MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

On 9/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, CoolioD1 said:

honestly pretty rude that we found out what the movie was about straight away and we couldn't get in the traditional 20 pages of hacky material (dead wives etc) joking about what this could be.

Throughout the development of the atomic bomb, Oppenheimer was under investigation by both the FBI and the Manhattan Project's internal security arm for his past left-wing associations. He was followed by Army security agents during a trip to California in June 1943 to visit his former girlfriend, Jean Tatlock, who was suffering from depression. Oppenheimer spent the night in her apartment.[86]Tatlock committed suicide on January 4, 1944, which left Oppenheimer deeply grieved.[

You cannot escape this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This was inevitable. Universal has great marketing machine in international markets. Will this be ready for next holidays? They can even have limited release and expand in January approach though with Nolan, its most likely a big release. 

Nolan could work efficiently enough to get this out by Fall 2022. The early 2022 start date is earlier than when he usually films, which usually is around a Summer start date.

Edited by MrPink

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If Nolan wanted to ensure a pure theatrical release, I’m not sure why he went with Universal.

Well supposedly Universal wanted to go day and date w/ Candyman but Jordan Peele said no, so unlike WB they actually listen when the big name filmmakers say they want theatrical exclusivity.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Should have chosen Sony just to be sure. No streaming service for them.

They don't have the same kind of relationships with IMAX I guess. Sony has worked with folks like Tarantino, but for a budget of this scale, Universal is probably the better distributor.

Nonetheless, I guarantee Nolan has an ironclad clause that this gets like a 60-day theatrical window and Universal was willing to meet that price for the chance at securing the future first look deal.

• Like 1

The Manhattan Project is a story that has been begging for a major adaptation for years and has fascinating potential as a big budget project, but I worry Nolan is going to try to challenge himself too much from the filmmaking technique perspective rather than actually examining themes that this movie deserves. Though given the themes of The Dark Knight trilogy, perhaps that's a good thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Well supposedly Universal wanted to go day and date w/ Candyman but Jordan Peele said no, so unlike WB they actually listen when the big name filmmakers say they want theatrical exclusivity.

Well alright then. I guess this means his 20 year partnership with WB is officially over. Oh well, at least WB still has…J.J. Abrams

I also remember a while back in one of those articles about how the pandemic altered the cinematic landscape it was revealed that Universal actually asked Judd Apatow if he wanted them to push The King of Staten Island back a year and he told them "no, just stream it" so clearly the studio listens to their talent's requests.

Was fully expecting Sony to get this personally after they've made a comeback in recent years with projects from big name filmmakers like Tarantino and don't have a streaming service (WB was probably out of the question between the HBO Max fallout plus possible bad blood between them from Tenet's release) but this is a pretty huge deal for Universal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

You cannot escape this.

There's theories the suicide was staged and really a murder because of her relationship with Oppenheimer (she had deep involvement with the US  Communist Party, causing issues with his security clearance on the Manhattan Project). Oppenheimer was married to someone else and warned to end it with Tatlock. He was devastated by her death and the "Trinity" codename for the first nuclear test is widely thought to be an reference to her. Other depictions of the Manhattan Project have included Tatlock, so I hope Nolan doesn't exclude her because some people will accuse him of making up a "dead wife" story here, even if that's the actual history. But Nolan seems to do what he wants.

Oppenheimer's actual wife worked as a biologist as part of the Manhattan Project so she could be included as a character (and she outlived him). The Wikipedia section on his private life is a lot more interesting than I was expecting, but I don't expect Nolan to portray much of the messiness, even if it's on topic here that's not exactly his comfort zone.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/christopher-nolan-universal-deal-1235064461/

Cliffs:

Late 2023 or 2024 release date

Nolan wanted a 90-120 day window. The final window isn't known, but it's not Uni's standard 17/31 days.

Nolan has final cut.

Nolan has a backend deal.

Universal is under a 3 week blackout period like WB was and can't schedule other films close to this.

The subject matter wasn't commercial enough for some other studios.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:22 AM, MrPink said:

I'm glad a Nolan thread is finally MINE.

Fuck you Neo, and whoever opened the Tenet/Dunkirk threads. 

@Neo was the one with the Rocket Raccoon mugshot who did a bunch of OTs for various movies a while ago, right? What happened to them? Their account's been dead since May of 2015.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester