MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

18 hours ago, JustLurking said:

What pudding lmao

Oppenheimer's early IMAX presales being so strong is quite literally proof of Nolan's draw unless you think people are rushing to buy tickets because they are big cillian murphy fans or history goons

come on now

I am a History Goon, and there might be more of us then you think........

Certainly more then Cillian Murphy fans.

BUt glad to see the film might do well. I give Nolan a lot of credit for being one of the few name directors who really wants to do Historiacl Dramas.

Edited by dudalb

13 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would not even call it midway. Theatres barely opened. 2 biggest markets New York and California were shutdown. Also there were others(not sure about Canada). Tenet was the 1st big movie that year. 

I'm just saying its roughly Midway between March when theaters closed and April when they mostly opened. 

Obviously I'm not saying they were Midway opened when tenet came out. 

Edited by Sophie

Earlier in the thread i said i could see this making like 120-130mil US, and around 250-300mil WW.

That was before the R rating though, although with the subject matter i can see that the majority of people wanting to see this film will be adults anyway, so yeah i'll stick with my orig predicition.

• Thanks 1

Oppenheimer is going to have hella IMAX time.

I think a lot of the 1570 IMAX venues will keep on showing Oppenheimer even after Blue Beetle comes around.

And then there's the inevitable December re-release.

Not to mention how absolutely dead January 2024 is.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:06 PM, MovieMan89 said:

A nearly 3.5hr adult R rated big budget historical character drama… what could possibly go wrong! This is sounding more and more like a box office bomb of atomic proportions. 

I think emot-nolan.gif is one of those filmmakers with enough hardcore loyalists to keep it from performing like Last Duel 2.0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Earlier in the thread i said i could see this making like 120-130mil US, and around 250-300mil WW.

That was before the R rating though, although with the subject matter i can see that the majority of people wanting to see this film will be adults anyway, so yeah i'll stick with my orig predicition.

I’m keeping an eye out for what the R rating will translate to in other markets like the UK and Australia, since it’s actually such a broad category. The likes of Wolf of Wall Street and Babylon were given an 18 rating, but this I expect to be given a 15, which wouldn’t particularly harm the film’s prospects. 

Any sexually explicit scenes will likely just get censored before release in countries like India, where I expect this movie to do very well.

• Like 1

I don't think I've EVER been so out of step with a movie as I am with Barbie. Like, I have zero interest and see nothing attractive about it, and its online hype is puzzling to me. But at the same time, the hype is soooooo big that I think it CAN'T just be a meme, and it will actually translate to success? I guess 50 or 150 opening both sound about as plausible as possible. Fuck knows... Oppenheimer on the other end feels like a reliable low-40's opening with good legs to take it past the century but under 150. Which would be quite good given what it is, really.