MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 minute ago, DK000 said:

what? Lol it’s guaranteed at least a 75m weekend at this point with potential for even more. 200m minimum is a lock at this point

It's still early. We don't know how the numbers will turn out on Saturday. It's potentially gonna have some frontloading in both the weekend and the rest of the run. I would love to be completely wrong about that. But I prefer to be conservative until we get more numbers in the door over the next 10 days or so before I start to feel good about the chances of going over $200 million total. 

18 hours ago, cannastop said:

x0LkXsx.png

Well first Regina Saskatchewan and now Tempe Arizona.

They have months to prepare but they still screw up. If these people were the one in Manhattan Project, Japan would win WW2 and Soviet Union would win Cold war.

There are only 30 70mm IMAX screen and now down to 28. 

And two people who will make a lot of money indirectly from the film are the two authors who wrote the book "American Prometheus" which it the primary souce for the movie. It was published back in 2006, but has now jumped to near the top of the best seller lists.

• Like 2

This was so close to perfect but RDJ and Pugh character are extremely underdeveloped and basically worthless to the plot. The 2 items justifying the kangaroo court and senate hearing scenes are comically weak, I cant believe this wasn't handled at the script stage. The last 40 minutes really drags as a result.  

But the first 2 hours + - everything through the Truman scene - is just about flawless. So much momentum. 

Edited by excel1

34 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I think the opposite sort of, it starts slow and really builds to the end. 

I wasn’t really sure what to make of the fast editing and whatnot in the early part of the movie. Didn’t help that I only had 2-3 hours of sleep the night before seeing the movie. Around the time Matt Damon shows up, I was able to focus more and enjoyed the rest of the movie to the end. 

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This was so close to perfect but RDJ and Pugh character are extremely underdeveloped and basically worthless to the plot. The 2 items justifying the kangaroo court and senate hearing scenes are comically weak, I cant believe this wasn't handled at the script stage. The last 40 minutes really drags as a result.  

But the first 2 hours + - everything through the Truman scene - is just about flawless. So much momentum. 

they weren't undeveloped. they showed as much as they were evident in Oppenheimer's life. Remember this is shown from his perspective mostly and very little is shown from the other perspective (the government).. His level of depth is the same as that of who was played by Rami Malek or Josh Hartnett. Also Pugh character was in very small parts of Oppenheimer's life and it showed as such

Edited by hasanahmad

33 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The 2 items justifying the kangaroo court and senate hearing scenes are comically weak, I cant believe this wasn't handled at the script stage. The last 40 minutes really drags as a result.  

I think it was the best part of the movie. And RDJ character just blossoms in these last 40 minutes.

Paul Schrader was right. People have compared this to JFK, The Social Network, The Wind Rises, etc but I think this goes beyond those by being a movie about how humanity as a whole fucked itself. Quite easily the bleakest studio film to release in a long, long time.

Almost sure Nolan was influenced by Davies's Benediction here. Just that opening montage reminded me so much of the way Davies captured Sassoon's headspace (and similarly made my jaw drop).

• Like 1

Also, this film solidifies Jennifer Lame as one of the greatest editors ever. An entire movie that's just a montage. Unbelievable stuff. For Nolan himself, I thought Dunkirk and Tenet were his peak. But nah, they were just experiments. This is the beginning of something else for him.