MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Barbenheimer has helped it a lot though (and also Barbie to a lesser extent). Don't see it performing like this if it were releasing without Barb. 

Not sure about that. Oppenheimer has a pretty limited screen count. Barbie is a big reason for those screen count limits. 

Yeah, I still can’t really decide if I think Barbenheimer helps this much. I think it’s way more likely the other way around, bc I think the movie buffs/Nolan fanboy types that were already gonna go see this are far more likely to get pulled into seeing Barbie as well next weekend.

Versus lots of more casual/young audiences who will turn out for Barbie that I don’t think could be paid to see a 3hr historical drama like this. If this breaks out, I think it will be more due to rave reviews. 

21 hours ago, Lucas said:

Large chunks of the movie operates like a neverending montage which often works really well for Nolan's intentions but can also leave you wishing certain scenes and characters had more room to breathe.

Saw a bunch of people say this on letterboxd and has me pretty excited for what Nolan does here in terms of the editing.

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Do you smell Oscar out of Oppenheimer?

Definitely set for a sound win right now (Sound Editing if they still had both categories), and it will challenge in numerous other categories.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Definitely set for a sound win right now (Sound Editing if they still had both categories), and it will challenge in numerous other categories.

From the look of it, Oppenheimer is looking to challenge in at least 10 categories.

1. Best Picture

2. Best Director

3. Best Adapted screenplay

4. Best Actor

5. Best Supporting actor

6. Best Cinematography

7. Best Production Design 

8. Best Editing

9. Best Sound

10. Best Original Score

• Like 2

Following is currently on the sky arts channel in the uk. It’s an intriguing first effort but production value-wise it makes Memento look like a 200m superhero movie. Interestingly the antagonist is called Cobb. 

Edited by Hatebox

I think this might become Nolan's leggiest film. It's going to have a decent OW due to the Barbenheimer craze, then it's going to have monster legs once the WoM spreads and the Oscar buzz builds. Strong acting carries a lot of weight and by the sounds of it best actor, best supporting actor and best ensembe SAG is locked, this is going to be a major player in the awards circuit unlike previous Nolan films. I agree that 10 noms are looking very likely. 100% IMAX, it's going to be an experience like no other this year. Can't wait to see it in 70mm IMAX. This will further cement Nolan's legendary status .

• Like 1

the more i see the review and review video, the more i'm convinced this movies will translate well for nolan fans and people who generally like nolan movies casually but not his fans, rewatchable seems high for those group at least better than his last 2 movies.

the downside though is the one that double feature with this movie with barbie, probably around 10-20% audience of opening weekend might find this boring with first 2 act or the duration too long.

the most important group the general audience probably will like this much more than tenet and score higher than dunkirk for them.

so i think 70m OW and 3.25x multiplier for 227m total is my guess for now a bit lower multiplier spectrum for nolan movies.

I’m impressed with Oppenheimer, unless the final week ended up being soft (which is possible), i think this can be a career best for Nolan with ~65M 

Barbie does have a good shot in being the biggest OW ever for Warner, let’s see if lack of premium screens can hurt it

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m impressed with Oppenheimer, unless the final week ended up being soft (which is possible), i think this can be a career best for Nolan with ~65M 

Highest non-Batman opening, but the fact that Oppenheimer could out-open Inception is wild to think about. Can only imagine how Tenet would have done if he went full-Top Gun Maverick and waited it out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Highest non-Batman opening, but the fact that Oppenheimer could out-open Inception is wild to think about. Can only imagine how Tenet would have done if he went full-Top Gun Maverick and waited it out

Tbf a good chunk of the opening is due to sharing the same weekend as Barbie. Crazy how that worked out so well for both

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Out of likes. 

But yeah i think it would be big, i find the 300M OS numbers one of the most impressive runs post pandemic. The movie have shitty releases everywhere and it did great.

If they’ll just waited more i think it would be an easily +600M grosser. 

And yes, career best without Batman. Very happy with the sales for both Barbie and Oppenheimer, really no signs on sales of them hurting each other, quite the opposite. Nolan certainly will get some million because of Barbie but the memes interlinked with Oppenheimer certainly helped Barbie as well, really an amazing case of organic interest.

• Like 1

the fact oppenhaimer is going to the 60-65M range and best not batman debut of his career with a rated R 3 hours movie just shows how big is in the culture right now all these Barbeinemer thing and also how Barbie will skyrocket. 

Edited by vale9001