charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (17-19 Sep 21)

Weeekend quite as expected, except family movies trucking along a little stronger. Will do a sep % analysis tomorrow, for now some projected totals:

JC 2m wknd, 112.5 cume, 2.8M week, low 120 finish

FG 5M wknd (easily a record), 108.4 cume, 6.8M week… 130 finish?

SC 22 wknd, 177 cume, 32.5 week, ~240 finish depending on how it stands up vs competition

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Weeekend quite as expected, except family movies trucking along a little stronger. Will do a sep % analysis tomorrow, for now some projected totals:

JC 2m wknd, 112.5 cume, 2.8M week, low 120 finish

FG 5M wknd (easily a record), 108.4 cume, 6.8M week… 130 finish?

SC 22 wknd, 177 cume, 32.5 week, ~240 finish depending on how it stands up vs competition

Disney is killing with this multiplers.

Raya got a 6.43x

Cruella got a 4.05x

JC finishing with 120M will get a 3.42x

FG finishing with 130M will get a 4.58x

SC finishing with +240M will get a 3.2x

The only exception will be BW with a tepid 2.28x

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really wish people who want theaters back and thriving would go see adult dramas like Tammy Faye, Cry Macho or Card Counter in addition to the big comic stuff. Theaters need those, too

Dear Evan Hansen is probably flopping next week

I did my part yesterday! Card Counter was a great film, though I was bewildered how the reactions from others when I was leaving consisted of "I don't get it. What was the point of the movie?" The shit wasn't that deep lol

3 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

I did my part yesterday! Card Counter was a great film, though I was bewildered how the reactions from others when I was leaving consisted of "I don't get it. What was the point of the movie?" The shit wasn't that deep lol

the theater was nearly empty when I saw it last week and those remaining were reacting the same way 🤣

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really wish people who want theaters back and thriving would go see adult dramas like Tammy Faye, Cry Macho or Card Counter in addition to the big comic stuff. Theaters need those, too

So, I know that people like these movies and like seeing them on the big screen. I’m not hoping for them to go extinct or anything.  

But… strictly speaking… do theaters need them? If adult dramas were permanently down like 50% vs pre-pandemic and superhero movies were up like 15% it’s pretty conceivable that theaters would come out ahead financially.

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

At least two of those titles would have the old people going for them if not for the pandemic. Maybe not great numbers, but better numbers regardless.

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It’s tough to justify paying for Crying Macho when it is free on HBOmax.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

But… strictly speaking… do theaters need them? If adult dramas were permanently down like 50% vs pre-pandemic and superhero movies were up like 15% it’s pretty conceivable that theaters would come out ahead financially.

Yeah, theaters do need them.

• Like 1

Not even one single movie coming close to 10M OW during the entire month except Shang-Chi. What a disaster. We are very far away from any sort of solid marketplace for movie theaters. 

Just now, CJ Sarandos said:

Not even one single movie coming close to 10M OW during the entire month except Shang-Chi. What a disaster. We are very far away from any sort of solid marketplace for movie theaters. 

DEH will probably be close, could even pass 10M. Rest of this shit wasn’t hitting 10M OW in normalcy anyway (malignant or macho might have with an exclusive model).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Not everyone has HBO MAX

And HBO Max isn't free, either.

Personally I think we're a bit too quick to lay most/all of the blame for underperformance at HBO Max's feet.  Finding out their actual user base (as opposed to people who could qualify for it due to having HBO via a multi-channel subscription but aren't actually using the HBO Max service) has been a bit difficult though admittedly I haven't tried that hard.

Still, I tend to think that while HBO Max is a factor, I do think it's a bit of an overstated one.

Even if “people who pay for a max account of their own watch it on that instead” isn’t the only causal mechanism, it seems pretty clear between Macho Malignant Reminiscence TSS that Max releases are putting a real drag on movies. Some of that may also be account sharing, direct piracy, movies not “feeling like” events, or WB marketing less because the financial equations around marketing are different.