charlie Jatinder

SHANG CHI SECOND WEEKEND THREAD: 35.8M (-53%), DILF Leung Conquers #1 Spot | Free Guy 5.8, Malignant 5.6, Candyman 4.9, Jungle Cruise 2.4, Card Counter 1.1

After seeing some of the uglier drops for big openers in the COVID era, I'll gladly take a 55% 3-day drop for Shang-Chi.

Based on the quiet buzz and the wildly mixed takes on its approach, I guess I'm not surprised that Malignant was just a blip on the radar. I'm actually pretty excited to check it out after hearing how bonkers it apparently is.

I'm also not surprised to see such a soft opening for The Card Counter (there were only three of us in the auditorium at the showing I went to last night), but it's still a bummer. Oscar Isaac is great in it.

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Why you keeping acting this way?

Maybe it´s me not paying enough attention but seems like everytime i see you here, is making these type of posts which honestly doesn´t bring any discussion and sometimes even look like a dismiss of people with data.

Charlie and EmpireCity are both good at what they do and they´re help the forum bringing to us very on point numbers to talk about hours before official numbers come out.

Honestly he probably should be banned at this point it's just a troll bit

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I wonder what James Wan thinks about this. Warner Bros have got so much good will to recover in the next couple of years. 

I mean he's getting a fat paycheck for Aquaman 2 and is producing like 30 other projects in varying stages of development over at Warner. Malignant will just be a minor bump for both parties.

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Scott baity headlines. Just see the comment section. People think it's doing bad :bagoverhead:

Scott has always been biased when it comes to marvel honestly he's went downhill big time. He's just not good at his job anymore. He prefers clickbait to substance, it's kind of sad and pathetic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Scott has always been biased when it comes to marvel honestly he's went downhill big time. He's just not good at his job anymore. He prefers clickbait to substance, it's kind of sad and pathetic.

It's funny considering he liked the movie but he became full clickbait for a while, it's nothing new.

But it's sad that almost all the "box office people" from twitter are leading people to a bunch of misleading information.

• Like 2

It would've been interesting to see how Malignant would've done without HBO Max. Most horror films recently have been doing $40m+ (even Don't Breathe 2 is looking to pass $30m) with solid multipliers, and Malignant is a pretty fun movie to see at a theater with a crowd, too bad it'll probably not even pass $15m. 

Edited by AdrianL
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, john2000 said:

not really shang will pass bw for at least 20 mill in dom and same with os numbers...also reminder black widow had a budget of 200 mill while shang chi has 150...by the end of their box office run and assuming both of them dont get released in china ...black widow will have break even if we add the pa number (which they hurt the film longterm) if we dont then no,while shang will probably break even from theatrical alone...if it also releases in china it will also return some profit and thats without dvd sales etc...so at the end of the day sc wil be more successfull than bw will be.Also in your other point black widow numbers are dissapointing there is no doubt about that ,the movie could have made more money if it was theatrical only...than it did now and the pa release also hurt it a lot in the overseas markets, as for jungle cruise that movie could have break even..the main problem was the budget which was very high to begin with and then we have free guy a movie that will finish with 350 or so and have a decent profit from theatrical alone.....

Not to mention the whole SC vs BW comparison is flawed to begin with. If you told me Shang Chi would gross close to Black Widow pre-pandemic I would have been stunned. We're talking about a movie featuring an established MCU fan-favourite character coming off a big role in Endgame vs. a new superhero most people have never heard of before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Based on the quiet buzz and the wildly mixed takes on its approach, I guess I'm not surprised that Malignant was just a blip on the radar. I'm actually pretty excited to check it out after hearing how bonkers it apparently is.

It’s funny, Malignant seems to be one of the most talked about films this year on Twitter, it’s everywhere lol. At least it’s getting a reaction from the people who see it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s funny, Malignant seems to be one of the most talked about films this year on Twitter, it’s everywhere lol. At least it’s getting a reaction from the people who see it. 

A lot of people will see it on HBO Max (and a gigantic majority will use torrents to see it).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

What people are missing about the whole debate is-

BW would have easily done better without a simultaneous D+ release.

Shang-Chi would have struggled to reach its current numbers and box office drops if it released same day on D+.

Well you have...

Shang Chi with maybe 450m WW.

BW with 375m WW with another 100m from PA.

So simply looking at Shang Chi's legs doesn't really tell the whole story.

Either way both strategies have their pro's and cons and either is more effective than HBOMax's free access on day one strategy which has both the weaknesses of the Disney strategies and none of the strengths.

• ...wtf 1

Well ignoring the fact Shang Chi is a MUCH lesser character than BW who was a fan favorite and it did not appear in other movies before its debut, one seems more impressive than the other.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 1