MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

In regards to the Oscars race, this is shaping up to be the most exciting season in eons.

Oppenheimer looks to be nominated broadly across the creative and technical categories. Barbie is a lock for best picture nomination as well, and numerous others. ATSV should be a best picture nom IMO, I doubt it will be, but it's a damn masterpiece of storytelling and animation. Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon should both be strong players. Dune 2 could be another Denis Villeneuve masterpiece. There's a handful of brilliant indie films (Margaret, Past Lives) that deserve recognition.

Whereas this time last year I was already 100% on board with EEAAO's inevitable widespread victory.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty amazing that Spielberg was able to juggle both Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List at the same time. That’s some GOAT multi-tasking. 

Spielberg actually went off to do Schindler's List during post production of JP and asked George Lucas to supervise on his behalf. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty amazing that Spielberg was able to juggle both Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List at the same time. That’s some GOAT multi-tasking. 

He did it...several times.

LOST WORLD, AMISTAD, and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN opened with 14 months of each other.

MINORITY REPORT and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

WAR OF DA WORLDS and MUNICH

GOAT

• Like 1

Yeah, as awesome as Nolan can be, The Berg could fucking pop out bangers left and right like it was nothing.

Obviously it has to do with being involved with every step of the process starting with writing the script and that's great, but it limits overall output to once every few years.  

Spielberg getting a script and flipping it into literal art within a year is nothing short of a miracle.  

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, excel1 said:

He did it...several times.

LOST WORLD, AMISTAD, and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN opened with 14 months of each other.

MINORITY REPORT and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

WAR OF DA WORLDS and MUNICH

GOAT

truly the GOAT, and let's not forget A.I. was the year before the Minority Report/Catch Me If You Can double release.

EDIT: West Side Story was delayed a year but it's still insane to see that have its first screening in November 2021 and then The Fabelmans shows up at TIFF in September 2022.

Edited by Lucas

18 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

In regards to the Oscars race, this is shaping up to be the most exciting season in eons.

Oppenheimer looks to be nominated broadly across the creative and technical categories. Barbie is a lock for best picture nomination as well, and numerous others. ATSV should be a best picture nom IMO, I doubt it will be, but it's a damn masterpiece of storytelling and animation. Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon should both be strong players. Dune 2 could be another Denis Villeneuve masterpiece. There's a handful of brilliant indie films (Margaret, Past Lives) that deserve recognition.

Whereas this time last year I was already 100% on board with EEAAO's inevitable widespread victory.

This could be the first year since 2018 we get three 200M+ Domestic grossing BP nominees if Spider-Verse gets in and I wouldn't rule it out yet. Might be a stretch but I wouldn't rule out Dune doing 200M yet either I think it will be significantly bigger than part 1. Wonka is my dark horse too. Killers of the Flower Moon is a lock for a nomination and if everything hits I can see smaller movies struggling a bit. Zone of Interest has pretty undeniable reviews and subject matter and in any other year I'd be sure about it but no so much this year. Same with Past Lives. If The Colour Purple, Saltburn and Maestro all live up to the hype it's going to be a bloodbath. 

22 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

This could be the first year since 2018 we get three 200M+ Domestic grossing BP nominees if Spider-Verse gets in and I wouldn't rule it out yet. Might be a stretch but I wouldn't rule out Dune doing 200M yet either I think it will be significantly bigger than part 1. Wonka is my dark horse too. Killers of the Flower Moon is a lock for a nomination and if everything hits I can see smaller movies struggling a bit. Zone of Interest has pretty undeniable reviews and subject matter and in any other year I'd be sure about it but no so much this year. Same with Past Lives. If The Colour Purple, Saltburn and Maestro all live up to the hype it's going to be a bloodbath. 

I think past lives gets in any way and maestro just don't feel like a nom is coming its way tbh

Edited by Bobzaruni

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Barbie... Oppenheimer... Dune Part 2... AtSV... Could all be 200M+ DOM earners nominated for Best Picture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, as awesome as Nolan can be, The Berg could fucking pop out bangers left and right like it was nothing.

Obviously it has to do with being involved with every step of the process starting with writing the script and that's great, but it limits overall output to once every few years.  

Spielberg getting a script and flipping it into literal art within a year is nothing short of a miracle.  

I still think making War of the Worlds as quickly as he did is his most impressive achievement, to me. Just insane. It released 7 months after it started shooting!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Barbie... Oppenheimer... Dune Part 2... AtSV... Could all be 200M+ DOM earners nominated for Best Picture.

Add there Sound of Freedom (no chance in hell I guess) and a couple indies and it would be the most interesting and diverse bunch of nominees in a long time.

For me it took a while for it to get going but once it did I was fully engrossed and the last hour maybe the best thing Nolan has done. Everyone has mentioned Cillian Murphy and RDJ but I also wanna say I very much enjoyed Jason Clarke in his role in the film. I do have to say I did find maybe 10% of the dialogue hard to hear unfortunately but at least it wasn't as bad as Dunkirk or Tenet.

Can't wait to rewatch this in IMAX.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Add there Sound of Freedom (no chance in hell I guess) and a couple indies and it would be the most interesting and diverse bunch of nominees in a long time.

Don't forget foreign movie (s). Anathomy of a Fall and/or Past Lives have a good shot. Every year now has at least 1 foreign language movie among picture nominees. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Okay, I plead for dual custody of Papa Nolan:

First he does his 007 trilogy. Then he does his Star Wars trilogy. Deal? Deal.

I'd rather he continue to pay homage to Bond in original projects.

• Like 1