MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Just finished it. General thoughts: 

1. The photography is gorgeous. I won’t be shocked if this wins Best Cinematography at the Oscars. Kudos to my local Regal for providing a great visual experience in the RPX format.  

2. This is definitely the best cast of actors in Nolan’s career. So many recognizable actors giving top notch performances. 

3. Cillian Murphy’s eyes are incredible, especially filmed with extremely high resolution cameras. Amazing performance from him. 

4. You can definitely tell that Nolan has a lot of sympathy for how Oppenheimer was mistreated by the American government. I am sure he is glad to put this movie out to a pretty big audience and shine a light on this somewhat ugly aspect of our history. 

5. I have no clue how this movie will play with general audiences. It’s definitely not a summer popcorn movie. I could see it having very short legs if people get bored with 3 hours of no action. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Here goes start the Oscar campaign for Nolan

Sometimes when I see Heath's Joker's footage I still wonder what could've been for TDKR or maybe even future Nolan movies. Based on Joker's performance alone Nolan would probably put him on his list of go-to actors.

• Like 1

Watched it for the second time and gather my final thoughts:

My only complaints are in the scenes from after the starting sequence till Los Alamos (40 mins~), and how it feels like an acted montage of Oppenheimer's life prior. Not a deal breaker however at all given how good the rest is.

Other than that I loved every bit of the movie. Florence Pugh's character is a bit underdeveloped despite being very well acted but every other character, across the board, was very good and acted excellently — Damon, Blunt, Cilian and RDJ. Blunt particularly stole the scene entirely in a particular sequence.

One of the best sound designs I've ever witnessed in a theatre. it literally felt like I was there (also, no issues with mixing here). The visualizations of the scientific concepts were brilliant too.

It also depicted American governmental sentiment at the time with the Red Scare stuff and the political landscape it painted. I also loved how it ended. 

A middling first act followed by 2 absolutely sublime acts and multiple excellent sequences.

A- (4/5)

25 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The movie has been advertised as a "thriller" but if its that slow...

It's not slow. For perspective, I checked the clock on my phone 3 times during Mission Impossible the other day. I checked the clock on my phone exactly 0 times this morning with Oppenheimer. Both movies are very long, but the one with a bunch of action sequences actually had me more curious about how much time was left to finish it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I'm reading all of these posts on other sites about the 70mm IMAX projector overheating in multiple locations (including the one I've booked my ticket for!!!!). I hope it's fixed by then. I feel bad for the folks who waited hours yesterday only to be refunded, or told to watch it in another format.

I am beginning to wonder if IMAX projectors are simply not designed to show three hour movies and that is the cause of the  overheating.

This is like AVATAR 2 late last year, when multiple theaters had technical difficulties showing the movie on variable frame rate 3D (24fps/48fps) , and caused the delay to start the movie. 

And now 70mm film is the new victim of these unpreparedness. They had months and months to prepare the 70mm event of the decade but they screwed up as if Oppenheimer is only dated last weeks.  

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is like AVATAR 2 late last year, when multiple theaters had technical difficulties showing the movie on variable frame rate 3D (24fps/48fps) , and caused the delay to start the movie. 

And now 70mm film is the new victim of these unpreparedness. They had months and months to prepare the 70mm event of the decade but they screwed up as if Oppenheimer is only dated last weeks.  

It it just IMAX that is having problems?

I really have to wondre if the overheating problem is that IMAX projectors were not designed  to run that long without a "rest" to cool off.

28 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's not slow. For perspective, I checked the clock on my phone 3 times during Mission Impossible the other day. I checked the clock on my phone exactly 0 times this morning with Oppenheimer. Both movies are very long, but the one with a bunch of action sequences actually had me more curious about how much time was left to finish it. 

For some people nowdays,if a film goes ten minutes without some  action scene of other form of eye candy it's slow.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I have not seen any marketing that sells it as a thriller.

The trailer in front of Mission Impossible the other day focused heavily on the nuke test, even though it's a small part of the movie. It also says "From the Director of TDK Trilogy and Tenet" instead of mentioning drama type movies that might have more in common with Oppenheimer, such as Memento or The Prestige or Insomnia. 

43 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The trailer in front of Mission Impossible the other day focused heavily on the nuke test, even though it's a small part of the movie. It also says "From the Director of TDK Trilogy and Tenet" instead of mentioning drama type movies that might have more in common with Oppenheimer, such as Memento or The Prestige or Insomnia. 

I have seen that trailer, but I don't see it as selling it as a aciton  movie.

And as for "From the Drector of " TDK trilogy was a lot more popular then the 3 you mentioned. Of course you mention the more popular movies a director had made. Marketing 101.

I still think neither of these is trying to sell Oppenheimer as a action movie/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I have seen that trailer, but I don't see it as selling it as a aciton  movie.

And as for "From the Drector of " TDK trilogy was a lot more popular then the 3 you mentioned. Of course you mention the more popular movies a director had made. Marketing 101.

I still think neither of these is trying to sell Oppenheimer as a action movie/

I thought it was funny they mentioned Tenet but not Inception or Interstellar...or even Dunkirk given the WW2 connection for Oppenheimer & Dunkirk. I suspect Nolan really wanted Tenet to be mentioned in the marketing, lol

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

5. I have no clue how this movie will play with general audiences. It’s definitely not a summer popcorn movie. I could see it having very short legs if people get bored with 3 hours of no action. 

Yeah, there's no action, but it has pretty fast pace, sometimes very similar to Social Network.