charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (17-19 Sep 21)

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, I can think of other things, but yeah, the likely under $50M Top 10 DOM is gonna be a trash weekend for the market.  Hopefully, we only have one more incoming for awhile (and who knows, maybe next weekend can surprise where this weekend is definitely not)...

We could be 1 weekend away from Venom 2.  But Sony decided to bail (and then took a u-turn 🤣).

Not forgetting Clifford the Big Red Dog could have opened this weekend. Sigh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Clint's recent Cinemascores:

Richard Jewell- A

The Mule- A-

1517 To Paris- B-

Sully- A

American Sniper- A+

Jersey Boys- A-

J. Edgar- B

Hereafter- C+

Invictus- A-

Gran Torino- A

Even Trouble With the Curve got B+

Hmm, I think I'm actually only positive on two of these (Sully and Gran Torino).

Venom making various moves probably ended up working out great for Shang-Chi since it should have another good hold at #1 next weekend with no competition (Dear Evan Hanson appears destined to be yet another stage-to-screen misfire). Hopefully it survives the October onslaught that's about to arrive.

• Like 1

The trailer for Copshop baffled me. Genuinely baffling as to how this was commissioned. I'm sure for all the world that it might be a perfectly good film with perfectly good performances but nothing about it communicated an even vaguely commercial prospect in the year 2021. Or indeed any year since around 1995. Just came across as a humdrum episode of a TV series with a few extra famous people in. 

Huge congratulations to Candyman since 50m is a pretty great return. I disliked the movie despite great visuals and performances since I found the narrative and treatment of themes to be a shambles, but am glad that it will surely have sent some back to rewatch the masterpiece of the original and that the original's status is being moved up prominence tables in horror history to the elite table where it belongs. It is also a big win for Nia DaCosta who shot the film beautifully and whose feet I don't really lay my blame for the issues I had with it (that would be Peele, since the same issues were present in both his previous).

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Funny that the 2 openers (Cop Shop and Cry Macho) skewed heavily old and Caucasian - now we know how few in those ranges will show up for a non-blockbuster adult-skewing movie...

That demographic is also just not going to theatres yet during the pandemic. 

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 1