Of the majors going this session are France, Germany, Russia, Italy and Spain. Our industry sources are projecting a launch in the mid-$20M range. PLFs will play a large part; IMAX is on about 150 screens.

Pandemic era comps to consider for Dune include Black Widow, while Villeneuve’s 2017 Blade Runner 2049 is also worth noting given the film’s pedigree and history. In like-for-like markets, and at today’s rates, those films opened to $22.8M and $24.4M, respectively.

Anticipation is high for Dune in Europe — and there’s a fair bit of rain washing across the continent over the coming days which is music to distribution and exhibition’s ears. Then again, the long runtime will impact the number of showings. Because the film only hits HBO Max on October 22, in line with the domestic release, piracy may be less of a concern — at least in terms of pristine copies.

P.S. If @charlie Jatinder who didn't believe in Dune now thinks it could blow past Deadline projections with 35-40M OW in Europe than it really has potential to blow up. :cloud9:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Maybe this will have similar distorted box office ratio like Tenet, where domestic only contributed 16% of the total gross.

Could be, in case of TENET it was the fact that only 40% market was open while Dune will have HBO Max.

In last few days, I come to believe that without Max TSS would have opened $50M plus and done over $125M easily.

• Like 1

I get it that they want to release Dune early because of piracy but not all European countries are getting Dune early. Even UK is in one month. 

If it was a 1-2 weeks gap between European releases and rest of the world (not US) I could understand it but one month?

Anyways one more month wait for my country. ☹😫

15 minutes ago, Elessar said:

of course, minutes! lol

hmm shang chi is not doing that hot in europe as a C tier comic book film, is it? i expect dune to do better coz if not in europe, where else?

The number don't really mean much because its just one show and SC overperformed relatively in that theater.