MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I just rewatched The Prestige today for the first time in ages. I know it's sort of become the Jackie Brown of his filmography in that it's the hip film twitter thing to say "y'know secretly that's his best movie" but still can't really get into it. too goofy. jackman/johansson bad.

I've loved The Prestige since I saw it in college at the theater with my sister. I just remember the shots of Colorado were gorgeous on the big screen. Really enjoyed the acting from Caine, Bale, Jackman, Bowie, and Serkis. I really dig that time period, and they did a great job with the set design, etc. 

David Julyan's music isn't the catchiest thing in the world, but it seems to work pretty good in all of his movies with Nolan. I kind of miss Julyan's more laid back music compared to the more bombastic scores from Zimmer & Göransson in Nolan's later movies. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

I think likely Noms are these in order of win likelihood based on my personal experience watching the movie-

Sound: Very Strong

Editing: Strong (vs Dune)

Score: Strong (vs Dune)

Cinematography: Strong (vs Dune)

Supporting Actor: Strong 

Director: Strong

Actor: Strong 

Picture: Long shot

Adapted Screenplay: Not Winning (vs Flower Moon)

Maybe noms-

Supporting Actress for Emily Blunt

Production Design

probably 8-10 noms but no idea about wins

Disagree about Win being a long shot. After EEAAO, they will likely go with a totally different movie and critics are already calling it "the most important movie of the year", I get that some expect KOTFM to win but these reviews sound stronger than what KOTFM got in Cannes. And this si from someone who;s rooting for Barbie or DUNC II.

Also, how a movie with Strong Editing, Director and Acting potential can be a long shot in Picture? That's Top 2.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Disagree about Win being a long shot. After EEAAO, they will likely go with a totally different movie and critics are already calling it "the most important movie of the year", I get that some expect KOTFM to win but these reviews sound stronger than what KOTFM got in Cannes. And this si from someone who;s rooting for Barbie or DUNE II.

Also, how a movie with Strong Editing, Director and Acting potential can be a long shot in Picture? That's Top 2.

I think Hell freezes before Nolan ever wins Best Picture or Best Director. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I mean Oppenheimer would have probably been his best chance. It just sucks for him that THE MEG 2 releases the same years. Theres just no winning against that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This year has a number of great established directors who never won with great movies - Nolan, Gerwig, Villeneuve - so please AMPAS this is not a year to award another newcomer. Not this time.Nothing against newcomers but really absolutely not this time.

9 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Nolan is still quite young (in director years) so plenty more to go if Oppenheimer doesn't get at least a Best Picture nomination. Though still I wish The Dark Knight would've gotten it.

Oppenheimer is totally getting a Picture nom. So is Barbie.

In no particular order:

Barbie

Oppenheimer

Killers of the Flower Moon

7 to go. Hopefully DUNC II is among them too.

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Oppenheimer is totally getting a Picture nom. So is Barbie.

In no particular order:

Barbie

Oppenheimer

Killers of the Flower Moon

7 to go. Hopefully DUNC II is among them too.

Right. I forgot it's 10 now lol.