MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

8 hours ago, eeetooki said:

It applies to Canadian IMAX too? I thought it only applies to the US. Then I will try to catch the last day when presales open.

I have been pretty busy for the past 7 years or so that I barely watch movies in the theatres anymore. I usually catch them up on the plane because I have been flying over 15+ times per month. Nolan's movies are the only ones that I never missed, even during COVID. Really hoping I won't miss watching it on IMAX.

Should be noted that the last couple weeks of August are usually dead zones so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the 15/70mm IMAX's at least add a couple showings of Oppenheimer, even past its agreed date.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Should be noted that the last couple weeks of August are usually dead zones so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the 15/70mm IMAX's at least add a couple showings of Oppenheimer, even past its agreed date.

Great to know! I will keep a watch on the IMAX schedule near me closely so I can go to one of the last showings!

13 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

And better chances for an Oscar...

Everyone acts like this is a consideration for Nolan but it isn’t. He doesn’t care about the Oscars. He just wants his movies to be seen by as many people as possible. You might feel it’s different for a biopic but it really isn’t a factor for him.

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Next to the absolute onslaught of barbie it’s almost impressive how little this has bothered with a promotional drive. It’s like they thought ‘oh, the ironic internet wants to do our job for us? Go ahead!’

Can you imagine how abysmal the marketing would be if it wasn't released at the same time as MI7 and Barbie lol I know Nolan doesn't like to hype up things but I really wish they did more promo.

5 hours ago, eeetooki said:

Can you imagine how abysmal the marketing would be if it wasn't released at the same time as MI7 and Barbie lol I know Nolan doesn't like to hype up things but I really wish they did more promo.

Is the lack of intense promo typical for a Nolan film? I'm not really familliar with his stuff beyond the Batman trilogy and Inception, but I really want to see Oppenheimer. Besides the trailer and a few commericals, I haven't seen much promotion for this, especially compared to Barbie, but idk if this is typical for a R-rated project and/or how Nolan usually works? 

Considering presales for this started before Barbie and started quite well that promotion for this is not an issue. It has had multiple trailers and now tv spots. Its presales are well ahead of Indy 5 and pace at this point is also way better. This was never meant to be a uber blockbuster and so its doing great for the genre. It will not be just an OW wonder as well.  All Nolan movies have had good runs. 

• Like 3

I'm also a bit baffled as to how one would expect marketing to go for a 3 hour R rated dramatic biopic.

They have done a ton of TV spots as far as I have understood - which helps with the intended older audience. Nolan name sells the project to younger audiences that are fans and it's difficult to have any other type of online promotion for this type of project, I think.

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm also a bit baffled as to how one would expect marketing to go for a 3 hour R rated dramatic biopic.

They have done a ton of TV spots as far as I have understood - which helps with the intended older audience. Nolan name sells the project to younger audiences that are fans and it's difficult to have any other type of online promotion for this type of project, I think.

clearly we should have gotten lewis strauss dolls, oppenheimer flavored ice cream and communist themed play stations

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I agree with this, athough I think they could have maybe done more social media stuff, but to be fair, I'm not sure what exactly, as memes or similar wouldn't be appropriate. However, I'm neither "older audience" nor a "Nolan fan" per se, but I'm interested in the subject matter. I read Oppenheimer's biography and love history. I saw a TikTok video about this, a "WWII movie that's not a war movie" and some of my friends (a mix of millenials and Gen Zs) want to see it because of the bomb, the cast, or because we don't get these kind of dramas anymore on the big screen, so it'll be fun to do this along with Barbie. We've tried to tell others about the movie, especially our friends who don't have traditional TV so don't see commericials.  

Anyway, it's probably only a small niche of people, but I do think there's maybe an audinece outside of older people/Nolan fans who might go if there was more awareness, but realistically, I don't know if more marketing toward them would be worth it, as I don't know how big that group is. 

1 minute ago, Hildagarde25 said:

I agree with this, athough I think they could have maybe done more social media stuff, but to be fair, I'm not sure what exactly, as memes or similar wouldn't be appropriate. However, I'm neither "older audience" nor a "Nolan fan" per se, but I'm interested in the subject matter. I read Oppenheimer's biography and love history. I saw a TikTok video about this, a "WWII movie that's not a war movie" and some of my friends (a mix of millenials and Gen Zs) want to see it because of the bomb, the cast, or because we don't get these kind of dramas anymore on the big screen, so it'll be fun to do this along with Barbie. We've tried to tell others about the movie, especially our friends who don't have traditional TV so don't see commericials.  

Anyway, it's probably only a small niche of people, but I do think there's maybe an audinece outside of older people/Nolan fans who might go if there was more awareness, but realistically, I don't know if more marketing toward them would be worth it, as I don't know how big that group is. 

The cross-promo from Barbie and just general buzz probably helps spread the awareness towards them. I don't think it's not worth reaching them, but it's just very difficult to get 4-quad awareness on the level of a CBM for this type of project without completely crossing into potentially going into false advertising. I think 40-50 OW and 120-150 DOM finish is more than enough for this especially if it ends up a major awards contender. It would be a fantastic start to the Nolan-Universal collaboration. For that, I think the marketing has been OK.