charlie Jatinder

SHANG CHI SECOND WEEKEND THREAD: 35.8M (-53%), DILF Leung Conquers #1 Spot | Free Guy 5.8, Malignant 5.6, Candyman 4.9, Jungle Cruise 2.4, Card Counter 1.1

56 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Speaking of The Rock…when is the next Jumanji movie coming out? I know COVID probably put things at a halt, but I would assume they would put a new movie in development by now, especially considering the numbers the last movie made. It’s very weird

There doesn't seem like there's much reference to the status of the next film. It's probably trying to find a suitable production date. That cast is probably hard to line up with their other commitments. 

Still, it is odd. Jumanji is a pretty powerful franchise, but, seems like one that can quickly fade from memory if it's gone too long. Plus, Sony has been able to keep its Spidey films on track during the pandemic. I'd think that Jumanji is at the same level of priority. 

Rock being one busy dude might be why Jumanji 3 (4?) is on the track that it is. 

I mean heck, he’s supposed to return to wrestling either this spring or ‘23 for a Wrestlemania gig, either way that’ll take schedule time away from movies

On 9/12/2021 at 2:50 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Malignant deserves to be seen in the most crowded screening possible. Not a movie I should be watching with just 3 other people there. Fuck WB for dumping this so hard. At least it's one of the few new movie releases that won't be forgotten for a long time.

Counterargument: from my own experience, I think it's best if you're the only one in the theater. I was spazzing out and jumping out of my seat because of how awesome this movie was that I looked like a total idiot. When you're alone, you're allowed to do this kind of stuff without getting judged and it's rewarding that you can go just as insane with gleeful joy like Wan did here.

Countercounterargument: being one of the few people to see Malignant on the big screen means you're automatically better than everyone else. Better to be in an elite group atop all the lowlifes rather than in a mass audience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Rock being one busy dude might be why Jumanji 3 (4?) is on the track that it is. 

I mean heck, he’s supposed to return to wrestling either this spring or ‘23 for a Wrestlemania gig, either way that’ll take schedule time away from movies

This is why I think Disney will keep the door open on JC2 as long as they can. The Rock is a scarce resource in Hollywood. If he's open to making a sequel, you may as well try. 

34 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Counterargument: from my own experience, I think it's best if you're the only one in the theater. I was spazzing out and jumping out of my seat because of how awesome this movie was that I looked like a total idiot. When you're alone, you're allowed to do this kind of stuff without getting judged and it's rewarding that you can go just as insane with gleeful joy like Wan did here.

Countercounterargument: being one of the few people to see Malignant on the big screen means you're automatically better than everyone else. Better to be in an elite group atop all the lowlifes rather than in a mass audience.

Ok, I mean I'm assuming the crowd would be into the movie as I am but that probably would not be true (some people I know who watched it found it to be actually really scary). When I watched watched OUATIH last year, there was a small crowd and I felt weird that me and my friend were the only people laughing during those final 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's what the movies who opened against and after TFA said...

XMAS releases

2015 - 936 + 150 + 345 = 1431

2016 - 532 + 270 + 245 = 1047

2017 - 620 + 405 + 415 = 1440

2018 - 335 + 190 + 542 = 1067

2019 - 515 + 320 + 233 = 1068

The above are first, runner up & all the other new openers released during XMAS or a week before and after.

Besides its not complete picture as there are sometimes holdovers like Frozen 2, Moana, Grinch that do big business in this period.

So yeah, XMAS is huge for the non biggest movies too, NWH will be falling in those 600M range, not TFA one.

34 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Cruella is manifold these in Korea & 3rd biggest Hollywood film in Saudi Arabia with $9.4M.

That’s amazing. For SA, is that all time or just this year?

Edited by RRA

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

XMAS releases

2015 - 936 + 150 + 345 = 1431

2016 - 532 + 270 + 245 = 1047

2017 - 620 + 405 + 415 = 1440

2018 - 335 + 190 + 542 = 1067

2019 - 515 + 320 + 233 = 1068

The above are first, runner up & all the other new openers released during XMAS or a week before and after.

Besides its not complete picture as there are sometimes holdovers like Frozen 2, Moana, Grinch that do big business in this period.

So yeah, XMAS is huge for the non biggest movies too, NWH will be falling in those 600M range, not TFA one.

But $600M may be the equivalent of $900M this year - I don't see us getting $1B DOM business from the Dec 17-25 releases in 2021...that's why, even though I'm sky high on Spidey, I haven't joined any of the "uber high" clubs yet, b/c DOM still hasn't shown any 50+ or 12 and under/family strength...gotta get the whole market back to have a chance at any of those numbers...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If you think so, then may be NWH will do 400 because 600 is what I thought it will do in best case normalcy.

And now you know why I'm not in the clubs...yet.

There are movies that could show true strength in some of the groups this fall (Ghostbusters/Encanto at Thanksgiving should REALLY set a tone for the possible holiday family audience - I guess Bond is our 1st true 50+ indicator)...so, if they come out and we see both big numbers AND big percents in these groups, we'll know Spidey could see the kinda numbers folks want:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits